Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2022 12:52:17 PM EDT
I am considering getting a small revolver.

I like how the Three inch barrels look better to me than the stubby Two inch barrel.

Does going to a Three inch barrel improve the ballistic or help tame the recoil.

Say something like a SP101.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, any extra barrel length with all other variables the same will increase your MV, reduce muzzle blast (a bit) with the magnums, and reduce some recoil due to added weight.

You also may find that the 3" barrelled revolvers have more traditional sights vs the 2" with a simple channel milled out of the top as the rear sight.

An SP101 is about as tanky as you get for a J Frame revolver, so if you're interested in shooting a lot of magnums it's a good choice
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mass tames recoil, poorly but it does. Barrel length in pistols helps velocity and the 2-3 inches of barrel length window is usually a pretty good place to gain it. Sight radius increases in tiny handguns will directly translate to aiming precision if you're using the sights at all. The practical difference from concealment or presentation point of view is essentially nothing so 3 is going to be better than 2 in enough respects without getting to a full 4" to be worth it. I don't particularly like barrels under 3 inches since they pretty much turn a revolver into a flash bang dispenser while ruining velocity production. I'm not a real fan of >4 inches in a CCW revolver because it slows the presentation down and makes them harder to conceal especially in something like a sport coat. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Biggest advantage of a 3 inch barrel is now the extractor rod is long enough to force the fired cases free of the cylinder. With a 2 inch barrel you can get the cases started out of the cylinder but they aren't forced clear, you have to have that barrel pointed up for the cases to fall free of the cylinder and if any stick then you need to grab them and pull them out individually.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biggest advantage of a 3 inch barrel is now the extractor rod is long enough to force the fired cases free of the cylinder. With a 2 inch barrel you can get the cases started out of the cylinder but they aren't forced clear, you have to have that barrel pointed up for the cases to fall free of the cylinder and if any stick then you need to grab them and pull them out individually.
View Quote

THIS.  That issue is big.

And a three inch does 'point' noticeably better than a 2 or 2.5.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
3” everyday, I have no use for a 2” revolver. As mentioned, the extraction issue is the biggest concern, sight radius is much better also.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Back when Mrs. CNE carried, I got her a 3" J frame. Was very pleasant to shoot, more so than my 2" J frames.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
That 1" of barrel makes a hell of a difference. Balance, sight radius, ejection, velocity, recoil,  it's all improved.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Three inch is the perfect revolver barrel length.   I have twelve and only two 2 inch guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a S&W 638 airweight 2", as every red blooded American ought.

That being said, I much prefer my K6S 3" for CCW, as it's more comfy, easily shot, better sights, packs 6 rounds of .357 magnum, and is the lightest metal revolver to do so.

3" revolvers hit a certain sweet spot for .357 or .38, IMO.  Anything shorter you lose sights/radius/velocity/balance, and any longer is too large to comfortably CCW IWB.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The way I see it, from a practical standpoint, the 3" has all the advantages with the exception of length.  That exception doesn't really matter because most anywhere you can hide a 2" gun, you can hide a 3" gun.

So unless you're just set a 2" revolver for the aesthetics, the 3" is the clear winner. Personally, I think the 3" looks better too.

Terrible pic, was for insurance purposes but I love this gun.  Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a S&W 638 airweight 2", as every red blooded American ought.

That being said, I much prefer my K6S 3" for CCW, as it's more comfy, easily shot, better sights, packs 6 rounds of .357 magnum, and is the lightest metal revolver to do so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/5ABA24AC-B7A3-4453-B867-05F093D27930-1523551.jpg

3" revolvers hit a certain sweet spot for .357 or .38, IMO.  Anything shorter you lose sights/radius/velocity/balance, and any longer is too large to comfortably CCW IWB.
View Quote

That Kimber is a nice wheelie.  I got to handle one but the store had a "no trigger pull" policy so I didn't get to dry fire it ??
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer a 3” as they tend to balance better in my experience. You could get a bit more velocity but I’ve seen shorter barrels chrono faster then longer barrels in some instances so don’t bet on it as a guarantee. One added benefit is in some models you will get a full length ejector which is a benefit imo. This isn’t always the case however so you’ll have to check the specific model your looking at.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the reply's, it good to see people agree with my thoughts.

