Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2021 1:09:10 AM EDT
I've done a New York Reload loadout before (pocket carry plus ankle) when I worked a Stop & Rob gig but now I'm thinking about the same but as crossdraw....

Primary right side holstered (OWB), backup left side crossdraw (IWB) plus one reload.

That'd give me 15 rounds unless I can snag a sweet Colt for 6.  

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds good.  just be sure to train with it.

my old setup

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I've kinda done it before when it was cold. Normal carry in the normal spot, and then a snubnose in a coat pocket.

As long as you practice, I don't see any reason why you should carry less guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was working a stop and rob job, my primary would be a hi cap semi auto pistol OWB with 2 spare mags on my left side.  Backup would be in the jacket pocket or under the counter by the register.  Why limit yourself to a couple of 5 or 6 shot wheelguns?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've done a New York Reload loadout before (pocket carry plus ankle) when I worked a Stop & Rob gig but now I'm thinking about the same but as crossdraw....

Primary right side holstered (OWB), backup left side crossdraw (IWB) plus one reload.

What do you guys think?
View Quote

I think having one in a waistband/ belt line is enough.

An ankle or pocket carry thats accessible with your left hand would be more useful. Especially pocket.

The reason being is that allows drawing from a less obvious gunlike location; say during a holdup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a hater, just remember to have CCW insurance and some kind of explanation that can be presented on your behalf to a jury.

Cross draw holsters that can be accessed by either hand have a lot of real life (non range) advantages

Some tactical solutions are clearly superior to others, but look really bad in court...
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad idea. Crossdraw is usable by either hand, and the snubs are light enough that they're generally not too annoying even with two on the belt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I went out today carrying a S&W 442 in a Phlster City Special AIWB and a SP101 in a pocket holster on my weak side.  I would have preferred the guns the other way but the City Special isn't available for the SP101.  The City Special is so comfortable it is almost like not carrying a gun with something as small and light as a 442.  

I think there is a lot to be said for carrying two guns, especially if one is available to the weak hand.  I generally carry a larger primary gun but a pocket revolver is also a constant companion.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I think having a weapon easily accessible with the left hand is a good idea. Knife or gun

Incase a thug is trying to grab your primary and you have a hand on it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a bad idea. Crossdraw is usable by either hand, and the snubs are light enough that they're generally not too annoying even with two on the belt.
View Quote
Cross draw also makes it easy for someone you're wrestling with to grab your gun. No thanks for me.  Done enough ground work to know I don't want anything easily accessed by and assailant.

When I did carry a J frame as a backup it was in my offhand pocket. Or jacket pocket b
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Ideal demonstration of left hand pocket snubbie / right hand full size IWB:

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Badass Jesse Pinkman''s Shootout Scene (1080p)

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

An ankle or pocket carry thats accessible with your left hand would be more useful. Especially pocket.

The reason being is that allows drawing from a less obvious gunlike location; say during a holdup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys think?

I carry one M36 strong side @ 4:00 in an OWB Bianchi holster (conceals nice) and another in my left-side pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster... also conceals nice with a speed strip in the rear left pocket and another in my right front pocket. This is my standard "Running to Drug-Store for cough syrup @ 10:40pm before it closes" load-out and it works very nice. I've practiced running the primary dry and then pulling the pocket M36 and running to cylinder dump nearly every range trip. It's a highly concealable, quick and effective set-up for me.

Obligatory Pic of J's and a D frame...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Getting almost too warm to wear a jacket here, but the SP101 is pocket carry in the jacket for the moment.  No draw, shoot through the pocket.  23 primary, KelTec .32 secondary.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Getting almost too warm to wear a jacket here, but the SP101 is pocket carry in the jacket for the moment.  [color=#0000ff]No draw, shoot through the pocket.  23 primary, KelTec .32 secondary.
View Quote
[/color]

yes, I've taught the wifey to shoot strait thru the purse and into the lower bowel/crotch of a "perp/punk"... (5) times albeit... Never can be too sure... Sure fight stopper me ol grandpappy used to swear by. A cylinder dump into a perp's groin area with hard cast wads is a fight stopper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  [/b][/color]

yes, I've taught the wifey to shoot strait thru the purse and into the lower bowel/crotch of a "perp/punk"... (5) times albeit... Never can be too sure... Sure fight stopper me ol grandpappy used to swear by. A cylinder dump into a perp's groin area with hard cast wads is a fight stopper.
View Quote

If you're going to one of the aluminum frames, .38 target wadcutters is all I'd recommend unless you're impervious to handgun recoil.  The boy's M&P Bodyguard is rated for +P .38 loads - no thank you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve worked plain clothes or UC law enforcement for 20 of my 25 year career with a large agency  (jeans and sweatshirts)

I’d recommend a quality auto and spare mag or two backed by a J frame in a quality ankle rig.

Over the years I’ve gone through various setups but here’s a common one.

Glock 19 with spare 19 round mag (124+P HST is issued ammo) in a OWB rig from JM Custom Kydex

S&W 342 Ait Lite no-lock (135gr +P Gold Dot) in 5 Shot Leather ankle rig with thumb break

Ankle rig rides at top of my hiking boot and never moves... throw a speed strip in a pocket and a good knife
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That'd give me 15 rounds unless I can snag a sweet Colt for 6.   What do you guys think?
View Quote

"The fastest reload is always a second gun."

Sounds like a movie line, but it's actually true.  I carried that way for a while before retiring and moving to a more rural area.

But mine were autoloaders: primary weapon was a 10mm, carried concealed either AIWB or crossdraw; back-up was a .45acp Colt New Agent carried in a Bianchi ankle rig.

As someone mentioned above, the two-gun carry method does require practice in order to become smooth and hitch-free getting both guns drawn and into action, one after the other:

Draw primary weapon, shoot to slide-lock or, if a wheelie, til to an empty cylinder, and then ditch primary and draw 2nd gun. Continue engaging target as needed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Yikes!  May want to think about another line of employment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top