Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2023 10:15:52 AM EDT
Somewhat considering one of these, don't have one in the collection currently.

Some YT reviews are surprisingly good, anyone have personal experience?

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, no-one?

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
No review but sitting in a parking lot across the street from that building.??
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I still have my Interarms version so I can't comment on recent quality. I can say it has as much recoil as any 380 I know of. Unless you just want the James Bond appeal, it is not something I would spend my money on today. There are better and cheaper 380 choices.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed the Walther PP, PPK, PPKs is a very old design.   Typically the Walther are accurate with the fixed barrel.   I had an Interarms US manufactured PPKs and stainless US made PPK.   I had light firing pin hits with any primers but Winchester with the PPKs.   I liked the size of the PPK but traded it when my Agency transitioned away from DA/SA autos to Glock.  I think the Glock 42 is a better 380 than a PPK/PPKs but the Walther pistols are classy.   My Glock 42 is basically the same size as a PPK, has better sights, just as accurate, more reliable and a better trigger.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/walther-ppk-vs-glock-g42
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
With the currant crop of great micro 9s ,is there any reason to consider  a 380 ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice all.

Going to pass on this plan, was just looking for the collection.

A friend is coming up for a gun show this weekend and has couple war time PPK he's offering to sell.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a S&W PPK/S.

New, out of the box, It was rough.
I had a gunsmith, polish, de-burr,
etc., etc. the pistol.

It runs well, accurate, but damn,
it must have left "QC" in the factory
on a Friday at 4:59PM.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Had three of them I sold recently.
Would not feed reliably hallow point - which I considered a serious flaw (continuous hiccups to say the least), stout recoil (all of three .380ACP).

Trigger still the DA wartime. Carried one a couple of times, would go to the range, try and shoot it, get pissed and get back home.

Not again.

Just kept a 1965 original because I love Bond. That's about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had three of them I sold recently.
Would not feed reliably hallow point - which I considered a serious flaw (continuous hiccups to say the least), stout recoil (all of three .380ACP).

Trigger still the DA wartime. Carried one a couple of times, would go to the range, try and shoot it, get pissed and get back home.

Not again.

Just kept a 1965 original because I love Bond. That's about it.
View Quote
This is an accurate summary of the more common issues found with the S&W produced versions...  for both .32 & .380 you would likely be better served with ball rather than hollow points.
When shooting jacketed round nose the jamming/feeding issues are mostly eliminated as this is what it was originally designed for.  Jamming can be improved by polishing the feed ramp, throating etc.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a post recall Smith PPK in 380.  Mine has been reliable with ball.   Honestly haven’t run any hollow points as they’re hard to find and often expensive.  I’ve carried a time or two.   I freely admit I bought it because of James Bond.  

The good.    Reliable, surprisingly accurate, single action is at least usable.  It’s just effing cool  The Smith tang cured hammer bite.  

The bad.  Heavy, too heavy for pocket carry.   Double action is bad but that’s a Walther thing.  

I like it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is an accurate summary of the more common issues found with the S&W produced versions...  for both .32 & .380 you would likely be better served with ball rather than hollow points.
When shooting jacketed round nose the jamming/feeding issues are mostly eliminated as this is what it was originally designed for.  Jamming can be improved by polishing the feed ramp, throating etc.

View Quote
(I kept the .32ACP - the original caliber it had been designed for - because I love Bond. Grew up with it)

Hamilton II by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I kind of want one just to have.

My dad carried a PPK/S back in the day as an undercover cop because it wasn’t a “cop gun”.  Was the first handgun I ever shot and just have nostalgic memories of it.  He ended up selling it years later when the dept went Glock only, but always thought it was cool.

Absolutely no need for one, and realize how outshined they are, but if I can across a good deal I’d get one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Confession time: I carry my .22 PPK/S once per year when I wear a tux and go dancing with my wife.  In a Galco Executive shoulder holster.  Because Bond.  If I could find a PPK at a reasonable price I'd carry the PPK instead, because Bond.

The rest of the time it's something else.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With the currant crop of great micro 9s ,is there any reason to consider  a 380 ?
View Quote

Or Micro .45s? PPKS vs my daily carry.

I really just want one to fill out the collection. I'll see what my buddy has to offer this weekend.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(I kept the .32ACP - the original caliber it had been designed for - because I love Bond. Grew up with it)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51916063114_5437cc40ed_h.jpgHamilton II by Solo__, on Flickr

View Quote

We need a "Like" button.  That's beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the S&W PPK/s. One of my favorite firearms. No problem getting all blacks at 10 yards rapid fire. It has never hiccuped no matter how loosely I've held it. I only use FMJ, 90-100 grain as it was what it was designed for, mostly S&B as I find European .380's a bit hotter than the standard American counterparts. If I have one issue is that I'm left handed and because of the decocker, I carry it right handed. No problem as I practice with both hands but still, how hard would have been for a lefty version.

When I went to buy one, I already read up on the issues that others where having and the best I could come up with were: bad magazines, wrong ammunition, recoil springs were put back in backwards or that the ramps needed polishing. What I have are good mags, the right ammunition, the spring is in correctly (tight coils first) and my ramps look like mirrors.

The peanut with a couple of it's bigger brothers, it is stainless, it's just reflecting the surroundings that were black:

Attachment Attached File

JETA: You can knock 1/2" off the height in your handgun Hero image as the one they have is using the extended mag grip. My image has both the flat and extended mags. I use the flats to carry and the extended as Xtra mags. I like the S&W version over its predecessors due to the extended beaver tail. Yes, it added a bit of length but I get absolutely no bite from it.
Closer to:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
They are neat guns but would stay away from the S&W collaboration pistol. I always wanted one and at the time I wanted one, the Wather models were pricey comparatively, so I got the S&W/Walther and after firing it once, got rid of it. The trigger pull was horrendous and every edge of the gun was sharp and would literally cut into my hand after firing. The actual Walther PPK has a 2 part wraparound grip which is way more comfortable to hold than the 2 piece on the PPK/S. While it still has a heavy trigger pull and is heavy, if you are a James Bond fan, it is one to get.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Ft Smith Arkansas PPKS. First pistol I ever bought was in 1974 Interarms PPKS. It would shoot ball ammo reliably but had problems with hollow points. My new one shoots anything you put in it. Stupid expensive, heavy, horrible double action trigger, but on the other hand the single action trigger is great, fixed barrel gives great accuracy even with the fixed sights. Mine has the walnut grips. I just wanted one for my collection so cost was not an issue. Won’t carry it either….I just wanted one.Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top