Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2017 6:26:58 PM EDT
Cleaned up posts to keep it to a single model topic.

Interested in an in-expensive but dependable new toy just for fun, I interneted, read magazine articles, read this entire sub-forum, and found on line articles.

Each was generally glowing about the newer PT-111 G2 compact semi-autos.  Especially having nice adjustable, E&W, sights.  It seemed an interesting size with interesting features and no frequent negatives.

I wandered off to a LGS to look at them, $ in hand.

The PT-111 G2 seemed a perfect size, shape and feel wise.  Half way between a Shield and a Glock 19.  More comfortable than either of them.  Under the slide, the red nylon striker liner looked good and it had a striker block I could identify.  The frame and slide milling lined up nicely and the magazines seems of adequate (only) quality.  As I looked at it more carefully, I saw that the front plastic sight was not fully inserted into the slide top, would not go down, and was cocked off on an angle.  Bad counter specimen.  Looking further, I realized the rear sight was a very fragile plastic creation.  Neither would survive the glove box, tackle box, trunk, or being bumped around.  Every thin little piece of plastic on a gun ends up dented or broken this frail looking.  (I am not talking Glock dovetail protectors which are actually fairly sturdy.)  The PT-111 G2 rear sight is a micro plastic creation in a strange dovetail.  Unmentioned in anything I read or looked at including the factory site.

Frustrated, I quit looking.

Is there any aftermarket sight support for the PT-111 G2?  It is not something I would buy unless I could switch the sights out.

I know the devil is in the details, but the cost savings on these items also cost sales.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you liked the PT92 and want a frame mounted safety and no de-cocker look for a mid 80's model 92 or 99. The 99 has adjustable sights. Taurus mags are plentiful for the 92 at good prices. My PT111G2 has been GTG so far.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, thank you.

https://lakelinellc.com/product-category/taurus-pistol-parts-and-accessories/taurus-sights/

'Bout right these days.  $179-199-209 gun and $30-40 + shipping for sights.  $29+ three dot.  $39+ fiber optic.  Night sights too.

Dam. Gotta crack the other change piggy bank.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe axx backwards, but in looking at the sight web site, I ordered a set of their fiber optic front and rear sights.

Adventure awaits.

On the assumption I get a PT-111 G2, I'll give it a go and a fair report of gun and sights.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Progress.  Got Pt-111 at Cabelas.  Contributing to the economy, I guess.

Photo:  Black slide Pt-111.  Initial trigger pull #8 1/4.  After cleaning off the black stuff and lubing normal type places, trigger pull became #6.5-7.0 area.  Reasonable pull.

The Glock type trigger bar tripping an actual full cock sear to release the fully spring loaded striker is interesting.  If the striker is down, the trigger bar itself retracts and releases the striker without using the sear.  Easier looked at than explained in words.

NOTEWORTHY:  the trigger face safety is in a wide trigger.  You have to be careful to depress the safety lever into the trigger face OR it stops tthe trigger half way back. Or even a little nearer the let off point grating.  Then you go WTH?  A Glock trigger releases the safety with most any sloppy pull.  The Taurus needs the finger flat on the trigger the whole way or the trigger safety rubs here and there.

I had no idea the problems the trigger face safety would cause when shooting.

The sights on this PT-111 were properly installed and undamaged.  They are still the same plastic.

Photo:  Rear and front PT-111 sights.  The front sight is not damaged ahead of the visual rear surface.  The top side edge corners are thinned slightly to keep the rear face square.

As a practical matter, they are probably OK for limited use that doesn't whack them around.  Noted above, I did order a set of the fiber optic sights.  Some assembly required.  (Spurg:  thank you for the sight info.)

Noteworthy FYI:  To get 12 rounds into the magazines, you need a loader.  Glock and Beretta plastic ones do not work.

Generic unlabeled Beretta metal ones do.  So does the ProMag double stack 9mm loader.  Amazon.  Walmart website even cheaper.

https://promagindustries.com/magazine-loaders/388-pistol-magazine-loader-9mm-40sw.html
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting results.

FUBAR result.

Cleaned, lubed, and hand cycled a couple hundred times.

Fired 150 rounds without malfunction. FMJ and HP, 115 grain standard WW and Hornady ammo.
1) First fifty rest bench wandered all over as parts settled in.
2) Next 100 made groups with uncalled fliers, right left and up.

Started to analyze why I suddenly could not shoot worth two cents.

