Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 4:11:52 PM EDT
I've switched carry rounds, moving away from 124 +P Gold Dot over to 124 HST.

One thing I noticed, particularly out of my Sig 365 XL, the GD seemed to leave either filler or unburned powder in the slide while the HST does not.

It's no great issue since I've swapped carry rounds but I'm just curious.

And...naturally...I don't have any pictures...but I'm talking about little yellowish flakes/specks. Not brass (GD uses nickel cases) or copper.

Whatcha think?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's unburned powder. The longer the barrel the less you'll see of it. I get it in my M&P9 2.0. Not so much in my 8 inch 9mm AR pistol but there is some.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's unburned powder. The longer the barrel the less you'll see of it. I get it in my M&P9 2.0. Not so much in my 8 inch 9mm AR pistol but there is some.
View Quote

Thought so but wanted to see if anyone knew differently
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I get the same yellowish "sand" in my 16" PCC. Not sure which load is responsible since I shot Speer Gold Dot (115gr) along with numerous other ammo types (Win, Fed, and IMI).

So it's not just from shorter barrels, unless being blow-back contributes to it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought that was filler.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I get the same yellowish "sand" in my 16" PCC. Not sure which load is responsible since I shot Speer Gold Dot (115gr) along with numerous other ammo types (Win, Fed, and IMI).

So it's not just from shorter barrels, unless being blow-back contributes to it.
View Quote

Quoted:
I've always thought that was filler.
View Quote

I've only noticed it with Gold Dot. When I get a newer pistol I'm going to carry, I run drills at the range with Lawman, clean it at the range, and then run a couple magazines of Gold Dot through the clean gun to ensure function before carrying it until the next range trip.

So, filler or unburned powder, it seems to be coming from the GD and, I would think, it would contribute to malfunctions (potentially) sooner than a load that didn't have/do that.

The HST I tested recently, doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed it with other ammo over the years, but can't remember which off the top of my head.  I bought a used Swiss polizei P228 once and the inside was plastered in that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
It's probably just they powder they use. Handloaders, like me, see it with certain powders like Ramshot Silhouette. The little yellow 'sand' residue is normal with that powder.

There's no need for 'filler' in any typical handgun gunpowder that's i'm aware of. Especially in the 9mm which has a very small case capacity.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's probably just they powder they use. Handloaders, like me, see it with certain powders like Ramshot Silhouette. The little yellow 'sand' residue is normal with that powder.

There's no need for 'filler' in any typical handgun gunpowder that's i'm aware of. Especially in the 9mm which has a very small case capacity.
View Quote

This.

As seemingly impossible as it is, un-burned gunpowder is a thing.

I'm not aware of any factory loaded ammunition of any caliber or type that uses "filler" over the charge of gunpowder...
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not simply unburned powder. Ramshot Silhouette is a dark gray / black powder, and the little bits of residue after shooting are yellow. I think it has burned, but not all of the granules are completely consumed in the process.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Smokeless powder (aka nitrocellulose) is that yellow to yellow-green color. We are used to it being gray to black because it's coated with graphite during the manufacturing process to allow easier metering. What you're seeing is the powder with the graphite coating burned off.
Google pix of cordite. It was an early form of smokeless that was uncoated. It is found in sticks that look very much like thin spaghetti.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Smokeless powder (aka nitrocellulose) is that yellow to yellow-green color. We are used to it being gray to black because it's coated with graphite during the manufacturing process to allow easier metering. What you're seeing is the powder with the graphite coating burned off.
Google pix of cordite. It was an early form of smokeless that was uncoated. It is found in sticks that look very much like thin spaghetti.
View Quote

That makes some sense!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top