Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/14/2019 11:53:13 AM EDT
I recently bought a Beretta 81 (base model) from AIM Surplus. I have shot an old Beretta 71 in .22lr before, and own a Tomcat, but have no experience with the 80-series. Anything I should know?

And are there any safety quirks with the older 80-series guns that might be important if I plan to carry it?

I'm pretty excited.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
32ACP pretty worthless.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
32ACP pretty worthless.
View Quote
It was good enough to kill Hitler.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I always love the caliber bashers. I can only guess he has never been shot by a 32. I’d rather have it than nothing at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently bought a Beretta 81 (base model) from AIM Surplus. I have shot an old Beretta 71 in .22lr before, and own a Tomcat, but have no experience with the 80-series. Anything I should know?

And are there any safety quirks with the older 80-series guns that might be important if I plan to carry it?

I'm pretty excited.
View Quote
As well you should be...they are little, .32 caliber laser beams!!!!

I have an 84 in .380.  Great gun ( I adore it ) but it is about on par with a PPk for recoil.

My PP in .32 on the other hand...it's a dream!!!!!  A dream, I say!!!  I cannot WAIT for the 81...OMG!!  Gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

I absolutely LOVE .32 caliber weapons.  Not nearly as popular as they deserve to be.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have an 84 in .380.  Great gun ( I adore it ) but it is about on par with a PPk for recoil.

My PP in .32 on the other hand...it's a dream!!!!!  A dream, I say!!!  I cannot WAIT for the 81...OMG!!  Gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

I absolutely LOVE .32 caliber weapons.  Not nearly as popular as they deserve to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty excited.

I have 3 .32's now (the incoming Beretta 81, a Seecamp 32 that is my go-to deep-cover gun, and a Tomcat) and I agree. The same small size as a .22, more controllable than a .308, and just as much practical lethality as the .380. I have a few more that I am hoping to buy in the future, namely the Czech-point vz. 61 and the .32 version of the Beretta Pico that Beretta has been promising for years, but I am growing to love the little cartridge.

I think the lack of popularity is largely due to the ignorance of the American gun market. Most people assume .380 is better than .32 just because it is a bigger diameter. I think they are extremely incorrect in that assumption, especially when it comes to smaller guns, but that is a completely different debate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 3 .32's now (the incoming Beretta 81, a Seecamp 32 that is my go-to deep-cover gun, and a Tomcat) and I agree. The same small size as a .22, more controllable than a .308, and just as much practical lethality as the .380. I have a few more that I am hoping to buy in the future, namely the Czech-point vz. 61 and the .32 version of the Beretta Pico that Beretta has been promising for years, but I am growing to love the little cartridge.

I think the lack of popularity is largely due to the ignorance of the American gun market. Most people assume .380 is better than .32 just because it is a bigger diameter. I think they are extremely incorrect in that assumption, especially when it comes to smaller guns, but that is a completely different debate.
View Quote
I agree.  Here's my take and it is not the end all statement for the argument:  Can you hit and hit fast and accurate with it?  Then it'll do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they are nice, we removed the bottom 20% of guns and are only selling the best ones.   I am buying one
View Quote
sweet, good to know

Have you guys got any idea which agencies might have used these?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
they are nice, we removed the bottom 20% of guns and are only selling the best ones.   I am buying one
View Quote
I am dying for mine to ship!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Aim was out so I bought one from Classic. Looks like it should be a fun little pistol
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You remind me of someone I know who is in AZ who has an unhealthy obsession for .32.

Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I got one too.

So...anyone got a line on where to get some more mags?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You remind me of someone I know who is in AZ who has an unhealthy obsession for .32.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Bryan_Aim :

I got my email at 2:07pm on Wednesday, Arizona time.  How long did it take the whole lot to sell out?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Select sold out by 8pm, standard lasted 20 hours.
View Quote
@Bryan_Aim:

You shoulda seen me trying to be soooooo Zen while stuck in traffic and trying to get home before the select grade sold out!!!!

