Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 7:53:38 AM EDT
Im a huge 92 fan...Have several. When it comes to an all-metal DA/SA, I think they're hard to beat after a nice trigger job and some spring changes esp. at their price point.

Somehow, as it always goes, I stumbled across the PX4. Probably due to LTT... I can't say I've never seen one before, but before a few weeks ago if you asked me what a PX4 was, or who made it I wouldn't have had an answer for you.

So, I started looking for one on the cheaper side so I could do the mods myself, instead of buying an LTT. Fast forward to a few days ago, I found one locally on Armslist at a pawnshop. I didn't get a smoking deal, but it was cheaper than any used one I was able to find on Gunbroker, and for some reason these aren't flooding the forums in the classifieds.

While I was researching them, its apparent they arent "popular" like other polymer guns, but it seemed that those who DO own them, love them.

...And I'll be honest, the rotating barrel is really what pushed me over the edge to pick one of these up.... It's just too cool!

First thing I did upon getting it home was clean it, convert to G model and stipple the grip as it was SLIIICK, and I'm not a fan of Talon grips. I plan on ordering an LTT trigger bar and 10# hammer spring for it and will probably leave it alone until I decide to RDO it.

It doesn't shoot much different than any other polymer 9mm handgun imo, but the ergo's really work for me, and since I'm committed to the DA/SA for now with the 92 in USPSA Production, it just makes sense for me to stay consistent for now.

The best part of it is, all of my buddies have been busting my chops for getting this "high point." Makes it all the more satisfying when I outshoot/perform them with it.

Overall, it's a pretty cool gun if you like DA/SA.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
They are OK, but for me but the safety lever absolutely sucks.
The lever ergonomics are terrible and the throw is terribly stiff
I do not see any increased accuracy from the barrel lockup.
Otherwise they are OK, I had one in 9mm and .40 and still have a .45
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my PX4.   Great gun.  Totally underrated.

Lots of haters but not me.  Gun works perfect and I enjoy it
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot my full-sized .40 50-75 rounds a week for 10 weeks without hiccups or accuracy issues. I've heard that they will lock up hard under "hard use" but am not sure what that means.

I like mine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
A good gun that came to market to little, to late.  The movie "inception" couldn't even give it a buying boost.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine because of Inception

It's my favorite handgun. TJIB, optimized trigger bar, 10lb. hammer spring, metal trigger, SD double recoil spring, extended barrel, and updated g levers.

Thinking about stippling mine and installing night sights at some point, but it shoots so well that I'm a little hesitant to swap them out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I might need to stipple one of my px4, that turned out really nice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine a lot.  Bought it for the interesting design, find it a lot of fun to shoot.  Carries comfortably in this Beretta brand holster.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I really want one in 45, as thats what I have for pistol ammo for my M&P.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want one in 45, as thats what I have for pistol ammo for my M&P.
View Quote

This sat in somebody's safe for 11 years and had never been shot.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good gun, I have a couple. So was the cougar
View Quote

The Cougar was/is the best handgun Beretta has ever made.

The PX4 is decent (I've been happy with mine, although I must admit that replacing the original Indiglow (or whatever they're called) sights with a set of tritium night sights was not a lot of fun given that Beretta 'welds' the sights in... ).

Forrest
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree OP, I don't have one but when I was buying my first pistol I narrowed my choice down to either a PX4 in .45 or an FNP-45; ultimately I went with the FN for the added capacity and the PX4 has never been that much of a priority to pick up since.

I like the ergonomics though and the rotating barrel lockup is neat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
It is. I bought the LTT PX4 compact carry and it’s a soft shooter.

But I am so old and used to the 92 that the PX4 CC is sitting in the safe and if I want to carry a DA/SA, I always pick up the 92.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My son inlaw is berretta fan. We all chipped in and bought him a 92 for his birthday. He carried it for a year and decided he wanted something similar but smaller. He likes sa/da. He bought a px4. I had never held one. He bought it over and I'm thinking this thing is goofy. Then I shot it and changed my mind. I wouldn't buy one but if you like da carry its a great option.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Owned 2, highly underrated. Worst thing I ever did was sell those for 100$ more than I paid for them. Bought a compact fde at 399 new and a 40 stainless for 375 new. Will never see those prices again
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]

I have no idea why but I always like the looks of the subs...Never did buy one though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah my first ever gun was a 45 PX4.  Absolutely love it.

I'm a striker guy now, but the PX4 is still one I take out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha Ha.  It is a big old serious gun and I have one, too, and am looking for a good holster for it.  For some reason Beretta doesn't make one of their excellent leather products for this particular model.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm a striker guy now, but the PX4 is still one I take out.
View Quote

I bought a .40, primarily because the 14 round magazines were legal in NJ at the time.