It eases the feelings that I just justifying my wants rather than using a good judgement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a S&W Model 60, this one, and really like it:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-60-0

It's much easier to shoot than my 640, while only a little bit bigger.  It's much smaller than the Ruger series as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Been following this thread with interest.  I have a 4" Highway Patrolman (28-2) that I really like, but being an N frame, it is a bit of a battleship to carry around.  So I've been looking for a smaller frame .357 with a 3" barrel, and sadly, it's a wasteland out there.

Never see new or used in my area.  I would prefer a S&W as that is what I have owned forever, but I'm wondering if I would be happy with a Ruger?  They just seem so overly bulky, which is what I am trying to get away from.  However I'm guessing a Ruger would be easier to find.

Is my S&W snobbery keeping me from getting a good revolver?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been following this thread with interest.  I have a 4" Highway Patrolman (28-2) that I really like, but being an N frame, it is a bit of a battleship to carry around.  So I've been looking for a smaller frame .357 with a 3" barrel, and sadly, it's a wasteland out there.

Never see new or used in my area.  I would prefer a S&W as that is what I have owned forever, but I'm wondering if I would be happy with a Ruger?  They just seem so overly bulky, which is what I am trying to get away from.  However I'm guessing a Ruger would be easier to find.

View Quote

How about one of the new Colt King Cobras?  Or a Kimber K6S 3"?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

M66-8
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
The 66-8 is the one.

Pity they are unobtainium currently.  I'll keep looking.

Nice shooting sir.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The SP101 will fall nicely between a J&K frame imo. It however is five shot. If I were in the market for a smaller framed 3” I’d look very hard at a king cobra. 6 shot 357 easily replaceable already easy to see sights. Nice trigger good grips. And still falls nicely size wise between K&J frames and will be about 20oz less weight then your 28.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This along with a little more muzzle velocity and a little longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Biggest advantage of a 3 inch barrel is now the extractor rod is long enough to force the fired cases free of the cylinder. With a 2 inch barrel you can get the cases started out of the cylinder but they aren't forced clear, you have to have that barrel pointed up for the cases to fall free of the cylinder and if any stick then you need to grab them and pull them out individually.

Not an issue w/ a 9x19mm revolver.  But I wish I had a 3" on my 9mm SP 101 coat pocket gun anyway, for the weight.  OP, if you do go 101, get you some Hogues, the factory grips suck for 9mm & up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#25]
It is looking like to get what I want I need to get a SP101 in 357 mag and have it converted to accept 9mm.

I just don't want to have to carry another caliber but no one makes a 9mm revolver with a three inch barrel in a J frame size revolver.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is looking like to get what I want I need to get a SP101 in 357 mag and have it converted to accept 9mm.

I just don't want to have to carry another caliber but no one makes a 9mm revolver with a three inch barrel in a J frame size revolver.
View Quote

Easy enough to convert - you just need a 9x19mm Ruger factory cylinder timed.  I'd like a 3" bbl fitted to a S&W 940.  I know they already exist, but likely far cheaper to convert than find a unicorn.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree with all the above! Love my 1 7/8th" Smith J framed .38Specials... With defensive ammo that use a mixture of flash retardants the J's don't flash unless in near total darkness. Also, nickel coated brass and/or brass cases I've never had any sticky ejection's... Only when I've shot crappy steel cased ammo due to shortages for target/trigger time but all ejected with a simply and quick palming slap to the ejector-rod just fine.

3" barreled snubs will always point better and are almost just as quick on target as a 2" barreled version. You gain between 30-40fps per inch of barrel increase velocity wise when chamber/cylinder throats, cylinder gap to forcing cone, ammo consistency, etc are all similarly spec'd considering...

I love both my 1 7/8th" J frames and 3" barreled N frames as each has their place and role in the carry rotation. OP, you'll likely be very happy with either 2" or 3" snub Revolvers... but 3" barreled carry rigs really make for the best of both worlds all things considered in my experience while adding virtually zero detriments to concealed carry...

