Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2021 12:42:53 AM EDT
I fucking love this pistol. I have 14 mags for it, I load them up and go to town on this pistol. I would shoot it everyday if I had the time and ammo. It's the best gun purchase I ever made. So accurate and so fun to shoot
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Brother has one.  So accurate it's like cheating, he says.   I make do with my High Standard Supermatic Trophy.  Grandioser name...but accurate as hell, too.  It's like you can't miss.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a M41. It is a great design. However I have a High Standard Trophy 7.25" that is hands down the most accurate handgun I have ever shot.

From a historical perspective, the Victor dominated the Nationals at Camp Perry throughout the 1970s by many shooters who we revere today as legends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If ARF.COM ever has their NEW YEARS half of membership sale. I will re up. As I am not paying $25 to post pictures for a year.

I must say I had some issues with my Performance center M41. Like machine marks in the chamber, and a safety that does not always fully disengage even with it all the way in the off position. I polished it to mirror like and now it is a very reliable target gun.

I just got back from shooting the newly acquired Victor and the M41. It is hard to pick a winner they are both such damn fine pistols.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Having a pistol that is so much more capable than many shooters seems to make little sense but I find I can better concentrate when I am doing practice or matches.

Send a shot a bit wide and the is no question where the fault lies. Put the flub behind you and bear down on the next shot
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one and its a great pistol but I admit, I don't shoot it much. I wish they would reintroduce the "field" model or better yet, the field model barrels. With one of those barrels and some standard, non-bullseye, grips I know mine would get shot a lot more often.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Was there ever an option for a threaded bbl?   I’ve wanted one for years but I really only shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was there ever an option for a threaded bbl?   I’ve wanted one for years but I really only shoot suppressed.
View Quote

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/clark-sw-41-match-barrel/
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 7" 41 and a Browning Buckmark with TacSol barrel.
I enjoy them both but the 41 being all steel feel better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to vote for the Beretta 87.  Mine gets shot more than any other gun I have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I owned a few 41's thru the years and every-time I let one go I regretted it.
My new one is not going anywhere.

They are stupid accurate.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to have to give these a closer look next time I'm in a LGS. They look appealing but not being able to suppress was always my hang-up too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I've owned several 41's over the years.  The triggers are fantastic, but with some work and parts replacement, some (not all) of my Ruger's have just as accurate as the 41's.  I have an old Belgium made Browning Challenger that shoots as well as any of my 41's. But I agree the 41's, or at least the older ones, are great guns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I learned how to shoot pistols with a 41.

Got one for my son a few years back, then had to have one.

German Formgriffe (fits like a 1911 in the hand) on the gun, compared to factory:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  If ARF.COM ever has their NEW YEARS half of membership sale. I will re up. As I am not paying $25 to post pictures for a year.
View Quote

You don't have to pay $25 to post pics.  You have to pay $25 for ARFCOM to host your pics if you don't bother to get a free service to host them.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Picture-posting-tutorial-and-PICTURE-test-thread/168-638569/
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I love them, especially with a barrel that has the top strap removed and red dot on top.

Makes an awesome steel mower.

Here's one with a BullyBarrel by Ray Vin and some playmates.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Always wanted one but can't currently justify.

Already own VQ Mamba (Ruger mk clone)

Hoping I'll run into someone shooting a 41 at the range so I can try to justify.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 41, then another variation, then another.  Boringly accurate.  

Wanted to try something new, so I added a Browning Gold Medalist...yawn.  Same boring accuracy

I have one horrible memory about the 41.  Gun auction. a 41 22 short comes up, nice shape, in the box.  What I failed to realize, as did the avid collector with me, was the value.  The auction ended at ~ $770 (going rate for a model 41).  The collector said to me, "that figures".  I said, no it doesn't.  We blew it.  That's a $2,500 gun.   The short versions were military version, I believe, and quite rare, with  the lighter slide to function with less blowback.  

