Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2024 6:25:39 PM EDT
I picked this up from HKpro and it's awesome! I had never heard of these before and it's basically a P224 slide on a P229 frame. Any idea how long they made them for? I know the P224 didn't last long.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy why? What a weird gun. 224 was what .4" shorter barrel than a 229. Wonder if it was a distributor exclusive or a way to get rid of parts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Buy why? What a weird gun. 224 was what .4" shorter barrel than a 229. Wonder if it was a distributor exclusive or a way to get rid of parts.
View Quote

I assume it was a way to get rid of 224 parts once it was discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#3]
That’s almost exactly what it was. The 224 sold poorly while the 229 sells very well. Sig took the slide from the 224 along with the 224s take down lever, slide release and decocker and made a new SKU. They did something similar back in the early 2000s with the P228R. They had a lot of slides but at that time had stopped making the classic non-railed frames so they put those uppers on 229R frames and called it the 228R until they sold out of those 228 uppers. Back then people just didn’t spend the money to bling out their pistols. So when they had excess parts they’d cobble together a working firearm it they typically sold well to collectors. I doubt we’ll see Sig do this anymore since people buy slides readily and Sig of today sells tons of small parts to customize your gun.

The 224 was a neat idea that just came at the wrong time. People back then had an aversion to aluminum and steel framed guns where nowadays those guns are in high demand to the point you have companies like S&W making metal versions of their polymer pistols. It’s interesting to see how the industry has shifted for the past 30+ years. We’ve basically come full circle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:
That’s almost exactly what it was. The 224 sold poorly while the 229 sells very well. Sig took the slide from the 224 along with the 224s take down lever, slide release and decocker and made a new SKU. They did something similar back in the early 2000s with the P228R. They had a lot of slides but at that time had stopped making the classic non-railed frames so they put those uppers on 229R frames and called it the 228R until they sold out of those 228 uppers. Back then people just didn’t spend the money to bling out their pistols. So when they had excess parts they’d cobble together a working firearm it they typically sold well to collectors. I doubt we’ll see Sig do this anymore since people buy slides readily and Sig of today sells tons of small parts to customize your gun.

The 224 was a neat idea that just came at the wrong time. People back then had an aversion to aluminum and steel framed guns where nowadays those guns are in high demand to the point you have companies like S&W making metal versions of their polymer pistols. It’s interesting to see how the industry has shifted for the past 30+ years. We’ve basically come full circle.
View Quote

They probably would have sold well 10-15 years sooner as well. Sig has always liked digging in that parts bin. I remember we got a batch of 226's in and there were a few configurations all with the same sku. Some had short triggers some didn't some were SRT some weren't. Think there were some different levers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah a 224 in 1997-1999 time frame would have probably sold well. It would have been a great answer to the Glock 26/27. Back then despite Glocks success, Sig still had a very strong foothold in the LE market with the 226 and 229.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been looking for the same gun for sometime and just never been able to locate one. I think its a cool idea but as mentioned it did not last long.

While looking I found a Sig 229 SAS in 9mm and could not pass it up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top