Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2020 5:42:25 PM EDT
I dont hear alot about this model here I bought one as another possible carry gun to have.
I like the ergonomics and trigger way better then the Glock 26.
Cant shoot it yet since ranges are closed still.
Any one here own one that can tell me their experience with it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and traded it off... kind of sorry I did. VERY accurate, and I will say the trigger seemed quite light... almost to light.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and I love it. The trigger is light years again of the Glock 26, and the ergos sealed the deal for me. I'm 600 rounds into mine, and it has eaten everthing from Tula to Federal 124gr HST's with boring dependability. The only change I've made was to add some Truglo TFX Pro sights.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I've given up on sub compacts I have owned a g27, Walther p99c, & I could not shoot either well enough to like themI do better with a S&W model 60 but still not great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I dont hear alot about this model here I bought one as another possible carry gun to have.
I like the ergonomics and trigger way better then the Glock 26.
Cant shoot it yet since ranges are closed still.
Any one here own one that can tell me their experience with it?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/503649/waltherppq-scfeature-graphic975x505-1395323.jpg
View Quote

I am glad you posted this as I have the same questions. I see this pistol on sale now for around $430 and all the reviews I have seen have been positive. Let me know what you think about it when you shoot it.

There are some that say it is cheaper made than other Walther offerings but time will tell as to whether or not that is true.

I might pick one up myself in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am glad you posted this as I have the same questions. I see this pistol on sale now for around $430 and all the reviews I have seen have been positive. Let me know what you think about it when you shoot it.

There are some that say it is cheaper made than other Walther offerings but time will tell as to whether or not that is true.

I might pick one up myself in the near future.
View Quote

Will shoot it soon
The quality is the exact same as the full size PPQ trigger pull is almost identical
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting. Are your ranges still closed down there?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting. Are your ranges still closed down there?
View Quote

No, most are open just packed to the brim where an 1-3 hour wait is not considered unusual.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
@AKJJ

Totally missed this thread until now.

I got a PPQ SC last month as my birthday gun and I put a fair amount of ammunition through it while I was waiting for the hostlers for it to arrive, one of the benefits of having a range in my back yard. So here's what I can say based on about 7 weeks worth of experience with it, with the obvious caveat that these are just my opinions:

- The trigger is a PPQ one, so if you're ever shot one it's pretty much the same as the "normal" sized ones. If not it's got a little bit of take-up, you hit the wall and then it goes bang, the reset is about .1" so you can do follow up shots really quickly. Stock PPQ triggers, in my experience, are as good (or better) than most aftermarket triggers on most other polymer guns.

- I don't feel it's made any more "cheaply" than any other PPQ, the one thing I can see that people may be looking at to say that is that the insert in the slide is polymer and not metal. They did that to keep weight down and for balance issues. I don't have a problem with it not being metal because it's not in a place where I can see it getting much wear. Plus: the Walther Warranty is really good if it would happen to.

- Because of that insert though the slide cycles faster than a non-SC PPQ, so Walther recommends not using "regular" 15 round PPQ magazines in an SC because the mag springs in them may combine with the faster cycling to cause feed issues. I've actually used some normal, factory PPQ mags in my SC (both with and without using the sleeves from the 15 round PPQ SC mags - because they also recommend always using the sleeve to prevent over-insertion) and they worked fine, but since Walther says not to do this I won't recommend anyone doing it. Mag prices are...well, Walther mag prices.

- With the 15 round SC magazines in the gun, the size is pretty much the same as a "normal" PPQ's; you're basically just missing 1/2" or so worth of slide length. That makes it nice for extended range practices or to show off the versatility of the gun to someone thinking about getting one.

- I'm sort of strange in that I do not clean and lube a new pistol before I shoot it, for one thing I just want to go shoot the thing right now, and for another I like to see what it will and won't eat straight out of the box. I shot 250 rounds with it the first time it came out of the box using 124 grain Federal, 124 grain Blazer Brass and 115 grain Ruger Range (2 boxes each of the Federal and Blazer, 1 box of Ruger) and had zero issues. No failures to feed, fire, extract or eject. It just ran like a top. Subsequently (and after cleaning and lubing it) I've shot it quite a bit more and had the same results, no mechanical failures at all with the gun and only one failure to fire (115 grain Winchester White Box) which was ammunition related. I haven't put any steel cased ammunition through it yet, because I generally don't like it.

