Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2020 7:38:17 AM EDT
I know we had a few discussions on the under/over appreciated ones, but just wanted to get a thread started on the folks favorite sleeper handguns. Mostly great guns that never caught or had low sales, flew under the radar. Some might even be going down in price, even in the current pandemic times. I will quote a few to get started.

SIG 2022 - basically a polymer framed SIG P226 clone

Caniks - Walther inspired but great bang for the buck
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Walther PPS M2.  Everyone jumped on the Shield or G43 train, but the PPS M2 is an incredible handgun for CC.

Mag prices are a little high, but I picked up mine with 2 mags for $280 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much any gun from Turkey.  Wow, they make good stuff cheap over there!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Tasis/SDS 1911 - recently picked up one in 9mm. Runs flawlessly. Have about 1500rds thru it now and it just keeps getting smoother. I will soon get the 1911A1 .45 Army version.

Walther P-1 - started seeing a lot of these showing up some months ago. Purchased a minty one made in 1978. Runs superbly. Accurate. Spare mags affordable. Probably get another.

Ruger LCP II in .22 - this little thing works great. Runs and runs. Like any .22auto it has to be cleaned every couple hundred rounds but mine runs great. Accurate enough. Spare mags a little difficult and expensive to get. Unlike its .380 brother its a lot of fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The Beretta 81 series that are being imported and sold cheap.  

I have owned 2 Beretta 85’s for years...love them since they fit my hand like a glove...kind of reminds me of a Hi Power.  Just picked up 2 Beretta 81’s in .32acp...12 round capacity.....  $219 each.  Great little gun

If some reason America brain farts and votes Mr. Dementia (Biden) in...these imports will most likely be gone.  Buy cheap...stock deep.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
FEG High Power clones.  Get the High Power experience at a price that represents their actual worth.

Walther P99, a truly great pistol that the unwashed masses just passed right over.

Walther PPS.  It was thin before it was fashionable.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Great answers so far.

I used to say Tanfoglio pistols generally but their steel frame pistols bring solid prices on gunbroker these days. Good buys even at these prices but it stings a bit given how cheap they used to sell.

I’ll second the FEG Hi-power. If you pick the right model, it’s an exact 1:1 clone and well made even if slightly rougher in finish.

I think the Walther CCP is an incredibly underrated carry pistol. Fits the hand well and shoots gently...which is never a bad thing. Fast follow-up is a great thing. No reason to act macho about recoil in a self-defense weapon.

I’ve just discovered the FNS. You can find a used one for a good price on gunbroker. Good performance and FN quality at that price point? Count me in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

I think the Walther CCP is an incredibly underrated carry pistol. Fits the hand well and shoots gently...which is never a bad thing. Fast follow-up is a great thing. No reason to act macho about recoil in a self-defense weapon.

View Quote

That gun ^^^ has a piss poor track record and almost ZERO resale value because of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Second the Walther P99 AS. Nice guns that never caught fancy and soon after the PPQ ate up all its market.

Right now they are selling a bit over priced for $500+ due to the panic buying.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree with the Walther PPS M2. My favorite for carry.

Also the FN FNS-9 is a great pistol. Good ergonomics, ambidextrous controls. I really like the 4inch barrelled 17rd full size pistols. Got my first at AIM with 3 mags for $329 and my second, also from AIM, with 1 mag for $299. Neither has hiccuped with any ammo I have put through them and both are quite accurate as well.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really have any sleepers I'm digging, just stuff thats really starting to take off (CZ's), stuff thats not the cutting edge of popular (1911's, classic Sigs, and Beretta's), and a few of the modern boring crap (Sig m17's, 320's, and Glocks)

Unfortunately all of them are north of $500ish, generally speaking.

I wish there was a cheap hi-power out there that was a good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
PPS is nice but I think is severely outgunned in its class by the likes of Canik TP9 Elite SC, the mini Glock brothers (44,43x, and 48), Shield 2.0 etc. still a good buy if you want to collect a German made one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Caracal F
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:
Caracal F 
View Quote

The Caracal Enhanced F is hard to find and way overpriced what it is when available at $699 and above.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
FEG High Power clones.  Get the High Power experience at a price that represents their actual worth.

Walther P99, a truly great pistol that the unwashed masses just passed right over.

Walther PPS.  It was thin before it was fashionable. 

View Quote

Walther P99 was phenomenal, I loved that gun in every way. It was the first gun I ever bought. I regretted it big time after I sold mine. I'm always on the lookout for another. What I want to know is where did they all go? Nobody was buying them then but now you can't find them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:50:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Grand Power pistols.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Jerichos. I don't like the way CZ's shoot yet somehow the Jericho feels much better.

Canik doesn't get the respect they deserve aside from value.