3" Barreled N-frames in .44Caliber along with a 6" version in the middle...

Our Beloved 1 7/8" Barreled J's along with a 2" barreled "D" framed Colt...

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Love my 3" Model 65.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 2" inch 60 and a 3" 36.  The 36 feels more like a "full size" gun when you're shooting than the 60.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  bump, I 'm watching a 3" M65 on gunbroker right now.  It's at $550
View Quote

How many revolvers have you bought since you started your .380 vs .38 thread?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
bump, I 'm watching a 3" M65 on gunbroker right now.  It's at $550
View Quote

If it goes for less than a grand I'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm upset about this one.  I got distracted and it ended.  Explain this to me. is it the Hillary Hole?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933831085
View Quote

Wow, that did go cheap.  Maybe because its 38 Special, maybe because its the late model with the Hilary Hole and all that.  Still I would have expected it to go higher, much higher.  Definitely needed a good cleaning.  Several bidders.  Odd, very odd.  Sometimes GB can be weird.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I much prefer shooting my S&W Chief Special 3" over my little S&W 642. They are pretty close in size, but that little extra weight and extra inch of barrel really makes a big difference. I hate shooting my 642, but love the Chief Special. Of course for a pocket gun the 642 is king. The Chief Special is a belt holster gun. My girlfriend prefers a S&W Model 10 K-frame 6 shot 3" barrel 38 Special. Says the trigger is easier to pull.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Having that extra inch does help with sight radius for sure. I can't say how much it helps with recoil with the examples I own. I have a Taurus M856 with 2" barrel and a Taurus 85 with 3" barrel. The reason I can't make a good comparison on recoil is that the 3" barrel is factory ported.

I do prefer the 2" when it comes to conceal carry with a IWB holster. The reason is that most holsters are made for 2" barrels so that the 3" barrel actually sticks out past the bottom of the holster and digs into my leg/hip. Plus there is no leather/kydex to keep the end from coming into contact with sweaty skin or underwear.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  I much prefer shooting my S&W Chief Special 3" over my little S&W 642. They are pretty close in size, but that little extra weight and extra inch of barrel really makes a big difference. I hate shooting my 642, but love the Chief Special. Of course for a pocket gun the 642 is king. The Chief Special is a belt holster gun. My girlfriend prefers a S&W Model 10 K-frame 6 shot 3" barrel 38 Special. Says the trigger is easier to pull.
View Quote

I've heard the K frame triggers tune more nicely than the J frame ones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've heard the K frame triggers tune more nicely than the J frame ones.
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#42]
My Model 65 with a relatively rare Model 632, both 3"ers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@Strela

nice, where did you get the grip adapters?  I just bought some off GB for a square butt M64, but they don't fit as good as yours. big gap on the side.  I can see daylight from one side to the other

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/dlhr7jbn-2413999.jpg
View Quote

Bought both at gun shows, not at the same time and many years ago. I like them, so I'd buy them when I found them.

@MRW
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Strela

nice, where did you get the grip adapters?  I just bought some off GB for a square butt M64, but they don't fit as good as yours. big gap on the side.  I can see daylight from one side to the other

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/dlhr7jbn-2413999.jpg
View Quote
BK grips might do what you need, but they're polymer and don't come in as wide a variety of materials.  I have had several, and am thinking of ordering another.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#47]
I...see...that...Taurus...if...coming...out...with...a...3"...version...of...their...9...mm...revolver....

Where...is...the...best...place...to...try...and...pick...up...one...of...these...from?

What...is...up...with...the...forum,...why...is...it...adding...these...dots...between...the...words?...

I...can't...even...link...to...photo...either?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#48]
It seems to be working correctly now.

Here is the picture.

I would get some after market grips for this, those little grips look like they would hurt.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  It seems to be working correctly now.

Here is the picture.

I would get some after market grips for this, those little grips look like they would hurt.

https://i.imgur.com/F86DOjUm.jpg
View Quote

In 9x19mm?  Yes, they would.  I run Hogues on my SP 101.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top