Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2020 1:03:04 PM EDT
I am shooting 180g. Winchester factory loads and have been experimenting with the recoil springs included with my TSO. The heaviest spring will occasionally cause a failure to feed if I inadvertently 'limp wrist" it when shooting in a hurry, but my recoil buffer stays intact. Shooting with the next lighter spring eliminates the FTF malfunctions, however it is destroying the recoil buffer. I am considering ordering the CGW tuners spring pack, and would like to know if anyone else is using factory loaded 180's and what spring weight they are using. Should I keep replacing buffers or eliminate them? Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I run my .40 TSO without any buffers and with a 12 pound recoil spring.  No issues with this setup and no unusual wear on the frame, slide or barrel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Update: I got my CGW springs in yesterday and tested out two different weight springs, 13LB and 14LB.  Using the 14LB spring with buffer and shooting 180gr. purple winchesters, I had a FTF every 5 rounds. I believe spring tension was too much to allow full slide operation to the rear. 13 LB spring totally eliminated any FTF and caused no shredding of my buffer, so I will probably just remove the buffer and be good to go. As previously mentioned 12 LB spring is probably perfect, unless I shoot some hotter 155g federals in my stash. I guess I'm just overly cautious and concerned about damaging my firearm by running without the buffer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
12lb spring and get rid of the buffer
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Kendogg, I learned by trial & error 12 LB spring was the ticket. 13 LB was still causing occasional problems.  Hard to believe such minor differences in spring weight could make such a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top