Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2021 8:35:16 PM EDT

Found one at a pawn shop for $99.99 cuz the cylinder wouldn’t rotate. Bought it and discovered someone took it apart and didn’t put it back together properly.

Disassembled it and put it together properly but HOLY HELL the DA pull was about 18 pounds and the trigger reset beat my finger to death.

Fast forward a week, installed the Wolff spring kit for the 85 and the DA pull is a crisp 7 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!   It is a great feeling to find something like that and with a little work they run like a top!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you polish anything while you had it apart? All of the Taurus guns I've had* were rough on the inside; a light polishing and a Wolff spring kit made noticeable improvements.

*I used to pick them up when I'd find them cheap just to practice working on them; it's been a long time since I saw one that wasn't overpriced though.  The only one I've still got is an older model 94.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Did you polish anything while you had it apart? All of the Taurus guns I've had* were rough on the inside; a light polishing and a Wolff spring kit made noticeable improvements.

*I used to pick them up when I'd find them cheap just to practice working on them; it's been a long time since I saw one that wasn't overpriced though.  The only one I've still got is an older model 94.
View Quote

yup, first think I did was smooth the internals and put a Wolff kit in
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ourichie:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ourichie:
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

If they haven't been shot apart most of them aren't bad guns once they're cleaned up and have Wolff springs put in them.  The biggest things I've noticed, at least in the older guns, is that the steel isn't a hard as it should be and folks here like to shot +P ammo in them.  The cranes get worn and the cylinder gap opens up and the notches on the cylinder get peened and the stop no longer fits tightly so the timing gets off.  It doesn't take much for it to be more expensive to repair, even doing it yourself, than it is to just buy another (well pre-panic anyways).  

My biggest issue with them has always been the grip.  I shoot S&W revolvers and the grips on the Taurus revolvers are slightly different so they feel "off" to me, even when I put aftermarket grips on the gun.  I keep the 94 around since I haven't been able to find a S&W 34 or 63 at a price I'm willing to pay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of grips are on it? I didn't like the factory grips and changed them out for a Biharmi Hip Grip which was OK but the new carry laws make that a no-go. Are you running the factory grip, a boot grip, or something else?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried several factory and aftermarket grips and they're just slightly off from the Smiths; purely subjective.  I can shoot them fine, I just prefer the Smiths.  FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Ruger or Colt factory grips on their double actions either.  Probably has more to do with growing up shooting Smiths than anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top