Realized I had finally found a gun totally unshootable bench rested or freehand.  Why?
3) trigger safety hangs and interferes with pull.  No amount of effort could keep the trigger safety fully depressed at every point in the trigger pull.
4) three separate hitches/grinds/grates in SA trigger pull just before firing.
5) the fire control moving parts are rough looking and not smooth after a few pulls when the lube moves away.  Looks like Parkerizing, not a smooth finish.
6) the DA system pull is smooth all the way.  If it were simply a DA system, the pull is nice.  BUT, the normal SA pull is horrid. It stabilized at about 8# with three grinding grating stops in the pull after all slack taken up.  
7) taught me to flinch again.  The better the trigger press/pull, the worse it felt.
8) fires with trigger nearly touching frame.  Which means your finger hits the frame before it goes off finaly.  Strong hand and strong fingers.
9) no amount of effort or slowness made it shootable.  A quick pull made better groups than deliberate effort.  Trigger safety messed up quick shots on reset.

Having read the Taurus warranty/repair stuff, I am guessing I am just screwed.  
10) The gun feeds and fires without malfunction.
11) My problem seems to be finger thickness, finger length, interfering with the pull. None of this showed up trying samples at the LGS.  Or more accurately, the tryer didn't understand what was going on.
12) In the abstract, empty dry firing, carefully keeping the trigger safety depressed, there are no hitches except the grates/grinds at the end just before let off.  Its a crummy pull, but its a low end gun.

I don't see where a trip to the factory would make it better.  The parts do work.  Just stupidly depending on "fit.". Or not fitting to one person.  Or maybe this is actually more common?

I'm guessing I need to find some one it fits. Or don't care.

I would be more embarrased for buying it except for Taurus should be more embarrased for selling it as the solution to their prior screwups.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot three Taurus PT111 M2’s and encountered the same issue with the trigger safety on all three.  I had to be very careful or I’d encounter failure to fire plus I really disliked how far back the triggered moved  before the pistol fired.  My trigger finger would hit the rear of the frame/trigger guard once the pistol fired.   I didn’t like the trigger reset on the M2 and the pistol would shoot extremely high even after adjusting the rear sight as far as it would move.

The M2 just seemed crude and not refined but even the Kel Tec P-11 seemed to be a better cheap pistol for me.   I have smaller hands and the Taurus PT111 M2 just did not work well enough for me to ever trust it for defense.   One Friend who bought a PT111 M2 came to the same conclusion and decided to stick with his 9 MM Shield.   My Friend likes the size, weight and capacity of the M2 but he had trouble shooting the M2 reliably and accurately.

I believe a lot of purchasers who buy the M2 rarely shoot them.   Many novice users are enticed by the size, ergos and price of the pistol.   Some probably haven’t shot enough to recognize the M2 design deficiencies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have shot three Taurus PT111 M2’s and encountered the same issue with the trigger safety on all three.  I had to be very careful or I’d encounter failure to fire plus I really disliked how far back the triggered moved  before the pistol fired.  My trigger finger would hit the rear of the frame/trigger guard once the pistol fired.   I didn’t like the trigger reset on the M2 and the pistol would shoot extremely high even after adjusting the rear sight as far as it would move.

The M2 just seemed crude and not refined but even the Kel Tec P-11 seemed to be a better cheap pistol for me.   I have smaller hands and the Taurus PT111 M2 just did not work well enough for me to ever trust it for defense.   One Friend who bought a PT111 M2 came to the same conclusion and decided to stick with his 9 MM Shield.   My Friend likes the size, weight and capacity of the M2 but he had trouble shooting the M2 reliably and accurately.

I believe a lot of purchasers who buy the M2 rarely shoot them.   Many novice users are enticed by the size, ergos and price of the pistol.   Some probably haven’t shot enough to recognize the M2 design deficiencies.
View Quote
I am glad I read this thread. I thought I was doing something wrong.  I found out, like others did, that you have to press the trigger fully from the front or it will hang up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Controlling the trigger?  I cannot manage it slowly.

Fast or scared?  No hope there to do it right.

I was thinking I was the odd ball there for a while.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I own 4 (just sold my 5th to a buddy) PT 111 G2s (not sure if there is such a thing as an M2)
Trigger is not particularly good.

But the rest of the gun's features run from good to great (love that tactical and visual loaded chamber indicator!) specially when evaluated in light of the price.
One of mine has 4000 rds thru it.

