User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO there is not even 1 gun out there worth 2x its normal price. Not even close and certainly nothing made by Glock or Sig (and I say that as someone with many of both).

I guess if I was desperate meaning I had no guns and the only way to get one was to pay 2x the price then maybe I guess but I would be perfectly happy having a collection of nothing but CZ's and HKs
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I currently own a P320 X-compact, and I am looking for another one - so far I really like the P320 platform, but I am open-minded. I primarily want to know which guns people in the US would be willing to pay double for. That would say a lot. So far Colts 1911, Glock 19 and some HKs came into discussion... PSA Dagger is rarely available here.
View Quote

In the interest of being transparent...I have impulse bought a lot of them.  So I own quite a few of various makes/models/types and some I buy because they're just different and the engineering behind them interests me.  Now if prices were doubled overnight and I was starting over from nothing this is what I'd do.

Striker fired gun - whatever fits you ergonomically and feels good.  Sig gets a slight nod here because you can really tweak the platform due to the modularity.  Since the slide and barrel are regulated you have more for playing around with how it's configured.  I assume that the FCU is also regulated there, correct?  I would tend to lean towards the compact length rather than the full size personally, but that's just my preference now since it's the most "flexible" option and if you play with red dots on pistols the slide length is almost immaterial.  Recoil wise the full size slides always are smoother feeling.  Glocks to me are not pretty, they don't fit me all that well, but I was issued one and took it on deployments.  I appreciate them for the fact they're utilitarian tools - nothing more, nothing less.  Iconic in their own right, but frankly if you can get a PSA Dagger for the same price, or less, than a factory Glock I'd lean that way.  Now if you don't care about possibly modifying the polymer Glock frame permanently, or if it ergonomically fits you, then go with it.  Me personally, I like my aftermarket Glock compatible frames more than my Glock OEM frame, even though I shoot them both equally well.  

Hammer fired guns - I GREATLY prefer SAO guns to DA/SA guns.  I'm personally a huge 1911 guy (but I carry Glocks) so I'm severely biased towards that platform or a double stack version of a 1911 (2011, Stacatto, Para pattern, etc.).  Don't rule out other brands than just Stacatto.  Be aware though that 2011 style mags can be finicky and require tuning.  I have a Para pattern double stack 1911, those have been reliable but not nearly as customizable and they're heavier than a 2011 style gun. I just got a Hi Power clone, and they're another iconic gun but I don't think it would be my preference to be honest.  

Revolvers - I ignored revolvers for a long time.  I bought a S&W model 67 police trade in as an impulse purchase because it was cheap.  I'm not a "revolver guy" but I do really enjoy shooting mine.  A 4" barreled 357 magnum is a fun gun to shoot.  The triggers on revolvers really are something else and fantastic in both DA and SA.  If I had to get just one it would be a 4" barreled S&W 686 plus or a Ruger GP-100 match champion.  You may want to look into Korth revolvers and see how they're priced there.  Here they're more than I'm willing to spend but they're pretty rare and niche guns here in the US.  Maybe not as much the case there since they're a German manufacturer.  

DA/SA semi autos - CZ (also look at clones, but being in CZ I'd probably stick with a domestic manufacturer) or Sig are the top two names in the game.  I don't care for HK's DA/SA guns and I own a USP Compact.  P30's are better ergonomically but I still don't care for how the triggers feel.  Sig P226/229 are cool guns with proven histories with many model options to pick from. I was issued a M-11 (Sig P228/229) and it was an OK gun but still not my preference.  The original P210 is considered one of the top 9mm guns and are expensive as all get out here.  Likely the same there, and more than I'd be willing to pay in the US for one.  CZ-75's are another iconic gun and I affectionately refer to them as the "Eastern European 1911".  Just got an Israeli CZ-75 clone and it's a neat gun for sure.  The Berettta M9/92FS gets shit on a lot because of the slide mounted safety - but honestly it's one of my favorite 9mm guns to shoot because it's been insanely reliable and is very very smooth.  I recently converted my 92FS to a "G" model which turns it into a DA/SA decocker only - no safety.  With a match trigger kit, D spring, and the G conversion it's really quite fantastic.  I was also issued a M-9 and deployed with one, never had any issues with them but I would swap out all the "key" parts with my personal stuff.  

I wouldn't honestly be willing to pay "double" for anything but that's because I'm fortunate and have had the opportunity and means to own a lot of different guns.  But from my base of knowledge and experience if I had to start from scratch keeping budget in mind I would buy

P320 compact or carry - slide cut for a red dot and a few different grip modules to play with
1911 or 2011 style gun - full size 45ACP for single stack, 9mm for double stack
4" 357 magnum revolver (can shoot 38 special out of it) or 44 magnum revolver (can shoot 44 special out of it)
CZ-75 DA/SA but can be carried/used in SA with a safety on, or Beretta 92/M-9 series gun.

This would cover you for everything from range fun, to competition, to carry/defense.

EDIT - Also wanted to add you should check out Walthers....I don't own any and haven't paid them much attention till recently.  You don't need to be a fortune teller to see that I may be looking for one in the nearish future.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't honestly be willing to pay "double" for anything but that's because I'm fortunate and have had the opportunity and means to own a lot of different guns.  But from my base of knowledge and experience if I had to start from scratch keeping budget in mind I would buy

P320 compact or carry - slide cut for a red dot and a few different grip modules to play with
1911 or 2011 style gun - full size 45ACP for single stack, 9mm for double stack
4" 357 magnum revolver (can shoot 38 special out of it) or 44 magnum revolver (can shoot 44 special out of it)
CZ-75 DA/SA but can be carried/used in SA with a safety on, or Beretta 92/M-9 series gun.

