Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2018 12:08:44 AM EDT
I picked-up a unusual vintage shoulder holster in nice shape today for my Colt Cobra.

Wolfram Leather produced them for Colt then they were bought out by S&W's parent company around 1968 and they made the S&W line of leather holsters. In 1979 S&W's parent company at the time sold it to Gould & Goodrich.

Once I got it figured-out and properly adjusted it is easily the fastest shoulder holster I've ever used.

Basically your ring finger hooks the grip and the revolver just pivots right into your hand. Very smooth.

Attachment Attached File

Here's one sorta like it that shows how it's worn:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]

pics don't work!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics broke, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Pretty slick huh?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics broke, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Pretty slick huh?
View Quote
Ah, that must be that type of upside down holster you were talking about in another thread. Till you mess with one it's sorta hard to explain it without pics.

Pics should work now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice find! And in super condition also. The upside down revolver Steve McQueen made famous in the 1968 block buster movie Bullit. Have read many times over the years from retired cops that after the movie came out, you then saw many Detectives wearing them. Steve McQueen jump started the sales on this style of holster like Clint Eastwood did the 44 magnum revolver in Dirty Harry. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
This type of holster was also described in one of Flemings James Bond books.

They work remarkably well and are fast!!!  Old school sometimes is good
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The upside down shoulder holster was commonly used by plain clothes detectives when sport coats were common back in the late 60’s & 70’s.   Anything cross draw is frowned onto today because your sweeping in front of you on the draw stroke.   When I got into LE the cross draw uniform holster were still in use.  Several State Police Agencies issued cross draw holsters.   Many departments felt it was safer to have the weapon on the opposite side of a passenger in a police car.

In years past it was very common for a Police Officer to have stopped motorist sit in the Police car.   The Illinois State Police used to issue a cross draw Clarino flap holster for the S&W model 39.   The Iowa Troopers and a few western states carried cross draw holsters for many years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
My first issued piece was a Smith model 10; we were only allowed to carry issued firearms on and off duty at the time.

I had that holster and used it for years.

I actually dug it out and gave it to a guy who wanted to carry a model 10 currently.

I used it working plainclothes, it was not very secure in a fight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in the early 80’s I worked a sport coat management job where my S&W 36 was my constant companion in my Bianchi 9R upside down shoulder holster. Very comfortable and secure. The small Chief’s Special concealed perfectly under a sport coat.  I wore that thing for years until I changed jobs and the “sport coat” was a thing of the past.  I still have it somewhere in my heap of old holsters - but I don’t think I’ve worn it in a year that starts with a 2.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
When Wi first went to cc, and needed a total concealment for work, used upside down Ken Null holster with 38 snub.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm

Secure deep concealment under a tucked in collar shirt.  Yes, it required practice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC the original was the Berns-Martin holster.  It was even mentioned in a James Bond movie for the PPK even though it had not never been catalogued.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The Ken Null upside down holster is my tuxedo holster. An alloy J Frame carries wonderfully.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]
It is also fast for the other guy to draw from your shoulder holster...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is also fast for the other guy to draw from your shoulder holster...
View Quote
You've never used one of these have you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one.  It's one of the few shoulder holsters I don't hate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You've never used one of these have you?
View Quote
Yes, I have. Concealment helps with retention, I just prefer other styles of holster that make weapon retention a little easier.  But, no style of holster is perfect.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I would love that holster, would love to find one for me
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]
That is how we carried our off duty guns in the winter in the '80s.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I carried my Charter Bulldog in a similar rig in the late 70's.

I'd like to have a Colt-marked one like that for my 70's vintage Agent.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
So Retro, it's absolutely hot ...  

Definitely THE holster of choice for a secret agent man  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaR3WO71j4
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would love that holster, would love to find one for me
View Quote
Just about every holster maker in the country had their own version of that style shoulder holster back in the day. I have a Bucheimer Clark Model 188-52 LH for a S&W Model 19 snub in my collection. They show up on ebay and Gunbroker  periodically.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep nice holsters have had one from 80's for S&W.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I had one of those for off duty carry back in the late 80’s.  The only handgun I owned as a young, poor,rookie officer was my duty carry 686 with a 4” barrel.  That holster was the only comfortable way to carry.  IWB during the summer sucked until I saved up enough to buy a Chief’s Special.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top