Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2022 11:41:01 PM EDT
This is probably opening a can of worms big enough to sink a tugboat.
What would you say is better in terms of accuracy and longevity in a .45 acp chambering?
Glock 21
H&K USP/ HK45
Others
Factors i consider most are ease of maintenance/ parts availability and commonality. Reliability, and accuracy.
Bear in mind this is strictly for .45 acp
Primary use is likely competitions like IDPA and CMP service pistol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Most simple? Glock 41/21

Most accurate? A good built 1911

Best mix of accuracy and simplicity? HK Elite USP
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not a big fan of 1911s.  I don't hate them, I'm just not orgasmic over them, either.  I bought a Glock 21 to replace my then-current carry gun, a 1911.

But for the above usage, I'd go with a 1911.

Infinitely customizable, accurate, and proven.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I lean towards the nostalgic in this one. My grandfathers were in the Army during WWII  my great grandfather was a tin can sailor and his brother was killed in the Argonne in 1918. I try to remain objective as I previously sold one because i got tired of changing magazines every 8 rounds. While not perfect, and can be outclassed by other platforms in different calibers it still is in my mind the most faithful service pistol we will likely ever have. I’m considering buying or building one close to original specs as a tribute to that. I feel a need to make a better representation of that legacy than the piece of shit universal carbine that was my grandfathers that is finally out of commission. It’s leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Its hard to beat a well built 1911 in accuracy but its the least easiest to fix. Most parts are required to be fitted. Some may drop in or need just a small amount of fitting but some require a good amount of skill to work right.

Glock is decently accurate with the most available and common drop in replacement parts both factory and aftermarket. You could upgrade some parts to get a bit more accuracy out of it.

Usp is accurate and reliable. Parts can be had for a premium of the glock but all just drop in without fitting.

Glock and HKs should last a lifetime with minimal parts needed other than springs/pins.

Well built 1911 will also last tens of thousands of rounds if you keep up on maintenance.

It really comes down to what you shoot better on a game gun. I carried a DW Vbob for years and took it through a couple 2 day classes and it never failed the time I had it. Had about 8k rounds through it when I finally went back to a Glock (like I always do. Lol) Mine was 9mm but I would think the 45 would run the same or better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Most reliable? probably HK

Most accurate? a well built 1911
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
P-220
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
There will still be 1911s in working condition when nothing is left but rats and cockroaches.  

For a duty gun Sig P220 or HK45 or Glock 21SF all beat the hell out of hearing complaints:  "that officer is carrying his pistol cocked in his holster!!!"  Of those I believe the HK45 is the most accurate almost as accurate as an H&K  P9s
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#8]
HK Mk23
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HK Mk23
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Easy choice for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Well these two 1911a1s are still in fighting shape after 79 years.
So that would be my vote.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hands down, a quality 1911!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
All my 45s are 1911s.... Well except for the high cap 1911 Para P-14 clone....
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#14]
M&P 45 2.0 is the best .45 I've shot and is probably one of the most slept-on guns in the market.

I've owned HKs and Glocks in 45 and for a polymer gun, it has a great sized grip and is extremely accurate.  With an APEX trigger the pull can rival a 1911.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
"The one on your hip when the gunfight starts".  

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#16]
1911 hands down
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
For accuracy, reliability, longevity, HK USP45.  Cheaper version, Glock 21 gen 4.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
glock
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Having owned many 45acp my vote goes to HK

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Glock 21, no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#21]
A S&W 45XX-series, in particular the 4506-1 or the 4566 ... or a ‘Made in W.Germany’ P220.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm biased but the P220 Carry is my favorite. Accurate, dependable, and just the right size to carry
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd be content if a good 1911 was my only gun period. Not "happy" because I like guns but I could get most of my hunting, competition, and SD done with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
P-220
View Quote

Gets my upvote as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Damn, I’ve got one of those RO compacts in the EE now.  May need to rethink that one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
P-220
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I actually had an M&P 45 which i traded out for the glock I currently have. 13 was better than 10 and my hand size changed. I miss the beavertail and thinner grip. The stupid hump on the glocks is horrendous. Shot a mk23 and was not impressed with it. The sights were so damn small in comparison to the rest of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The stupid hump on the glocks is horrendous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The stupid hump on the glocks is horrendous.
Have you tried a gen 4 or 5 Glock?
That solved the grip problem for me.

Shot a mk23 and was not impressed with it. The sights were so damn small in comparison to the rest of it.
What do you want, giant sights?

They're already large and tall for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn, I’ve got one of those RO compacts in the EE now.  May need to rethink that one.
View Quote

I liked mine.  It ran fine and was decently accurate , I just couldn’t get used to the short grip.

It got replaced.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HK Mk23
View Quote

This is a joke, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
A G21 is a tank but I’d probably select 1911 anyway
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Hard to beat a G21 hands down but I really love my M&P 45 2.0. It's fantastic!