I'm not greedy, but I hate making mistakes.  I console myself by knowing, I would never have sold it for a profit, my heirs would, so what's the diff.  Although, I'd love to have a stronger FU fund right about now, because I have a lot of "work" left in me, but would rather it not be for my current employer.  Maybe I should have collected guns, more than gathered them (wife sees no difference BTW).  I did pay 1st year of college for child # 3, with a few toys, so life is good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Pics failing to load.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pics failing to load.
View Quote

Yea people don’t want to pay 2 bucks a month helping support a resource they have been using since 2002.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
No, not the best plinker.

It is probably the ultimate American made 22 target pistol, though that may start some bar fights with High Standard aficionados.  

At three times the cost of a Ruger, Buckmark, etc. it is better by not three times better.  Combine this with the typical plinker shooter using the cheapest bulk ammo to blast away and its true potential is never realized.  It is also more delicate than some other designs.

But this is America, buy what you like and enjoy it for whatever reason you have.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, not the best plinker.

It is probably the ultimate American made 22 target pistol, though that may start some bar fights with High Standard aficionados.  

At three times the cost of a Ruger, Buckmark, etc. it is better by not three times better.  Combine this with the typical plinker shooter using the cheapest bulk ammo to blast away and its true potential is never realized.  It is also more delicate than some other designs.

But this is America, buy what you like and enjoy it for whatever reason you have.

View Quote

A S&W model 41 isn't that delicate over any other .22LR, mine is over 40 years old has a lot of rounds through it and still runs like a champ. And I use any .22lr ammo I have laying around. I do use a buffer and a stronger recoil spring just to give me peace of mind. It just runs and runs and hits targets. And it is stupid easy to clean.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
With the cost of ammo being what it is, I recently bought and have been shooting two .22 pistols - a S&W 41 and a High Standard Victor.  Bought both used off of Gunbroker and love them both.  The 41 came with a red dot and I'm more accurate with it because of the dot.  But the High Standard has a better trigger. (Although they both are amazing).  Have been shooting mostly CCI standard velocity and Eley Club ammo.  Both run very reliably in both guns and are pretty accurate.  Honestly, since I'm shooting offhand I can't say I've notice much difference between these two brands of ammo, and don't think I'm accurate enough to spring for match ammo.  Shooting at 50' I can keep most of my shots inside a 3" circle, particularly with the S&W.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've owned several 41's over the years.  The triggers are fantastic, but with some work and parts replacement, some (not all) of my Ruger's have just as accurate as the 41's.  
View Quote

Thank you. You just saved me some money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought mine about 20 years ago .

Local shop that dealt mostly in tactical stuff had one nearly new in box that they had picked up in a estate sale . the shop owner wanted to dump it and ended up making me a deal that was closer to the cost of a Ruger mark III than what it should have been worth.

I have got a second barrel that I set up with a red dot , quick change barrels are a great feature of the 41s
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of replies about how accurate they are but nothing about how reliable the newly made made ones are . And we all know about S&W’s current hit or miss QC .
So to you owners of newly made 41’s . Are they reliable ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Ruger Standard Mk series the best pinker ever made.

The 41 is a great Target pistol, you still see them at Bullseye/Precision matches but High Standards are more prevalent among those still shooting classic target pistols.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ruger Standard Mk series the best pinker ever made.

The 41 is a great Target pistol, you still see them at Bullseye/Precision matches but High Standards are more prevalent among those still shooting classic target pistols.
View Quote

I'll take my 41 over the Ruger any day, plus my pistol is a lot easier to clean than the Ruger. You don't have to shoot a 41 like a target pistol, you can get a two handed "combat 1911 like grip" on it pretty easy
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I found the 41 to be finicky with ammo, poor extraction, and the safety kept kicking on in strings of fire.  The gun is amazingly accurate.  I fixed the safety, installed a Volquartsen extractor, and things are much better.  I still only shoot standard velocity ammo, and the gun is now reliable.  

I will say the Swiss made Sig Hammerli Trailside has been 100% reliable out of the box and is equally accurate.  People bag on the Trailside, but it has been 100% for me.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top