In the beginning I would see an occasional hesitancy to reload the first round of a fresh mag on slide lock reload . but not anymore.
Given what a case of training ammo costs and that in a guns lifetime one will go thru many cases its basically a free gun at the 200 USD price point
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 3 PT111 G2's. The first one has about 1000 rounds through it without any real issues at all. I did replace the plastic recoil assembly with the Lakeline one, not because of any problems, I just wanted to for future reliability. I changed the front sights on the first one to a fiber optic sight I bought on Ebay. I had to sand down the sight screw to get it short enough to tighten it, and that was a huge hassle, but it worked fine. I bought the Lakeline front sights for the second one, and left the rear ones stock. At least for now. The third one is stock out of the box.

Obviously, I like these guns enough to buy 3 of them. I have no problems with the trigger at all. It is odd, but once I got used to it, it's not a big deal. I've had worse, by far. I've fired it as fast as I can and it just shoots. No problems with the little blade thing, and the reset isn't a problem. I have average sized hands. Is it a world beater? No, but it's a fun little gun and I will probably be carrying it as it's size makes it just about perfect. And since all of them were less than $200 shipped, I won't cry if I break anything.

I bought the Lakeline stainless striker channel, but I haven't installed it yet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, I finally made it back to the local gun store and this is what I found out about the Taurus PT111 G2 trigger.

I could use a pencil to push back on the trigger safety only and it would also push back the trigger without touching the trigger itself, then the safety would lock the trigger so it could not move any further.

Either the trigger safety spring is to strong or the trigger return spring is too light in the take-up. The trigger break is just fine.

I may just go ahead and buy it and fix the problem myself because I kind of like the gun other than the trigger problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have owned the G2 for several years and cannot duplicate the problem you have mention. I would try a different example of the pistol. maybe at a different place. I just tried what you described and cannot duplicate it. My suggestion would be not to buy it if the trigger is defective and try to fix it. I paid $199.99 for mine and it has functioned fine.
View Quote
Spot on advice. The PITA of fixing a gunsmith special is only matched by the potential liability of making a trigger function mistake.  Plus its gotta void a warranty.

(The sample that did not work for me was a different problem yet even from Flights.   The trigger safety was fully depressing, but still hitching. )
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My talent in life is as a mechanical engineer, been one all of my life.
I don't create things as much as I repair things that are broken or are poorly engineered.

Today I had some free time to visit local gun shops in my area and I looked at and tried several Taurus triggers, not just the PT111 G2.

Several of them showed the same problem to a grater or lesser extent. Some were hardly noticeable others were very noticeable.
I think I repeated myself there.

Anyway, I didn't take the time to try other brands so I don't know if any other brands exhibited a similar problem or not but I do think Taurus needs to be aware of the problem if they are not already. If I could take one apart I might find an easy fix for it.

As I said before, it only takes one complaint to ruin a reputation and a million ata boys to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Problem solved!

It only took five minutes to fix the problem, well ten minutes, I had to think it through first and now I have a very nice DA/SA trigger that is dependable and no disassembly required.

These are the kind of problems I like to work out.
Have a great day everyone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
What was the fix, my guess the safety blade in the trigger was possibly out of spec?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
No, that would have required disassembly.

Super glue-----------

Think about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, if it works for you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2018 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Fully depressed the trigger safety/inertial safety blade in the face of the trigger and then Super Glued it fully depressed, i.e., permanently inactivated the safety blade with glue?

Not on my watch.  

Rather pay twice the price for working designs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fully depressed the trigger safety/inertial safety blade in the face of the trigger and then Super Glued it fully depressed, i.e., permanently inactivated the safety blade with glue?

Not on my watch.  

Rather pay twice the price for working designs.
View Quote
None of my 40+ handguns have ever had a trigger safety and this one is no different.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote:Not on my watch.

Oh! do you have a say in what someone else does on there own?

Quote: Rather pay twice the price for working designs.

It's the same design as all of the rest of them, the return spring is just too stiff.

No one is forcing anyone to do this but in the arena of ideas it is something to consider and make your own choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Replace the trigger with a SA only one from keeptinkering and you are good to go.  Massively reduces takeup and 25usd does it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PT111-G2-SAO-Trigger-Slight-Curve-No-Safety/232655765187
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
How big'a boy are ya? If you're a large scale human with big hands, this might not be
the pistol for you.

I am a 3/4th scale human and this little pistol has been shittin me Tiffany cufflinks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I was gonna say, a gun with a manual safety (i.e. Ruger Security 9, LC9s, etc) has no need for the blade safety trigger.  Good job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top