Then my buddy bought a .45.  Then his wife bought a 9mm.

All are good shooting and accurate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's my favorite handgun. TJIB, optimized trigger bar, 10lb. hammer spring, metal trigger, SD double recoil spring, extended barrel, and updated g levers.

Thinking about stippling mine and installing night sights at some point, but it shoots so well that I'm a little hesitant to swap them out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/274532/PXL_20220203_224913923_2_jpg-2265740.JPG

View Quote

Where does one get this barrel.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Had one.  Excellent pistol.  The sub compact did seem a little big..
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/274532/PXL_20220203_224913923_2_jpg-2265740.JPG

Where does one get this barrel.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218810/20200530_173737_jpg-2298570.JPG

The part number is JBPX49FEXT

I don't think they make it anymore
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ha Ha.  It is a big old serious gun and I have one, too, and am looking for a good holster for it.  For some reason Beretta doesn't make one of their excellent leather products for this particular model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have iwb from Palmetto Leather. Pretty happy with it, had him make it a tad longer to cover the px4 sd barrel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
JUST fondled our PX4 Compact. That is indeed a sweet machine, IMO.
View Quote

My EDC the last three years.
Shoots well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]
A PX4 compact is on my short list of wanted guns.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm on the fence for a type C (constant action), but I have know idea what the trigger pull is like.
Would love to handle one before I commit, but can't find them anywhere.

Anyone have any insight on them?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I was always thought the PX4 was a hideous looking pistol with bad marketing from Beretta. That is until I watched the video series Ernest Langdon did where he put 50k rounds through it. That really got me interested in the DA/SA platform.
Sure enough when I got mine Bass pro had some smoking deals on them and I got it for less than $500. Even in stock configuration with the heavy hammer spring I was noticing better accuracy in my first shot from draw in DA and my double taps were grouping together.
The only upgrades I did was a steel guide rod, competition trigger group from Beretta, 11 lb hammer spring, Ameriglo sights and I did a G conversion for the safety. I got a vedder light tuck holster and it became my daily carry. I only recently switched to a 92x compact or P365 as my daily carry but occasionally I go back to it. I got the full size inox but it’s about the size of a G19.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Never shot one but would be happy too.  They just always seemed so chunky to me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought one in .45, swear to God, its softer shooting then my 9mm glock.

Contemplating on looking for the small one for CC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone make a threaded barrel for one? I've seen the extended ones but don't want to go that route.

I picked up a police trade in that Aim had a few years ago and ut was a great bargain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I had the version that was like DAO but Was always half cocked. It was a fine pistol just prefer my 92fs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone install the nickel plated spring set?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a threaded barrel for one? I've seen the extended ones but don't want to go that route.

I picked up a police trade in that Aim had a few years ago and ut was a great bargain.
View Quote

I dunno.... can you even do a threaded barrel on a rotating barrel action?
If memory serves the firing action would impart a leftward loosening action on any standard right hand threaded suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I wish I kept mine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They are OK, but for me but the safety lever absolutely sucks.
The lever ergonomics are terrible and the throw is terribly stiff
I do not see any increased accuracy from the barrel lockup.
Otherwise they are OK, I had one in 9mm and .40 and still have a .45
View Quote

A little gunsmithing and that safety can be as smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I've carried a 9mm Px4 Sub Compact for 15 years. Awesome pistol and even with the 3-inch barrel I can consistently hit 5 out of 5 on a milk jug at 50 yards (with good ammo). I carry a 13 round mag in the gun and up to three 20-rd mags on me and/or in the car. I also have the Insight X2 light/laser for it. Never jams and have probably 5,000 rounds through it. Decock safety works great and no issues getting it off but it's well worn (although the shape was designed more for looks than practicality- note, there was another safety made/offered at one time that is more squared off and larger).
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If memory serves the firing action would impart a leftward loosening action on any standard right hand threaded suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@gogetumnow
@TxAggieA-Batt

They used to sell extended barrels but I haven't seen them on the Beretta site for awhile.  And Silencerco has a view of them firing a threaded one, you're either going to get loosening or tightening based on the barrel torque after every mag or so. Apparently there was an adapter made by Gemtech (designed, never produced) during the Joint Combat Pistol solicitation that solved that but Beretta is sitting on the patent / tech data and not manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/1030/969394391/wm_5106464.jpg

I have no idea why but I always like the looks of the subs...Never did buy one though.
View Quote

It’s is called a PX4.
It is styled to look like the full sized and compact PX4s.

But is an entirely different operating system and design.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought the .40 when it first came out.  Very soft shooting pistol, esp with 180 gr loads.

The recoil difference between it and the 96 is very obvious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top