Hk P2000. It's a hammer fired G19 sized pistol from HK.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Grand Power is a good one. And so are Caniks.

HK P2000 is nice and I have one, but does nothing better than a USP. Plus USPs are better collectibles.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Come'on guys thats it? No inputs? Lets get this moving
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got two Ruger SR9c pistols.  

For some reason, when I take out new female shooters, they love it.

I removed the mag safety on both, but actually like the visual loaded chamber indicator with new shooters.

I carry one AIWB often in shorts.

Both were under $250
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bob9181:
HK P2000 is nice and I have one, but does nothing better than a USP.
View Quote

Mounts standard lights without ruining it's holster options. Interchangeable backstraps for those like myself that find the USP Compact grip too narrow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Walther P99 - never understood why it didnt take off.  Friend of mine has one and i shoot it better than most of my poly pistols.  Very accurate and has been reliable for him for just about 20 years.  Unique trigger system for sure.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I love mine.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Browning BDM

Not the most fun or best shooting guns I've ever owned but they are interesting nonetheless.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By aq_1980:
I've got two Ruger SR9c pistols.  

For some reason, when I take out new female shooters, they love it. 

I removed the mag safety on both, but actually like the visual loaded chamber indicator with new shooters.

I carry one AIWB often in shorts.

Both were under $250
View Quote

I have one as well. Snagged a carbon figer SR9c a few weeks off of gunbroker. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. The slide is a bit thicker than the glock/M&P stable and the plastic seems a bit lower quality but I like the CF look on them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#26]

I have one as well. Snagged a carbon figer SR9c a few weeks off of gunbroker. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. The slide is a bit thicker than the glock/M&P stable and the plastic seems a bit lower quality but I like the CF look on them.
View Quote

Are you sure about the slide thickness?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Glock 19.

An inexpensive, ubiquitous, polymer 9mm with global use and unmatched after market support that is also reliable and very accurate.  Because it's so common people just want something different but it checks all the boxes and is still the king "do it all" pistol.

GSSF/Blue label = $400 new.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been surprised with the Canik I bought.  Didn't know much about them and after they were mentioned here I picked up a TP9SFX.
A solid pistol for a very reasonable price.  First gun I've bought that had a factory cut slide for optics.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Walther PPS
Beretta PX4 (Full size or compact with the rotating barrel. I have no experience with the sub compact version)
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Steyr.

Their pistols and rifles are not very popular in the USA but very high quality.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheRealCocowheats:
Steyr.

Their pistols and rifles are not very popular in the USA but very high quality.
View Quote

Tried a friends Steyr M9A1 a few times. Very picky with ammo. But mostly ran fine with the 124gr and above grain ammo. Guess like some European ones was made to better suit the 124gr NATO spec ammo.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Steyr M9A1 these are very well made, accurate and has a very good trigger. My M9A1 feeds any ammo like a sewer pipe 100% reliable. With my aging eye's I like the triangle sights they help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Tried a friends Steyr M9A1 a few times. Very picky with ammo. But mostly ran fine with the 124gr and above grain ammo. Guess like some European ones was made to better suit the 124gr NATO spec ammo. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheRealCocowheats:
Steyr.

Their pistols and rifles are not very popular in the USA but very high quality.

Tried a friends Steyr M9A1 a few times. Very picky with ammo. But mostly ran fine with the 124gr and above grain ammo. Guess like some European ones was made to better suit the 124gr NATO spec ammo. 

Yep, best results with hot ammo.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#34]
The Zenith Girsan MC28's are fantastic pistols in terms of quality, content and shocking accuracy right out if the box.

These Turkish M&P clones with a Glock-type blade trigger were a steal when you could find them for $279 (or sometimes le$$)

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Yep, best results with hot ammo.
View Quote

Looking forward to get the new M9A2s when (and if) they fall a little in the price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sca037:
The Zenith Girsan MC28's are fantastic pistols in terms of quality, content and shocking accuracy right out if the box.

These Turkish M&P clones with a Glock-type blade trigger were a steal when you could find them for $279 (or sometimes le$$)

https://spotterup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Girsan-1.jpg
View Quote

Yes ^^^

They aren't as good of a deal now that EAA is the importer and steals all the mags in typical fashion.  Shipping with only 1 mag now is a crime...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DCopp:
Pretty much any gun from Turkey.  Wow, they make good stuff cheap over there!
View Quote

My TriStar c100 is one heck of a handgun.  A few Cajun parts and it runs and shoots like a 1k 1911. And I own or have owned a couple of the 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
Tasis/SDS 1911 - recently picked up one in 9mm. Runs flawlessly. Have about 1500rds thru it now and it just keeps getting smoother. I will soon get the 1911A1 .45 Army version.

