Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2022 7:27:03 PM EDT
Help me decide between these two performance center guns!

19 carry comp 2.5” performance center

686 2.5” performance center
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, it comes down to how much you want to carry/conceal it.

The 19 is better for that, but for pure shooting the 686 platform handles the round(s) better.  I'm a fan of both K and L frame but for open carry or range fun I prefer the L every time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
For shooting hot 357 I would take the 686. Plus do you get 7 with the 686?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Neither you want the 3 in version with the full-length extractor rod.  It's well worth the extra half inch to get the full-length extractor. A lot depends on your comfort level with recoil but the J frame scandium. titanium 5 shot .357 is carry a lot shoot a little; wonderful choice that one will use often as the others are much larger heavier than comparable size semi autos by a lot, the downside is the recoil is not for pansies.
The K frame 6 shot .357mag guns were not produced for a while because hot loads blow out the thin metal between the cylinder stop cut and the chamber.  5 and 7 shot guns the cut is not over the chamber.  So of all the revolvers the L frame +  7 shot guns are the strongest and they weight more and once you are there weight wise it almost makes sense to go 4 inch or longer so you can hunt with it.  Then there is the 5 shot L frame 44 mag model 69  3 in (want)

Stainless for a carry gun is far more forgiving than blue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither you want the 3 in version with the full-length extractor rod.  It's well worth the extra half inch to get the full-length extractor. ....
View Quote

So you have actually personally had extraction problems with a 2.5" S&W?  Curious because in 30 years, I have not.  Everything from my target handloads in a K frame to Buffalo Bore in a 3.5" 27, never an issue.  Nor really heard it from anyone else.  This happened to you?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m leaning towards the 686, and yes it holds 7 rounds. The 19 just looks cool!
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What I went with.

Attachment Attached File

You won’t be disappointed
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m leaning towards the 686, and yes it holds 7 rounds. The 19 just looks cool!
View Quote

The 19 carry comp does look cool. I didn't choose mine instead of the 3" 686+ deluxe, I just chose to get the 19 first.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I have a thing for the 19 Carry Comp, it’s on my list of revolvers to get
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]

What grips are those? That is a great looking combo!
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What grips are those? That is a great looking combo!
View Quote

VZ Tactical Diamond Black Grey
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
As noted above a 3” barrel would have been a better choice.

I’ve carried and shot a variety of 2.5” and 3” S&Ws  in L, K and J magnum frame sizes.  The sweet spot in my experience is a 3” Model 66 or for an just a couple more ounces in weight a 3” 686+.

The full length ejector rod helps when ejecting sticky cases - and yes, I have had had issues with sticky cases when using full power .357 Magnum loads.  Is a full length ejector rod important?  It depends.  If you are are shooting full power .357 Mag loads in a J magnum revolver, where sticky cases is more common, you need all the help you can get. In an L frame, it’s less of an issue.

More importantly, a 3” barrel really helps the .357 Magnum efficiency.  Otherwise in a 2.5” Barrel it’s only going to be about 125 fps faster than a .38 +P.

Also it’s absolutely no harder to conceal or carry a 3” revolver than it is a 2.5” revolver, so why not take advantage of the longer barrel.

The J magnum revolvers are nice to carry but are not fun to shoot in a full power  .357 Mag load.  Consequently most people who carry them don’t shoot them well because they don’t shoot them much, and/or they practice with .38 Special and rarely shoot .357 Magnum.   In my experience a K frame like the Model 66 is a better choice.  The concealability and comfort differences are minimal compared to a J frame, but they are far more comfortable to shoot with full power .357 magnum ammo with the result that people shoot them more and become much more proficient with them.

Finally, I’m not a big fan of S&Ws performance center handguns.  The look doesn’t appeal to me and it’s over priced for what it is.   As for the Model 19, sure it’s a nice looking gun and I have a couple older ones in 4” and 6” lengths.   However for daily carry stainless steel is the way to go.  I used to carry a 3” Model 13 and it was (and continues to be) a great revolvers.  But when I carried it daily, I had to wipe it down with oil daily to keep it from rusting, especially living and working in the south.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Neither you want the 3 in version with the full-length extractor rod.  It's well worth the extra half inch to get the full-length extractor. A lot depends on your comfort level with recoil but the J frame scandium. titanium 5 shot .357 is carry a lot shoot a little; wonderful choice that one will use often as the others are much larger heavier than comparable size semi autos by a lot, the downside is the recoil is not for pansies.
The K frame 6 shot .357mag guns were not produced for a while because hot loads blow out the thin metal between the cylinder stop cut and the chamber.  5 and 7 shot guns the cut is not over the chamber.  So of all the revolvers the L frame +  7 shot guns are the strongest and they weight more and once you are there weight wise it almost makes sense to go 4 inch or longer so you can hunt with it.  Then there is the 5 shot L frame 44 mag model 69  3 in (want)

Stainless for a carry gun is far more forgiving than blue.
View Quote

2 questions,

I would love to see cites of K frame 357 cylinders letting go under top end loads. Lot's of revolver cylinders have cratered with accidental double charges type rounds. I've never seen or heard of a K frame cyl. blowing with any normal hi end loads. Could you post where we can see evidence of that?

