Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 5:33:58 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I have a Colt that I'd like some information on.  I'm not 100% sure on exactly what it is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Any ideas what the crossed something proof mark is?  What does "/380" mean?

Attachment Attached File

British proof marks?
Attachment Attached File

What does the "B" and "S" signify?
Attachment Attached File

"ATP913" or "ATD913", what could that mean?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool pistol.  

I think those are British proof marks.  And l   think 380 is how they mark their 38's. I could be wrong though, but that's the vibe l get from them.

Took me a while, and some sleep, to remember.

The Brits called the .38 S&W (shorter than the .38 Special) the .380/200.

So I'll bet the gun is chambered in .38 S&W, unless someone lengthened the chambers to .38 Spl.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I called Colt this morning and ordered a letter for it.  The rep confirmed that it is an Official Police made in 1939, so it is not an original Commando.  With the British proof marks it will be interesting to see who originally bought it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Obviously non original barrel ( bummer) I would not be surprised if it turned out to be shipped in the era of the “British purchasing commission “ of about 1939/40 when the British feared a German invasion and were buying up anything and everything to defend the home islands. During this period they bought up every odd Colt they could including 38 super 1911’s double action revolvers in every caliber available and even single action army revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Obviously non original barrel ( bummer) I would not be surprised if it turned out to be shipped in the era of the "British purchasing commission " of about 1939/40 when the British feared a German invasion and were buying up anything and everything to defend the home islands. During this period they bought up every odd Colt they could including 38 super 1911's double action revolvers in every caliber available and even single action army revolvers.
View Quote
Any idea what this is worth?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
With the replaced barrel not much maybe a couple hundred bucks
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
How can I tell if it is .38 Special or .38 S&W besides cambering a round?  A .38 Special round fits into the cylinder just fine, so I presume it is safe to shoot?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of S&W Victory's were made for England in .38 S&W, and when many of them were brought back to the US they were re-chambered so they'd fire .38 Special.

It's possible this Colt was also re-chambered.
If so, it's safe to shoot, (as long as the gun itself is not defective), but will bulge cases and possibly split cases every now and then.
Shoot a cylinder or two and inspect the cases.  If they aren't damaged the gun was either an original .38 Special, or someone has installed a new cylinder.

This Colt probably had a 4 or even 5 inch barrel originally.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Lucky for you I know how to read British proof marks and they say your gun is NFG. Send it to me and Ill waive my disposal fees. JK, sweet sixgun man.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt hit my credit card for the letter this week.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Letter received and reflects caliber as "38/c". Any idea what that means? It originally had a 6" barrel and was blued. It was sold to Winchester and shipped to the British Purchasing Commission, New York, New York. There were 226 guns in the shipment and the pistol was delivered in June 1940.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice pistola and cool story
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
that is seriously cool
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Letter received and reflects caliber as "38/c". Any idea what that means? It originally had a 6" barrel and was blued. It was sold to Winchester and shipped to the British Purchasing Commission, New York, New York. There were 226 guns in the shipment and the pistol was delivered in June 1940.  
View Quote
Back then, Colt often listed guns in documentation chambered in the short .38 S&W as ".38 C" or ".38 Colt".  
Since Colt didn't want S&W's name on their guns, instead of using ".38 S&W" they simply changed the shape of the bullet nose to a flatter shape and called it the "Colt .38 New Police", and guns chambered for it were marked "Colt .38 N.P.".

So, this Colt was probably a .38 S&W-.380 British, but would be listed in factory documentation as a ".38 NP.  
It most likely had checkered wood grips.  
The WWII Plastic "Coltwood" grips were introduced in the early war, a few years after this Official Police was shipped.
Either the cylinder was replaced or simply re-chambered to .38 Special.  If so, cases will bulge and may split.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With the replaced barrel not much maybe a couple hundred bucks
View Quote
Not at all. I think it's right about where the OP paid for it, IMO.

If *I* had both the gun AND the $$$, *I* would send it to Turnbull Restoration & let them work their magic on it. Yes, it wouldn't make it worth any more than the $500 he paid for it, but would make it purdy..........  

I love those old snubbies. Makes me want to talk like Jack Webb in Dragnet.  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top