Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2020 7:23:53 PM EDT
So I am helping my niece buy a handgun and we were going through web sites to get her familiar with various models prior to going to the gun store.  I noticed that Springfield still makes 1911s without light rails.  I thought WTH.  Why on earth in this day and age would you ever buy a gun you can't easily mount a light or laser on?  What is the point?

Do people still buy these brand spanking new model-Ts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people buy guns for fun and not business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy a pain 1911 over one with a light rail.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would buy a pain 1911 over one with a light rail.
View Quote

I’ll second that .
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Needless complication on a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to buy a Ronin Commander in 9mm.  If I ever see one in the wild.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I am helping my niece buy a handgun and we were going through web sites to get her familiar with various models prior to going to the gun store.  I noticed that Springfield still makes 1911s without light rails.  I thought WTH.  Why on earth in this day and age would you ever buy a gun you can't easily mount a light or laser on?  What is the point?

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously though, is your niece going to be carrying a gun with a mounted light in her purse, or where ever?
I think at least 90% of people ccw without a light mounted. Look at major holster makers, pretty much the only light bearing holsters are big huge duty holsters that feel like a brief case on your hip.
I've been able to buy light bearing iwb holsters on eBay, buy they're all made by kitchen table manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Read through this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/EMPTY-YOUR-POCKETS-Lets-see-your-CCW-rigs-and-60-PICSand-62-/10-28422/?page=80
The "empty your pockets, show me your daily carry" thread. Very few lights. Surprisingly large number of revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If I have the cash in the spring, I plan on buying a decent 1911. It WILL NOT have a rail. Rails on 1911s are an abomination against God and his disciple, John Moses Browning. I'll grudgingly admit that a rail and light make sense on a duty type gun, but I still don't like it, at all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Why buy a 1911 period?

Boomers.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
What in the holee fook do people see themselves doing with a concealed defensive pistol that they'd need a light for?  For a duty gun or housegun? Certainly.  For a daily carry gun? Nope.  Need as uncomplicated as possible. A 1911 and BHP have a really nice thin carry profile with nothing clipped onto them.  Comfortable and clears leather quickly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What in the holee fook do people see themselves doing with a concealed defensive pistol that they'd need a light for?  For a duty gun or housegun? Certainly.  For a daily carry gun? Nope.  Need as uncomplicated as possible. A 1911 and BHP have a really nice thin carry profile with nothing clipped onto them.  Comfortable and clears leather quickly.
View Quote

I live way up in the mountains. It gets real dark here early. I normally get home after dark. My father has actually been chased by a bear in our driveway. The bear would have got him if I hadn't driven up and scared it. So yeah, I'd like to see the bear when I here a growl in the dark when I'm unlocking my gate. I'm in the process of outfitting most of my carry guns with lights and holsters.

I'm pro choice though. I support your choice not to have a light.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
1911s with a rail are disgusting
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I am confused. Springfield have multiple Operator (railed) offers in production models (Loaded / TRP) and from custom shop. That's been there for more than a decade.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1911s with a rail are disgusting
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I noticed that Springfield still makes 1911s without light rails.  I thought WTH.  Why on earth in this day and age would you ever buy a gun you can't easily mount a light or laser on?  What is the point?

View Quote

Not a single one of my 1911s have a rail nor will I ever own one that does.

The point is, not all of us want to give a perp an aiming point in the dark. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not a single one of my 1911s have a rail nor will I ever own one that does.

The point is, not all of us want to give a perp an aiming point in the dark. YMMV.
View Quote

I hear that argument a lot. It's your opinion, or school of thought, and that's ok, but I've wondered my self if a "perp" would be able to look at me and take aim at me when he has 1,000 lumens shining in his eyes? I've had some of these bright lights shined in my face and my eyes literally hurt. I guess you're right though if you don't see the perp and you're pointing the light in the wrong direction and he's on your peripheral. Without lights by either party, I guess you'd both pass like 2 ships in the night and never know the other was there.

Another thought is you don't have to use the light just because it's there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I guess you're right though if you don't see the perp and you're pointing the light in the wrong direction and he's on your peripheral.
View Quote

Or if he's hidden & you're clearing an area. A light may not hit him right in the face is what I'm thinking. I prefer a light held out to the side, away from my body. Better safe than sorry, no?  
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#21]
A couple thoughts here.. anyone who doesn’t want a rail on their Carry 1911 because they don’t want anything complicated....why are you carrying a 1911, it’s about the most complicated platform out there.. don’t get me wrong I like 1911’s just that argument baffles me..lol... next I prefer a light on my carry handgun.   I have one on my duty gun and after trying for about 30 years to figure out how to efficiently use a handheld light and shoot, I find it awkward.  Either the light or the gun is not pointed where I want them.  I also like to have my off hand free for other things, defensive moves, making sure my son or wife are out of the way, ushering them where I need them..whatever, I just like having a free hand ...if nothing else I personally am a helluva lot more accurate shooting with both hands.  Everyone is entitled to their preferences and if it works for you that’s great, just my .02 cents.  So I prefer rails on my pistols
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry a shield with TLR6 and a G19 with a TLR7, why even have a gun without a light?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#23]
How about a M&P Shield EZ 2.0?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]
There are many like me who buy to carry, and a rail is useless.  Sure there MAY be peeps who can stuff a railed lit gun down their pants comfy, but not me
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol, if you are somehow surprised that a solid 80-90% of 1912's aren't railed, you clearly don't pay attention to the 1911 scene at all.

It would be like complaining about revolvers don't have rails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
People buy handguns without rails?

My first 1911 doesn't have a rail because I wanted a Springfield with front-strap checkering and a mag-well, but didn't like the bull-barrel or adjustable rear sight on the TRP Operator and couldn't afford a railed Professional.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Except for AR15 pistols, none of my handguns have flashlights on them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I was involved in an incident that a involved a handgun in the dark.   I had a light in my pocket but in that case, I was glad that the light was mounted on the weapon because I needed my other hand for other things.    If I only had a handheld light then I most certainly would of had to drop it when I needed my weak hand.   I think that options are good.    Carry a light for your weak hand and leave one on the gun.   If the situation warrants, hold the light off to the side in your weak hand.   But if the situation warrants, put that light back in your pocket (or drop it) and use the weapon light.   There are valid reasons for both tactics.  

2HUT8
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
If Jesus shoots a Kimber, I need to pray more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top