Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2024 9:32:46 PM EDT
I've always wanted a mountain gun in 41 magnum,  but I know if I buy one I won't want to carry it.
So, I've been thinking about buying a cheap(er) well used model 57 6" pistol and having it chopped and refinished.
Does this make sense financially?
I'm not really sure who to call to get a quote on the work,  so any advice on that would be appreciated as well.
The gun I'm looking at would probably be about $750 + the cost of chopping and finishing.
So either tell me to shut up and just buy a mountain gun or point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Inimicalone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If yoou have a line on a 57 with a 6" barrel that is not all shot loose for $750, buy it, ammo, dies and components and leave the gun alone except to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What Mindless said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the Mountain Gun.  You'll be money ahead and have a better pistol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would go with a 44 mag mountain gun or the like and you could still shoot 44 Special ammo which is pleasant to shoot, comparatively.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Or you could chop the barrel and not refinish. So the only thing that changes there is the muzzle would be in the white. Who cares, basic maintenance will keep it in shape

Or just find a 4” 57 and run it.

I do agree the 29/44 mag is a bit more versatile, easier to source ammo and reload components ( no one in their right mind should be expecting to shoot a heavy caliber N frame without also being a reloader)  and there are a lot more of them out there so probably lower overall cost too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Lew Horton had S&W make a 3 inch 657 back in the mid 90s. That was a BEAST. It was completely awesome. I think it was a run of 500.

S&W 3 inch 41 mag.

41 mag
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lew Horton had S&W make a 3 inch 657 back in the mid 90s. That was a BEAST. It was completely awesome. I think it was a run of 500.

S&W 3 inch 41 mag.

41 mag
View Quote

That's sexy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't make much sense. Just buy a 4" 57. Better yet, get a 657 which is far easier to take care of and handles the great outdoors much better. I've been on the hunt for a nice 657 4", and I already have a 629 Mountain Gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't make much sense. Just buy a 4" 57. Better yet, get a 657 which is far easier to take care of and handles the great outdoors much better. I've been on the hunt for a nice 657 4", and I already have a 629 Mountain Gun.
View Quote

I have been a blue gun fan forever. I have never found blue guns to be more maintenance intensive or harder to take care of. I am a “five minute clean “ guy, and don’t lavish tons of time to clean to white glove inspection standards. Knock enough crud off the gun to keep it running and leave it at that.

I do see a role for stainless if you live in a swamp or keep a gun is a vehicle in humid conditions.

I used to carry a blue steel J in an ankle rig all the time. Stepping in puddles snow banks etc. never a problem, even took a couple inadvertent swims where the gun was fully under water- wipe it down and back in service. It never rusted and as it developed wear to the finish ( not as much as you might expect in those conditions) it looked great.

Even with minimal care, blue guns do just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top