What is your definition of a "full length ejector rod"? This topic caught my attention and since then I've measured the ejector stroke on quite a few DA revolvers for my own curiosity. It's been interesting. Please define.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I would suggest taking a good look at the Kimber K6 line of revolvers.  They are making really nice wheel guns.  They even recess the cylinders like the old S&W's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What is your definition of a "full length ejector rod"? This topic caught my attention and since then I've measured the ejector stroke on quite a few DA revolvers for my own curiosity. It's been interesting. Please define.
View Quote

An FL ejector rod will get the spent case fully past the face of the cylinder when fully depressed.  On most S&W 2.5” models, they don’t quite do that and *theoretically* you can get a case that could hang on it’s mouth if it has expanded forcefully.  I have never in practice seen it happen.  The 2.5” rule is pretty standard whether you are talking K, L, or N frame.  3” guns generally have enough under-barrel room to use a standard full-length ejector rod and still have room for the locking lug.

I have 3x K frame 2.5” and 1 x 685 2.5” and shot a moderate amount of .357 in each - factory as well as hand loads and never had a problem.  Not a huge sample size, of course.  If you had a cylinder that was under-bored (I have heard it happens - not seen it personally) it would be a bonus.

DakotaFAL has had more short barreled guns than me and presumably shot them more, so as you can see it’s something that does happen.  If it is happenign regularly it’s worth checking the cylinder bores and possibly getting them fixed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Go 9x19mm, OP.  3" bbl is still the way to go, but short extractors don't matter nearly so much w/ moon clips.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Honestly if you are considering the 686, might as well look at the 3 inch Python.  Python action right out of the box is superior
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Honestly if you are considering the 686, might as well look at the 3 inch Python.  Python action right out of the box is superior
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

An FL ejector rod will get the spent case fully past the face of the cylinder when fully depressed.  On most S&W 2.5” models, they don’t quite do that and *theoretically* you can get a case that could hang on it’s mouth if it has expanded forcefully.  I have never in practice seen it happen.  The 2.5” rule is pretty standard whether you are talking K, L, or N frame.  3” guns generally have enough under-barrel room to use a standard full-length ejector rod and still have room for the locking lug.

I have 3x K frame 2.5” and 1 x 685 2.5” and shot a moderate amount of .357 in each - factory as well as hand loads and never had a problem.  Not a huge sample size, of course.  If you had a cylinder that was under-bored (I have heard it happens - not seen it personally) it would be a bonus.

DakotaFAL has had more short barreled guns than me and presumably shot them more, so as you can see it’s something that does happen.  If it is happenign regularly it’s worth checking the cylinder bores and possibly getting them fixed.
View Quote

What revolvers do you have that will do that?

My 4" N frames & L frames wont, my Python won't, the various Charter Arms and even one Taurus won't.
I've measured mine and several that belong to other people and the only revolver I've seen that will clear a spent case is my 1950's K frame K-22 (.22LR).
That revolver is the easiest thing I've ever used to trap all 6 cases under the star.

I started measuring ejector stroke after seeing this article, it's interesting to me, S&W's can be all over the place but I have yet to see but that one .22 that ejected a fired case clear of the cylinder:

https://revolverguy.com/ejector-rod-length/

It's semi wothless information but I find it entertaining so if you could post a list of your revolvers that do that I would add them to my list

on edit:  anyone else that has a DA revolver that ejects a spent case clear of the cylinder can feel free to post up that model # and barrel length if they want to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  What revolvers do you have that will do that?

My 4" N frames & L frames wont, my Python won't, the various Charter Arms and even one Taurus won't.
I've measured mine and several that belong to other people and the only revolver I've seen that will clear a spent case is my 1950's K frame K-22 (.22LR).
That revolver is the easiest thing I've ever used to trap all 6 cases under the star.

