Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 12:09:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]
My first handgun - purchased new in 1989.

In the 1990's I gave it to one of my best friends.

Friend passed away in 2012.

His wife needed money a couple of years ago so I paid her market value for it. I was more interested in making sure it would never be in the hands of her dirtbag son in law. Wish she knew where the stack of factory mags and original box ended up.

Its funny - I'm much more skilled with it now than when I first bought it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Question: Can the PT's be carried cocked and locked?

That thumb safety looks like it's positioned in a place that my short thumbs can manipulate pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It was my first handgun as well.  Held both the 92 and a Glock & a LGS while at Ft. Sill in ‘90 and the Taurus was $200 cheaper so that made my decision.   It wasn’t too bad, but I ended up selling it a decade later.  Another one I wish I never sold.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there had one done that. Taurus is just not the same quality as a ?Beretta can't be.  You can't make a gun better with your feelings. There seems to be an obsession to this?  Some were good guns but always to be second tier. My buddy had one and I had the Beretta compact.  No even close. Sorry Charlie.  Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Stainless PT-99AFS was my first handgun. I typically shoot better with it than I do with my VP9. Having to reset the decocker is my only real gripe with it. I can’t see ever parting with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a PT 92 AFS recently.. and I did it my way!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a PT 92 AFS recently.. and I did it my way!
https://i.imgur.com/Zwd2tlA.jpg
View Quote

I had to spend $1300 to get a Beretta that looks some what like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Been there had one done that. Taurus is just not the same quality as a ?Beretta can't be.  You can't make a gun better with your feelings. There seems to be an obsession to this?  Some were good guns but always to be second tier. My buddy had one and I had the Beretta compact.  No even close. Sorry Charlie.  /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/GZHd6Sp-56.gif
View Quote

Do you usually trash on people's guns, or just when they make your $1,200 purchase look bad?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
First and only time I shot one of those Taurus copies of a Beretta we'd gone to the range.  Three guys from work.  Me with my Colt Combat Commander, one buddy with a Taurus and one with a new Glock 17.

That cheap ($300 stainless steel) Taurus shot rings around the Glock.  I was impressed.  Helped me decide I'd never need a Glock.  Many years later I did buy a Glock and after 20 years they'd still not figured out how to make them shoot good groups.

Go for that Taurus.  Even Beretta's break.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I purchased a PT-92 at Wal-Mart (back when Wally World not only sold Pistol Ammo, they actually sold Pistols) for a VERY moderate price and was really amazed at what a good shooting gun it was.

My only gripe was, having been raised in the Cult of 1911, I was used to having my thumb sit atop the safety with pressure downward and could occasionally throw it down to 'decock' under the firing cycle if I rested my thumb atop with pressure.   Not a problem with the Gun - just the nut behind the butt.

I was young and with a young family money was tight and I sold it off because everyone knew a 1911 .45ACP was FAR better than ANY 9mm "Krunchenticker" (As Col. Cooper used to deem DA 9mm Wondernines) .  I used the money to buy a used HK-91 (because everyone knew a 7.62x51 Nato Battle Rifle was a "MAN's Rifle!!" and thus FAR better than ANY 5.56 'Mouse Gun" could ever be) .  

But I must say, The Brazilian Beauty ran smooth & steady with never a stumble or fumble in my recollections of range time.   But like her Beretta 92 'Step Sister', she was a Girthy Girl. (in todays talk "She be Thicccc" )   But she was always ready to go when you were and at a price that was affordable.

One gun I picked up at Wal-mart that I enjoyed (knowing your love Spanish STAR pistols) back in those days (when Wal-Mart didn't hate us), was the STAR Model 30.  a Beast of SOLID Block of Forged Blued Steel in 9mm that could either shoot or bludgeon your enemies hammerlike to mush with .  

Alas, it did not have the "Perfect" 1911 style 'down to fire" the thumb safety, but instead the "Up with People" slide mounted Walter / S&W style but the prices were Wal-Mart low Low LOW and as a poor I could afford it and figured I was only going to carry it hammer down and DA anyway so  ... ... ...

Ah, the Good Old Days  ...  

ShotGun News with Ads for Cases of Real Military Surplus ammo for $80 - $140 ...  

Wal-Mart sold Pistols,

No one would every imagine the British Royal Family could ever have sex Scandal, much less a divorcee in it.

&

Women still had a bit of 'Hair Down There'

Good Times!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad gave me a PT92 in the early '90s (maybe my 13th or 14th birthday), and it is a GREAT quality firearm.  Taurus has fallen a LOOOONG way since then, but these early guns are FANTASTIC.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#15]
My PT-92AF was my first handgun.  I paid for it and my dad bought it for me at a shop in Pleasant Hill, CA, called "Hogan's".  It was 1986 and I was only 16.  I could not afford the Browning Hi Power I wanted.  I have NEVER regretted that purchase.  It has the frame-mounted non-decocking safety.  I think the magazine release behind the trigger was "new" at that time...the manual still had pictures of the butt-lever mag release.

I have put a couple of thousand rounds through it with no issues.  It is still my bedside pistol and travels with me when I go overnight by car.  Still looks great, too.  I put Pachy wrap-around rubber grips on it maybe 30 years ago, but still have the box, wood stocks, manual and bore brush it came with.  I have the serial number memorized (L10xxx).

I have also fitted it with a Beretta threaded barrel and shoot it suppressed sometimes (because I can).  I only recently finally bought a Beretta 92...an old Italian "S" model surplus.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My only gripe was, having been raised in the Cult of 1911, I was used to having my thumb sit atop the safety with pressure downward and could occasionally throw it down to 'decock' under the firing cycle if I rested my thumb atop with pressure.  

View Quote

Honestly I have this issue with every single gun I have ever shot with a combo safety/decocker lever.  Every one.  Hate them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I still have mine, it is the pre-90's in nickel finish.  Bought it instead of Berretta because of the frame mounted safety.  Funny story - At one of the local 3-gun matches, the rear sight leaf couldn't handle the stress and flew its coop. I couldn't hit shit without the rear sight .  Taurus promptly sent me a new one within a week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The first pistol I bought was a Taurus 92AF in the satin nickel. It was actually a nice gun and shot very accurately. I liked the frame mounted safety, as it was more user friendly than the Beretta. I am not knocking Beretta as I love the 92fs design and a favorite of mine.

Also, gunwolf, great job on that pistol. Amazing work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a Taurus PT-99AFS back in 1997 for my academy class.  It was an awesome pistol!!!!

A classmate bought it from me at graduation and I wish I never sold it!

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a PT-100 when they first came out. It was my first pistol and I thought I liked the .40 S@W round. For some reason the pistol always fires two inches left of what you were aiming at. I sent it back to Taurus and they could not fix it. Ended up treading it for a Smith 659 that I wish I still had. I would love to have a PT-92 if you could change out the sites. Can you you cut a groove in the slide for a new front site or is there not enough metal for that?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
@Miami_JBT

Have you done an article/post on the Colt Z40 yet?

(I know you don't like CZs, however, its an obscure metal SA/DA.40SW, and its timely since Colt is now owned by CZ despite their collaboration on the Z40 failing.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top