Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 11:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes]
I picked up a new G19.5 MOS with a BFG frame.  
I had no idea they finally made these and had to get one.

While setting it up to suit my preferences, I noticed that the slide was soaked with clear oil and excessive copper grease.
Because it was dripping into the striker channel, I felt compelled to open up the slide and clean it all out.  

Well, I wish I had taken more photos but I was just frustrated and wanted to fix it.

There was so much clear oil in there that you can see the rainbow in the photo.
My favorite part was that they never pressed in the channel liner but rather just placed it around the striker assembly.  

Thankfully, I have the proper tool to install it correctly.
It took some time to clean this mess up and now I’m just hoping it all runs properly.  I just need an RMR HD, proper sights and a FCD plate.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Man I need to grab one of those.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#2]
Don't they put that in there to help break it in?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the "rainbow" not just from the coating process?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Copper grease has been in every new Glock I've bought.

That channel liner though...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]
For a few years now I have seen signs of slipping QC at Glock and this does not help that growing conviction
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
This must be that perfection stuff we’ve been hearing so much about.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
On new glocks, this happens very easy. Been an issue for quite some time.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The rainbow is from the finishing process and is visible in many G5’s.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vague:
Copper grease has been in every new Glock I've bought.

That channel liner though...
View Quote

A thin layer of copper grease is expected.  
It being gooped on to the point that it is still viscous enough to get into the striker channel is not expected.  

This was also the first new Glock that had a ton of clear oil drenched on the upper.  The entire slide was soaking including the striker channel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 10-35:
The rainbow is from the finishing process and is visible in many G5’s.
View Quote

Quite possible I overreached to the rainbow in the photo.  I did not see it with my eyes while it was disassembled.  

Still doesn’t change the fact that the striker channel should not have been filled with clear oil or CLP or whatever it was.  

The entire slide needed to be dried off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Don't they put that in there to help break it in?
View Quote

My understanding is that it anti seize incase a new pistol sits at a distributor or shop for years.

Glock themselves say to clean and lubricate a new pistol.

Because they recommend cleaning, I have been of the school to remove the copper grease when new and use regular lube.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Your primary issue here is that you looked inside your Glock, you aren't supposed to do that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Cleaning a Glock after each time its fired...

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Cleaning a Glock after each time its fired...

View Quote

Yeah.  That part is shenanigans.  I’ve gone well over 1000 without even thinking about cleaning it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By naes:

Yeah.  That part is shenanigans.  I’ve gone well over 1000 without even thinking about cleaning it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#16]
Well, good news.
Everything works as expected.  
It’s got about 500 rounds through it now.

I’m still laughing at how soaking wet with CLP or clear oil this new gun was though.  

Even after I took it apart and dried it up, you can still see how much oil spilled up to the muzzle while shooting today.  I need to dry it off more.  

I also have to wonder what would have happened if I just shot it without installing the striker channel sleeve properly?

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never had a Glock come from the factory oiled up and the copper grease has been hit or miss.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a Glock come from the factory oiled up and the copper grease has been hit or miss.
View Quote

Same.  I’ve had a lot of Glocks over the years.  This was the first time I got one drenched in oil.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Same.  I've had a lot of Glocks over the years.  This was the first time I got one drenched in oil.
View Quote
And you bought it from a dealer?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
And you bought it from a dealer?
View Quote

Yes, a large local gun store.
I have bought from them several times.  

It was new and I don’t see them taking new guns apart to oil them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Yes, a large local gun store.
I have bought from them several times.  

It was new and I don't see them taking new guns apart to oil them.
View Quote
Very odd.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]
One of my new glocks had a loose channel liner, it was undersized. Replaced it with a new one, good to go.
The oil is weird as well, never seen that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I've owned 20+ Glocks and have never had any of those issues. Maybe it was a Friday gun..
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock oil is better than all other oil. It came from the factory good for 5 billion rounds without cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
Glock oil is better than all other oil. It came from the factory good for 5 billion rounds without cleaning.
View Quote

I thought that was special oil only used on the Glock 7?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked one of the 19.5 BFG MOS are they only shipping with one plate now?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
I picked one of the 19.5 BFG MOS are they only shipping with one plate now?
View Quote

They only come with one, the RMR plate.
They also only ship with two backstaps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#29]

They only come with one, the RMR plate.
They also only ship with two backstaps.
View Quote

Damn. I got the RMR plate. I’m new to red dot and MOS stuff. I was working part time at a gun store to help them catch up on NFA stuff and got it at cost. I say picked up but it’s on layaway. I logged them in lol. Will the kit from Glock work with this or is the slide cut specifically for the RMR plate now?

