Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2020 8:27:39 PM EDT
Hi
I'm having difficulty locating information on what optics (scopes and red dot) will fit on a XIX .44 in 6" and survive. I only shoot maybe 500rnds a year with it.

I mainly shoot metallic silhouette and I'd like to try both a red dot and a scope to see if it's to my liking. I'm located in Australia and our dealers don't keep allot of stock on hand so I can't try various options in store. I assume all XIX with the multi slotted barrel are picitiny.

What has worked for you, what hasn't, and feel free to upload a picture?
Thank you
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The recoil on Desert Eagles isn't as bad as most revolvers due to weight and the way the heavy slide deals with the shock.
The rail slot spacing isn't true picatinny, but width is normal enough to work with most anything.  So you can't use one of those offset mounts like everyone used to put on their AR, as it spacing spans many slots.

As far as long term, I have used a couple of cheap pistol scopes and a couple of moderately more expensive with good results.
Here is an example of a cheap one... UTG, kind of big and heavy, but has survived the recoil anyway.  Probably a bit too cheap, so could be hit or miss.

I use the classic Leopolds as were offered through Magnum Research for years as well.  They are simple, but tough.  I can't tell you the model numbers however.  I bought a Nichols scope in the 90's also, and ran it on my 50AE for many years, thousands of rounds without issue.  All of these classics I run are low power. (1x to 2x)

There should be a lot of people with a lot of experience and opinions with sighting systems for these guns... maybe they will stop by soon. :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple Ultradots for both my 10" barrels. Guys been mouthing these to 1911 slides since 1989, long before rdr sights became the cool thing to use.

Made in Japan, not china.

My only complaints are the included mounts are kinda cheesy and the polarized lens (if you bother with putting it on) will rotate from recoil and dim your sight picture.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everyone

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:

I use the classic Leopolds as were offered through Magnum Research for years as well.

MrBlackCat
View Quote

Great looking set-up. I've been looking for a little while for s classic leupold in fixed focal around 2x. There are not expensive here (Australia) but just not very common. I'm jealous of how many I see for sale in the USA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top