I started measuring ejector stroke after seeing this article, it's interesting to me, S&W's can be all over the place but I have yet to see but that one .22 that ejected a fired case clear of the cylinder:

https://revolverguy.com/ejector-rod-length/

It's semi wothless information but I find it entertaining so if you could post a list of your revolvers that do that I would add them to my list

on edit:  anyone else that has a DA revolver that ejects a spent case clear of the cylinder can feel free to post up that model # and barrel length if they want to.
View Quote

Will have to check my SP 101 in 9x19mm, maybe the .22 LR Arminius, and I think certainly the .22 LR FIE/Heritage.  Maybe the little Taurus .380 ACP?  The Arminius and the the FIE/Heritage SA won't w/ the .22 WMR cylinders installed.  I would think most 4"+ bbl 9x19mm revolvers would, maybe even some .45 ACP guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Will have to check my SP 101 in 9x19mm, maybe the .22 LR Arminius, and I think certainly the .22 LR FIE/Heritage.  Maybe the little Taurus .380 ACP?  The Arminius and the the FIE/Heritage SA won't w/ the .22 WMR cylinders installed.  I would think most 4"+ bbl 9x19mm revolvers would, maybe even some .45 ACP guns.
View Quote

"maybe" and "think", won't make my database.

This is legit science bro

The link I shared posts ejector travel on a number of revolvers.
And it says that 45acp's in moons will clear.

I've yet to find a centerfire traditional revolver cartridge that would, but I'm sure willing to learn about some.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've yet to find a centerfire traditional revolver cartridge that would, but I'm sure willing to learn about some.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Will have to check my SP 101 in 9x19mm, maybe the .22 LR Arminius, and I think certainly the .22 LR FIE/Heritage.  Maybe the little Taurus .380 ACP?  The Arminius and the the FIE/Heritage SA won't w/ the .22 WMR cylinders installed.  I would think most 4"+ bbl 9x19mm revolvers would, maybe even some .45 ACP guns.

I'm not trying to make your database, "bro".  I gave suggestions you can research - or not.

I would expect the original black powder shorts would clear the modern magnum chambers - .38 Short Colt from a .357 Maximum, .44 Russian from a .445 SuperMag, .45 Schofield from a .460 S&W, .32 Short from a .327 Federal.

I recently had a related question:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2569464_Other-than-the-41-Magnum-which-revolver-cartridges-don-t-have-black-powder-origins-.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to make your database, "bro".  I gave suggestions you can research - or not.

I would expect the original black powder shorts would clear the modern magnum chambers - .38 Short Colt from a .357 Maximum, .44 Russian from a .445 SuperMag, .45 Scofield from a .460 S&W, .32 Short from a .327 Federal.

I recently had a related question:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2569464_Other-than-the-41-Magnum-which-revolver-cartridges-don-t-have-black-powder-origins-.html
View Quote

No offense intended "bro" hence the smiley.... allow a little stupid humor in you day.
Not interested enough in science to go locate obscure revolvers and check, anybody that wants to put in info from their guns is again, welcome to.

I AM slightly  interested in any revolver that fully removes a normal revolver cartridge, everbody has to have a hobby, note additional smiley

ETA, OP I'd go with the 686 but I'm partial to L frames.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No offense intended "bro" hence the smiley.... allow a little stupid humor in you day.
Not interested enough in science to go locate obscure revolvers and check, anybody that wants to put in info from their guns is again, welcome to.

I AM slightly  interested in any revolver that fully removes a normal revolver cartridge, everbody has to have a hobby, note additional smiley

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm not trying to make your database, "bro".  I gave suggestions you can research - or not.

I would expect the original black powder shorts would clear the modern magnum chambers - .38 Short Colt from a .357 Maximum, .44 Russian from a .445 SuperMag, .45 Scofield from a .460 S&W, .32 Short from a .327 Federal.

I'll try to remember to check the Ruger when I get home & dig out the Arminius.  Not much humor @ the moment, waiting in the hospital w/ my MIL after her kidney stone got zapped, while my FIL is at another hospital getting a brain scan for a stroke.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m going 686 this time and will add a new model 66 to the list of future purchases for sure. Thanks for everyone’s insight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'll try to remember to check the Ruger when I get home & dig out the Arminius.  Not much humor @ the moment, waiting in the hospital w/ my MIL after her kidney stone got zapped, while my FIL is at another hospital getting a brain scan for a stroke.  
View Quote

AAAaargh, I hope that all turns out good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m going 686 this time and will add a new model 66 to the list of future purchases for sure. Thanks for everyone’s insight.
View Quote

That's a fine plan right there!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted a 19 Carry Comp, but wanted the 3" version...Could only find the 2.5...With the comp, I wanted a bit more length and I prefer the full-length ejector rod... Ended up going 586 L Comp, 3 inch barrel, full length ejector rod AND 7 shots.

Might be worth a look...

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like FIL did NOT have a stroke, I think he's just out of his mind on the drugs they're giving him.  MIL resting comfortably, should go home tomorrow.

Arminius fails even w/ .22 LR - however, the stop for the ejector rod is easily shortened.  .38 SPL in the Dan Wesson fails as well.

The SP 101 wins:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#30]

I want that in .30 Super Carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top