Also the last few I checked in before leaving for my last day last week was crazy with the copper grease. Like 4 year old sped class on paint day crazy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#30]
They are still MOS cut and the only plate provided works with RMR or Holosun C optics I believe.

Truth be told, the plate they ship it with is trash anyway.  
Get a Forward Control Design plate.
If they don’t make a plate for what you want, get a C+H plate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#31]
They are still MOS cut and the only plate provided works with RMR or Holosun C optics I believe.

View Quote

Im looking at the delta point pro or a eflx
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

This, and MOS is trash.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TommyChong:
For a few years now I have seen signs of slipping QC at Glock and this does not help that growing conviction
View Quote

Perfection?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, good news.
Everything works as expected.  
It’s got about 500 rounds through it now.

I’m still laughing at how soaking wet with CLP or clear oil this new gun was though.  

Even after I took it apart and dried it up, you can still see how much oil spilled up to the muzzle while shooting today.  I need to dry it off more.  

I also have to wonder what would have happened if I just shot it without installing the striker channel sleeve properly?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125824/IMG_2565-3157231.jpg
View Quote

Wait !  you complained about too much oil , took it apart cleaned it , shot it and complained  about too much oil still in the pistol ??  First off i never complain about a NEW firearm with too much oil its better than too little and finding rust. Besides i break down clean and inspect every new firearm i buy. And if your getting oil dripping out of firearm after shooting it means you need to reevaluate your maintenance technique.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#35]
Originally Posted By 1MRBEAN:

Wait !  you complained about too much oil , took it apart cleaned it , shot it and complained  about too much oil still in the pistol ??  First off i never complain about a NEW firearm with too much oil its better than too little and finding rust. Besides i break down clean and inspect every new firearm i buy. And if your getting oil dripping out of firearm after shooting it means you need to reevaluate your maintenance technique.
View Quote

Yup, I took it apart, dried it with a rag and shot it.  
It’s a Glock not some sensitive high tech devise.

It managed to retain enough to still slop some oil.  
It’s been dried and shot again and it’s all good.

The best part to me was the channel liner not being installed.  

Take a deep breath and chill.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Some slides have a loose firing pin channel and the channel liner won't stay in by press fit, it'll come out with the firing pin assembly nearly every time. Trying multiple new channel liners has the same result. The gun will still work fine but it's just annoying.

I've seen brand new Glocks with the extractor depressor plunger assembly installed backwards too. Many recent production 43x's and 48's have too much outward bend to the connector resulting in failure to return to battery.

From what I've heard Glock in Smyrna, GA hires through a temp agency so most of the people they get for assembly, test-firing and customer service aren't even gun enthusiasts. They require the covid vax too so a lot of people quit or got fired over that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By voyager40:
Some slides have a loose firing pin channel and the channel liner won't stay in by press fit, it'll come out with the firing pin assembly nearly every time. Trying multiple new channel liners has the same result. The gun will still work fine but it's just annoying.

I've seen brand new Glocks with the extractor depressor plunger assembly installed backwards too. Many recent production 43x's and 48's have too much outward bend to the connector resulting in failure to return to battery.

View Quote

I've been shooting Glocks since 1989 and I've never encountered any of that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By voyager40:

From what I've heard Glock in Smyrna, GA hires through a temp agency so most of the people they get for assembly, test-firing and customer service aren't even gun enthusiasts. They require the covid vax too so a lot of people quit or got fired over that.
View Quote

I always make sure mine say "Austria"
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

I always make sure mine say "Austria"
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top