This would cover you for everything from range fun, to competition, to carry/defense.
View Quote

Thank you for your exhausting answer. You seem to have exceptional knowledge in this regard, and I will keep your points in mind. Your list mentioning four types of essential handguns is really good, makes sense, and I will probably stick to it! Thank you once again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
No matter what you buy, only buy things you can readily feed and repair. If you cannot get ammo or replacement parts, it is just a paperweight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I couldn't think of any gun I have I would pay double for.

The closest I could come was my HK USP 9mm which I paid $425 for used like new.  I love that thing.  But I wouldn't pay $850 for one.

I had a couple P7M8's, I paid $650 used each for.  They are very cool and unique, but I wouldn't give even $800 for one.  I sold them for a hefty profit.

The next one that came to mind is my .32 ACP CZ Skorpion, which I SBR'ed.  I paid around $500 new for it, but wouldn't give $1000 for it.

So...just stick with CZ and HK I guess.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
My VP9 match, actually most HK handguns can be had for very good prices below MSRP, exception 9mm Elite and the MK23
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd just buy CZ and HK
View Quote

Yeah that's what I did for years with no complaints.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
There’s only one gun in my collection I’d pay double for, and that’s just because they’re such a crazy good deal to begin with. Same cost as a CZ75, but you have to get a Shadow for twice the price to compare.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd just buy CZ and HK
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd just buy CZ and HK
View Quote

This.

I would add FN from my personal perspective though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Believe me, there are many people in the Czech Republic who say that "CZ is not what it used to be anymore" and praise SIG instead - as ridiculous as this can sound to the American customer. HK's are great, but their overall portfolio is more suited for duty use in my opinion (with few exceptions of course). Thought about picking up the USP compact, or P30sk before the Xcompact, but the small magazine size and overall bulkiness dissuaded me. If they'd update the USP compact to fit more in 2023, then I would say that its almost worth a double of a double in terms of pricing.
View Quote

The USP models will out-shoot anything costing under $1500~ USD. That's why the USP models still sells like they do 40 years after their introduction.

Accuracy. It's ALL about accuracy.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A 10mm DA/SA CZ pistol would rule over there. You’d be the only Cool Kid on your block.
View Quote

CZ makes one. Model 97, made in .45acp & 10mm. Has been discontinued though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#15]
No mention of vintage FN Browning Hi-Power 9mm?  Good ones from the 1960's - 1970s with deep bluing and original checkered walnut are worth double.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]
what can you get spare parts for in the EU?

Lets figure it this way:
1) competition... hard to beat the shadow/ts/checkmate line unless you are gonna fork over insane money for custom 2011s (better to have the CZ and ten thousand rounds of ammo)
2) rimfire... kadet kits work wonderfully. otherwise one tandemkrossed/volquartesen fully kitted out 22lr 22/45 or MkI, or one quality S&W 617 10 shot 22lr revolver for a lifetime of 22lr fun (over here rimfire pistols have many shooting sports to compete in).  IMO no pistol collection is complete without a solid full size 22lr.  My kadet kit runs so good and is so accurate and reliable I'd pay $800 for it if I had to (thankfully I got mine when they were $400 but they have doubled here).
3) home defense / duty:  HK is fine, or some 9mm flavored glock gen5 that would last you forever... surely there would be plenty floating around the EU?  Not sure I could pay $1000 for a glock if I could by an HK P30 / USP for same money.  Im pretty meh on the P320 but alot of people like them as combined HD/DUTY/COMP guns as they are quite customizable here.
4) CCW (legal in .cz right?):  This one is EASY:  Sig P365 of some flavor (regular, X, XL, MACRO), whatever.  The gun carries so easily and packs 11/13/18 rounds in a shockingly small package.  The 10-shot 365 can be pocket carried or deep IWB concealed, slap a 12rounder for a better grip and a couple of 17rd reloads.   I'd absolutely pay 2x or even 3x to have this gun and its various accesories  as its the best thing going for a civilian-CCW piece.  (I dont know how it works there, but here the FCU is the "firearm part" and frames are <$100 by the mail, so you can have "one" but be able to reconfigure it with different slide/barrel/frame sizes/lengths to your hearts content).  You can also select manual or NO manual safety.  I suppose you could carry a P01/RAMI or a smaller HK pistol, but the P365 feels like a single stack gun but holds double stack ammo.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The only gun I could see myself paying double the price for that I own is my CZ Shadow 2.  Feels and shoots like a much nicer gun.  They're priced just above $1,000 here in the US.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only gun I could see myself paying double the price for that I own is my CZ Shadow 2.  Feels and shoots like a much nicer gun.  They're priced just above $1,000 here in the US.
View Quote

Indeed, they are a steal.  The shadow 2 sao's were $899 at psa which was borderline robbery, they run very close in performance to a $2200+ dwx, having shot both.
I know the ts2 is supposed to be "the" SA cz gun... I like not having to buy different mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.   I have a lot of Daggers.   Most cost me around $225 to $275, all in, thanks to various PSA sales (lower with AR lower for $100, so like $50 each, plus complete upper on sale for $159, also free shipping).    All of them have been 100% reliable over several thousand rounds each.   I have only one Glock anymore (a G26), which may go also if the Micro Dagger turns out to be100% reliable.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#20]
In your shoes I’d buy a CZ P01 or PCR and get a short reach trigger kit.

I have a Shadow2 and a P07.  I bought the P07 when I was looking for the then not available PCR or P01.   The CZ75 Compact was just too heavy for carry.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd just buy CZ and HK
View Quote

Yep, in fact, I picked up a CZ Tactical Sport 2 and VP 9 Tactical last week.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top