Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 8:31:57 PM EDT
A long time ago Louis Awerbuck, of blessed memory, taught me that when I carry concealed, I should always have two guns on me, one on the left, and one on the right hip.

I carry concealed every day of the week. My fall/winter/spring guns are a pair of Sig P226 in SAO. Originally, my summer guns were a pair of Browning H-P. A few years ago I replaced them with a pair of Dan Wesson Guardian. I have no complaints when it comes to my Sigs, Brownings or Dan Wessons. However, I lost a lot of weight in the last two years, and I wanted something more compact for summer carry.
When I started looking, my attention was drawn to the Springfield Armory EMP 3”. I liked how it felt in my hand, and the size was just what I envisioned for summer carry. So, over the last month, I bought three Springfield Armory EMP 3” in 9mm from GrabAGun in Coppell, TX. Two to carry, and one as back up.

When I picked up the first EMP 3”, I cleaned and lubricated it (with Break Free CLP) and loaded the three factory mags with a mixture of the following ammunition:

Fiocchi 115grs. FMJ
Remington Golden Saber 124grs. Hollow Pt.
Sellier & Bellot 115grs. FMJ
Hotshot Elite 124grs. FMJ
PMC Bronze 115grs. FMJ
Blazer Brass 115grs. FMJ

I am sorry to report that at the range I had constant “light primer strike” problems with my first EMP 3”. There was no difference in malfunction when I used any of the three factory magazines or different brands of ammunition.

I called Springfield Armory, and the polite and professional customer service representative emailed me a return sticker for my first EMP 3”.

A few days later I picked up my second EMP 3”. (I will not draw my wife’s attention with one new gun but more than one at the same time will get her attention. All you guys who are married know what I am talking about…)  I cleaned and lubricated it and loaded the three factory mags with the same mixture of ammunition as my first EMP 3”.

And guess what happened at the range?

Correct, the same “light primer strikes” problems as with my first EMP 3”.

Off went my second EMP 3” to Springfield Armory.

On Friday I picked up my third EMP 3”. I cleaned and lubricated it and loaded the three factory mags with the same mixture of ammunition as my first and second EMP 3”.

At the range I had the following problem.

The gun would fire and load a new round from the magazine but not return to battery, i.e. the slide would not go all the way forward.

What is going on?

I never had these kinds of problems, let alone with three identical guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How many rounds did you shoot ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
approximately 50 each
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Knowing what you paid for those, I would prolly just send them back too.

But I would have also shot them a lot more before sending back.
Could be the firing pin channel is mucked up , or there is something binding the hammer spring.

Very unscientific test for light hits is the pencil test.   Drop one eraser end down the bbl and pull the trigger.  See how much movement you get on the pencil.

The gun not going into battery, I would shoot it more and see if it is a break in issue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Also very possible the factory installed the wrong firing pin spring, as in too strong.    Did yours come with the ILS?  Make sure it is fully unlocked, that could bind the mainspring.

And SA warranty took very good care of me with my RO compact.
My issue was point of impact was about 10” off at 10 yds, with the rear sight drifted over as far as possible.   Also asked them to look at the trigger, which had way more creep than it should.

They fixed it all, quickly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Several years ago I purchased one.
It never ran right. Choked in most HP type ammo.
Ran about 95% on FMJ's.
No bueno for a self defense weapon.
After the third trip back to Springfield I gave up and traded it away.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
@FRIZ

How long ago did you buy these EMPs?

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@FRIZ

How long ago did you buy these EMPs?
View Quote
"So, over the last month, I bought three Springfield Armory EMP 3” in 9mm from GrabAGun in Coppell, TX."
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
This may or may not help.. I had one and it absolutely did not like any 115 grain loads at all. I also noticed that if I held the gun a bit light it had an affect.. more stove pipes and Fail to load issues. Using a firmer grip did result in slightly better results but I wanted sheer reliability.
Most 124’s worked but not all. I think White Box Winchester’s worked.
Every single 147 I tried worked with no issues. I tried Silvertips, Gold dots and Winchester XPS.
So.. try 124 and 147’s and see if your reliability goes up. Mine did so a just carried 147’s. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My EMP 3" came with zero extracor tension. It wouldn't shoot 3 rounds in a row. I tweaked it myself. Now, it runs fine.

It also shot Speer 115 ball with very poor accuracy. It shoots other weights and types of ammo quite accurately, but for some reason it doesn't like that Speer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
@FRIZ

Any updates?

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
EMPs have been problematic, to put it nicely, since the very first one rolled off the line.

I was able to attend a pre-release dealer demo on those  11 years or so ago when they first came out.  The dealer samples were plagued with malfunctions.  The range got a few to use as rentals and they sent back every single one for several years and never had one that ran well for very long.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Present owner of 2 EMP’s bought in Feb and March 2017, black Armory coat. One has about 600 rds thru it, not a single issue, the other about 50. No problems there either.

When I first got the guns I broke them down and cleaned with Remoil. I’ve shot Winchester WB, Remington UMC, about 40 Federal Hydrashoks and around 50 Federal HST’s thru the first pistol, about 50 UMC’s out of the second. I’ve cleanned after every range session.

These have been the best shooting pistols for me. Sorry for the issues you’re having.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned two EMP 9s: one bought new in 2009 and the other was new, old stock from a dealer on Gunbroker.  This one I bought in 2016.

The first one ran most all factory FMJs flawlessly, though it choked on some GA Arms Canned Heat factory reloads, ( specifically any round with a Winchester case ) and it didn't much care for any JHPs.  A gun smith friend cleaned up the feed ramp/chamber then it fed and functioned with anything I put in it.  Like an idiot, I sold it in 2014 when I was hurting for money.  Letting that one go nagged at me until I finally got into a better financial state and ran across another one as new/old stock.

This EMP was identical to my first one and was only a couple thousand off in serial number.  This time, I polished the ramp and chamber, then ran a couple hundred round through it until it was running perfectly with both FMJs and JHPs.  Both pistols were carried defensively and I had total confidence in them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up one a few months ago and absolutely loved the way the gun felt in hand. I thought I had found the perfect carry gun, then I run into the not fully going into battery problem OP had on his third gun. I tried heavier bullets, I tried running the gun dripping wet, nothing worked. I dumped the gun on a trade, I really wanted the gun to work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought a 3" emp a few months ago. About 500 rounds thru gun mostly federal  115gr ball and some Winchester 115gr ball. Also put a few mags of speer gold dots.

gun has performed flawless no jams or any problems .
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Are the 4" guns having any problems or is it only the 3"?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are the 4" guns having any problems or is it only the 3"?
View Quote
I have a neighbor with a 3” EMP that I was ringing my 8” plate with consistently at 60 yards with.  Gun shot great the day he brought it over, probably put 300 rounds through it.  I really want a 4” but I’m scared to get one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a neighbor with a 3” EMP that I was ringing my 8” plate with consistently at 60 yards with.  Gun shot great the day he brought it over, probably put 300 rounds through it.  I really want a 4” but I’m scared to get one.
View Quote
I have a 4'' model with about 2200 rounds through it.  Only issue was the ejector came loose after 200rds, sent it back to SA and they pinned it.  Haven't had any issues since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top