Edit: pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What would you say is better in terms of accuracy and longevity in a .45 acp chambering?
Glock 21
H&K USP/ HK45
Others
Factors i consider most are ease of maintenance/ parts availability and commonality. Reliability, and accuracy.
View Quote

Are you good tuning and fitting your own extractor?  If the answer is no, then I'd rule out a 1911.  Because if you shoot 1911s enough, eventually you'll need to do some maintenance on the extractor which involves hand fitting.

I own 1911s and enjoy them as pistols.   But they are definitely a step up in complexity for long term maintenance than a modern, striker fired polymer pistol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is a joke, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK Mk23
This is a joke, right?
Not in these 2 departments:

OP said he's most considering ease of maintenance, parts availability and commonality. Reliability, and accuracy.

They're super low maintenance (only the O-ring wears out; will function without it).

They're not likely to break anything, ever, so spare parts aren't really a concern.

You could stock a spare recoil spring assembly, but I've never heard of anyone having to replace a worn one. Mine was made in 1998 and still going strong.

We know they can eat over 30,000 rounds of .45 Super from the ridiculous government testing, and maintain their accuracy.

Are there more practical, newer, and smaller models available that are more likely to benefit the OP in a competition environment? Yes, of course, but they won't have the accuracy with longevity at the same level as the Mark 23. It's just too overbuilt to wear out.

Gamer guns win games, but require more maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OP said he's most considering ease of maintenance, parts availability and commonality. Reliability, and accuracy.

They're super low maintenance (only the O-ring wears out; will function without it).

They're not likely to break anything, ever, so spare parts aren't really a concern.

You could stock a spare recoil spring assembly, but I've never heard of anyone having to replace a worn one. Mine was made in 1998 and still going strong.

We know they can eat over 30,000 rounds of .45 Super from the ridiculous government testing, and maintain their accuracy.

Are there more practical, newer, and smaller models available that are more likely to benefit the OP in a competition environment? Yes, of course, but they won't have the accuracy with longevity at the same level as the Mark 23. It's just too overbuilt to wear out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK Mk23
This is a joke, right?

Good points, but I disagree that it's the end all, be all in the areas you described.

All of those attributes are available in currently available .45's, without the need for the absurd size. The 23 sits on a short list of one of the toughest, most accurate combat pistols ever made, but it is in fact a list of more than simply that pistol.

I fully understand the robust build of the 23 as well as the accuracy, I simply view them as a collectible and somewhat historical relic of days gone by. I'm sure yours will serve you well, no doubt about it. There's a reason why its service life was extraordinarily short and it has nothing to do with accuracy or reliability, those attributes are beyond debate. How many professionals (SWAT, Military, contractors), whose jobs demand the use of the best available secondary firearm would pick the 23 as that pistol? There's a good reason for the answer to that question and it has nothing to do with caliber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
M&P 45 2.0 is the best .45 I've shot and is probably one of the most slept-on guns in the market...
View Quote

I don't know if it is "the best" -- all of the others mentioned are excellent, but the M&P 2.0 .45 is very nicely sized - it doesn't feel like holding a 2x4 and it isn't bigger than it should be.  It's a great pistol.

I personally don't like the H&Ks - they are just too chunky and the G21 has a grip that is just too fat.   They have legendary reliability - but I definitely prefer others over them.

I still lean toward 1911 though, and I guess I always will.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How many professionals (SWAT, Military, contractors), whose jobs demand the use of the best available secondary firearm would pick the 23 as that pistol? There's a good reason for the answer to that question and it has nothing to do with caliber.
View Quote
Yeah they didn't want them because they're huge, and huge means slower draw speed. They don't fit everyone's hands either, and there's no changing the grip size.

It's also a lot of bulk for something you've got to carry 80% of the time and fire in anger possibly never.

The only SEALs who I've read were particularly fond of it were the SDV teams, because of its saltwater corrosion resistance and reliability. (Contrary to what's shown on TV, most SEALs keep their weapons dry and stowed in a bag while going over-the-beach).

It's never been my top pick for daily carry either. I went from a P226 to a Glock 17 gen 5 in my professional career. My fellow SWAT guys (locally) are getting away from their older G34/35 and going to a G17 with RMR.

Another downside of the Mark 23 is being severely limited regarding rail-mounted accessories and holsters.

Some guys over at HKpro did a great job addressing that first problem by having limited runs of an old Surefire prototype Picatinny rail adapter produced. (It sits closest to the frame.)

Everything is an engineering compromise, and most people don't need the maximum longevity that exists, or the ability to reliably cycle everything from weak Winchester white box ammo to Triton .45 Super without swapping a recoil spring.

As you hinted at, there are other attributes which might make a certain model the best tool for any particular job.