- The one I got was a LE model with factory phosphoric sights, the sights work just like any other Walther sights and are easy to pick up. At some point I'll put tritium ones on it but the factory ones work as intended. The glow on them seems to last about an hour after they've been taken away from any light source, but I haven't really paid close attention to that.

- Out of the box it was very accurate and easy to shoot. In some reviews I've seen people saying they found it to be a little "flippy" but I didn't find that to be the case at all. Followup shots were fast and easy. For some reason I've always shot Walthers out of the box better than any other pistol, I don't know why but I don't mind.

- The slide-release is fully ambi and works equally well from either side, the mag button comes set up on the left side of the frame but there is a spare one that comes in the box which you can use to switch it over to the right side if you want.

- Stripping and cleaning is the same as on any other PPQ, if you've taken apart a Glock you know how to take apart a PPQ, it's easy; just make sure you clear it first.

It took about 3 weeks for my holsters to get here, by the time that happened I'd decided that not only would I switch from a PPS to the PPQ SC as my main carry gun, but that I was more than a little bit in love with the thing. I've had no problem at all concealing it in shorts and a t-shirt with a Bravo Concealment IWB holster. Is it a bit heavier than a PPS? Yep. But not so much as it would cause most people issues. I mean, for a while I used to conceal a full size M&P 45 so I pretty much forget I'm carrying anything the size of the PPQ SC when it comes to weight/bulk.

Some things to keep in mind when you're getting one though is that in addition to the phosphoric sights the LE model also comes with one of each of the 3 magazine types:

- 10 round flush
- 10 round with pinky extension
- 15 round SC with sleeve, it's also marked "PPQ SC" on the bottom of the baseplate so you know it's an SC magazine even if the sleeve is off of it.

Whereas, the "standard" PPQ SC comes with the 10 round flush magazine, 15 round SC magazine with sleeve and 3 dot sights.

All of the models come with 2 backstraps, I left the one that was on it (the small one) because it works fine; changing the backstraps is pretty simple though if you'd want to.

As far as cost (at least what it was during the first week in June) goes it was $491 out the door. That included the PA sales tax, transfer and PICS (PA version of NICS) fees, all in all I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially since the non-LE version was only going to be $30 less and I figure that that's less than the price of the extra magazine that came with it and I can consider getting the glow-y sights for free on top of it.

So that's my experience with my PPQ SC so far. I can't say enough good things about it. If I could make one request of Walther it would be to also offer an M1 style version with the paddle mag release, I don't have a massive preference one way or the other, but I do like the paddles too.

TL;DR version: It's a really good pistol and I'm extremely happy with mine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for your informative and in depth review. You sold me on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for your informative and in depth review. You sold me on it.
View Quote

Thanks, I hope if you get one that you like it and that it works well for you.

Everyone who has shot mine has liked it. In fact, my brother is possibly looking at getting one to replace a Walther CCP as his carry gun; and the only reason it's just "possibly" is that he's always had a gun with an external safety for carrying purposes and he's a little set in his ways but we'll see. It's also become my mom's favorite range gun, she also carries a CCP but that's because she has arthritis and it's the easiest pistol for her to rack the slide on.

Yeah, my family has quite a few Walthers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, I hope if you get one that you like it and that it works well for you.

Everyone who has shot mine has liked it. In fact, my brother is possibly looking at getting one to replace a Walther CCP as his carry gun; and the only reason it's just "possibly" is that he's always had a gun with an external safety for carrying purposes and he's a little set in his ways but we'll see. It's also become my mom's favorite range gun, she also carries a CCP but that's because she has arthritis and it's the easiest pistol for her to rack the slide on.

Yeah, my family has quite a few Walthers.
View Quote

That's good to know. My wife currently carries an M&P Shield and for her it can be hard to rack at times. Maybe the Walther would be a better carry option for her as well.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't shot one, but a friend bought one and brought it by to show me.  Ergonomics were great and so was the trigger.  It seemed well made.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Update:
Went and shot it last week it was accurate and handled recoil well for its size.
Don't hesitate to buy it if you can find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top