Walther P-1 - started seeing a lot of these showing up some months ago. Purchased a minty one made in 1978. Runs superbly. Accurate. Spare mags affordable. Probably get another.

Ruger LCP II in .22 - this little thing works great. Runs and runs. Like any .22auto it has to be cleaned every couple hundred rounds but mine runs great. Accurate enough. Spare mags a little difficult and expensive to get. Unlike its .380 brother its a lot of fun to shoot.

View Quote

I’ve been looking for a P1. Where have you had luck?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Walther PPS M2.  Everyone jumped on the Shield or G43 train, but the PPS M2 is an incredible handgun for CC. 
View Quote

Not really. PPS M2 was too big for the capacity and just "ok". I much preferred the G43 or what I have now, a 45acp XDS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KCode98:

Not really. PPS M2 was too big for the capacity and just "ok". I much preferred the G43 or what I have now, a 45acp XDS.
View Quote

I shot a PPS M2 at my local range (rental) recently and it didn't seem on the level of PPQ or even the P99. The range guy also told me that hardly anyone picks for the range and it doesn't see much use. In fact, I was the first one in about a year to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#41]

I shot a PPS M2 at my local range (rental) recently and it didn't seem on the level of PPQ or even the P99. The range guy also told me that hardly anyone picks for the range and it doesn't see much use. In fact, I was the first one in about a year to shoot it.
View Quote

The PPS is most definitely NOT on the same level as the PPQ and P99, but for the purpose it was intended (self defense) it does a good job. I have both the P99 and PPQ (5") and there's no comparison between their triggers and that of the PPS, but the latter was never intended to be a "range" gun per se. Just trying to get things into perspective. That being said, my PPS M2 is now my primary carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Finnish Mosin-Nagants...   They are some of the ugliest rifles ever made, but the Finnish ones can produce some really startling good shooters.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Finnish Mosin-Nagants...   They are some of the ugliest rifles ever made, but the Finnish ones can produce some really startling good shooters.
View Quote

this is a handgun forum...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RUT:

The PPS is most definitely NOT on the same level as the PPQ and P99, but for the purpose it was intended (self defense) it does a good job. I have both the P99 and PPQ (5") and there's no comparison between their triggers and that of the PPS, but the latter was never intended to be a "range" gun per se. Just trying to get things into perspective. That being said, my PPS M2 is now my primary carry gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RUT:

I shot a PPS M2 at my local range (rental) recently and it didn't seem on the level of PPQ or even the P99. The range guy also told me that hardly anyone picks for the range and it doesn't see much use. In fact, I was the first one in about a year to shoot it.

The PPS is most definitely NOT on the same level as the PPQ and P99, but for the purpose it was intended (self defense) it does a good job. I have both the P99 and PPQ (5") and there's no comparison between their triggers and that of the PPS, but the latter was never intended to be a "range" gun per se. Just trying to get things into perspective. That being said, my PPS M2 is now my primary carry gun.

The PPS isn't a bad subcompact, but it fell behind the Shield, and the P365 gained a lap on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Beretta U22 Neos- I’ve shot a crap ton of ammo, north of 4K rounds through it. It has been nothing but reliable and bombproof. It is more accurate than me and eats any kind of crap I feed it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DCopp:

this is a handgun forum...
View Quote

I guess many folks don’t even read the heading, forum header or topic ...hahaha. That was funny though!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Finnish Mosin-Nagants...   They are some of the ugliest rifles ever made, but the Finnish ones can produce some really startling good shooters.
View Quote

I honestly get the best results when I cut the grass on settings 3-4. I find 2 to be too low and it burns in summer. And at 5 just simply makes you cut more often.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#48]
in my carry gun search, I came across a SW 457 (7 shot DA/SA in .45)... it was aluminum frame, had polymer sights, and very square slide (I hit the edges with a radius cutter)...lightweight, very accurate with a pretty good SA trigger... ramped barrel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_457
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:
I’ll second the FEG Hi-power. If you pick the right model, it’s an exact 1:1 clone and well made even if slightly rougher in finish.

[snip]

I’ve just discovered the FNS. You can find a used one for a good price on gunbroker. Good performance and FN quality at that price point? Count me in.
View Quote

The Regs are a great value, that held well against my Browning HPs. Fit & finish on the Brownings was a bit better though.

Recently picked-up a FNS9 long slide. Haven't fired it yet though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know we had a few discussions on the under/over appreciated ones, but just wanted to get a thread started on the folks favorite sleeper handguns. Mostly great guns that never caught or had low sales, flew under the radar. Some might even be going down in price, even in the current pandemic times. I will quote a few to get started.

SIG 2022 - basically a polymer framed SIG P226 clone

Caniks - Walther inspired but great bang for the buck
View Quote
I have a Sig 2340 that I bought from CDNN for under $300.  Mags aren't cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top