OP will have to decide exactly which combination of characteristics he really wants, especially if he's looking to compete.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah they didn't want them because they're huge, and huge means slower draw speed. They don't fit everyone's hands either, and there's no changing the grip size.

It's also a lot of bulk for something you've got to carry 80% of the time and fire in anger possibly never.

The only SEALs who I've read were particularly fond of it were the SDV teams, because of its saltwater corrosion resistance and reliability. (Contrary to what's shown on TV, most SEALs keep their weapons dry and stowed in a bag while going over-the-beach).

It's never been my top pick for daily carry either. I went from a P226 to a Glock 17 gen 5 in my professional career. My fellow SWAT guys (locally) are getting away from their older G34/35 and going to a G17 with RMR.

Another downside of the Mark 23 is being severely limited regarding rail-mounted accessories and holsters.

Some guys over at HKpro did a great job addressing that first problem by having limited runs of an old Surefire prototype Picatinny rail adapter produced. (It sits closest to the frame.)

Everything is an engineering compromise, and most people don't need the maximum longevity that exists, or the ability to reliably cycle everything from weak Winchester white box ammo to Triton .45 Super without swapping a recoil spring.

As you hinted at, there are other attributes which might make a certain model the best tool for any particular job.

OP will have to decide exactly which combination of characteristics he really wants, especially if he's looking to compete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many professionals (SWAT, Military, contractors), whose jobs demand the use of the best available secondary firearm would pick the 23 as that pistol? There's a good reason for the answer to that question and it has nothing to do with caliber.

Well said.

And for what it's worth, if i had an endless budget for firearms, which I don't, I'd most definitely add a 23 to my collection. I certainly appreciate it for what it is. The cool factor particularly when suppressed is extremely high.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The truth.  There's no such thing as "the best handgun".  What you can do is find "what are some of the best options for a handgun in .45 acp where I want to prioritize X,Y and maybe Z, but I'm willing to trade off A, B and maybe C.

The internet seems to drive people towards simple answers to complex questions.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The truth.  There's no such thing as "the best handgun".  What you can do is find "what are some of the best options for a handgun in .45 acp where I want to prioritize X,Y and maybe Z, but I'm willing to trade off A, B and maybe C.

The internet seems to drive people towards simple answers to complex questions.  

View Quote
Your avatar is appropriate given your response

But yeah pretty much.  This is such a nuanced question it's akin to Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I think for .45ACP, a 1911 should be left out of the list. There is nothing else that matches a good 1911 and its infinite customization and versions. For me, this list starts with - "other than the 1911s what is the next best .45 ACP handgun"?

As for the answer, not sure, there are many but the HK USPs are really really good. Another that comes to mind is the S&W 4566 (no longer made) which was super smooth to shoot. The Glock 45 cal pistols I have never tried but are on my list of handguns to get.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]
How about the rarely mentioned G30SF?

It’s a viable concealed carry gun if you need a 45 cal. It holds 10 rounds with the flush mag.

I am a fan of both 1911s and G21s.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1911 hands down
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
In my case, it will be a 1911 with no bells or whistles.
Just as God made it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#44]
MK23 .45 that shoots like a 9mm
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Glock 21
H&K USP/ HK45
Others
View Quote

41 MOS is the best blend; the ease of mounting an optic is likely the best boon for practical accuracy, and availability of spare parts / durability is second to none.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

41 MOS is the best blend; the ease of mounting an optic is likely the best boon for practical accuracy, and availability of spare parts / durability is second to none.

https://www.riflegear.com/images/product/large/3727.jpg
View Quote

Didn’t they have durability issues compared with the g21
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I like my 1911 commander and HK USP45f, but lately I have been shooting my used M&P 45 1.0 with Apex kit/trigger the most.  I also have a Shield 45 that I put the Apex sear and Hyve Technologies trigger in that I like.  

Keep an eye out for used M&P 45's.  I got one from a friend that put less than 50 rounds thru it and needed to sell it to help buy a truck.   I see them pop up locally from Police trade ins.  For a little over 100 bucks in Apex parts, you can get a really nice pistol.  I will not say 1911 nice, but nice.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#48]
The obvious answer is an M1917
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd say the one that you shoot the best and is 100% reliable. In my case that's a 1911. I love Glock and my EDC is a G19, so I wanted a G21. I bought one planning to carry it until I found out it is unreliable with hollow point ammo. So it sits in the safe unused while my 1911s get used frequently.

I also have a HK USP Tactical for my suppressor host but I've never shot it as well as a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Of the three .45 acp hand guns I own, it's the HK 45, by a mile.

Uber reliable with any ammo, and I shoot it better than the other two. (Slightly modified Springfield GI 1911, and S&W Model 22-4).
I do admit that the S&W wheel gun is the sexiest one of the bunch though, and I'd take it all day over the 1911.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top