Then, I tried to log in to AIM and my password was dead.  Thank God the site had me up and running in short order.

I made the cutoff by about 20 minutes.  Whew!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got one too.

View Quote
This is the list I plan on buying if I decide it is worthy of carrying

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C85888

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C90214

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C90171

Also this, because why not: http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-84f-wood-grips/jg84fw/

Beretta also has the 81 magazine for the same cost if you don't want to get the new springs, so you can get the mags and grips on the same shipping cost.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
should start shipping tomorrow, i graded every gun, we have more coming
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aim was out so I bought one from Classic. Looks like it should be a fun little pistol
What agency are these coming from? Can you tell us, or is there some contract language that forbids disclosing such info?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Select sold out by 8pm, standard lasted 20 hours.
View Quote
That job must cost you some money. How many of these cool deals do the AIM employees jump on? Is it normal for a bunch of AIM staff to buy some of the cooler imports, or are you guys just desensitized to it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got one too.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
shoot a 32 acp, it definitely has some oomph out of it.  although these are kinda of a giant gun for that cartridge.  I got it for the Beretta collect ability and possible suppressor use down the road.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
shoot a 32 acp, it definitely has some oomph out of it.  although these are kinda of a giant gun for that cartridge.  I got it for the Beretta collect ability and possible suppressor use down the road.
View Quote
If it's anything like the other small-bore Beretta's I've shot (Tomcat, M-71) it'll be a little more recoil than .22 but overall a super easy shooter. It may be decently-sized but it allows for drastically more lethality than .22lr in essentially the same type of easy-to-shoot package.

I expect it'll make an exceptional can host.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a select grade from AIM and one from Classic.  I have several 81FS models but none of the original 81 models.

There are some differences in the 81 and my 81FS guns so it will be interesting to actually see the different versions in person.

I will be using one with a suppressor and may carry one on occasion.  I really didn't want to shoot my FS models since they are NIB so I jumped on these surplus models.

Can't wait to get them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a select grade from AIM and one from Classic.  I have several 81FS models but none of the original 81 models.

There are some differences in the 81 and my 81FS guns so it will be interesting to actually see the different versions in person.

I will be using one with a suppressor and may carry one on occasion.  I really didn't want to shoot my FS models since they are NIB so I jumped on these surplus models.

Can't wait to get them.
View Quote
did you find an extra extended/threaded barrel or did you just have the basic barrel threaded?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I absolutely adore .32
I have two for now, but plan on getting more. Probably my favorite caliber for these compact handguns

1968 Beretta 70 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

1965 Walther PPK by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA oh and 'close up, shot placement'
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
did you find an extra extended/threaded barrel or did you just have the basic barrel threaded?
View Quote
Beretta 81 GD Thread

In the GD thread on these pistols,  someone apparently had threaded barrels made by Allegheny Arms that evidently does them in small batches.

I bet this recent pile of imports will help boost a new batch of threaded barrel orders.  What is the barrel diameter of these?  possible 1/2x28 threads?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Beretta 81 GD Thread

In the GD thread on these pistols,  someone apparently had threaded barrels made by Allegheny Arms that evidently does them in small batches.

I bet this recent pile of imports will help boost a new batch of threaded barrel orders.  What is the barrel diameter of these?  possible 1/2x28 threads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta 81 GD Thread

Don't know the .dia but from their website its 1/2x28 thread pitch.

https://alleghenyarms.com/accessories/

AG-38Beretta 81/2 blued 4? .32acp Threaded 1/2-28 w/TP$185
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
sweet, good to know

Have you guys got any idea which agencies might have used these?
View Quote
dk lists theirs as from the Italian prison system.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I may buy grips for this pistol but that's all, threaded barrel and/or x mags for a $200 gun not worth the investment to me. I have a collection of about
20 32cal auto pistols mostly from the golden age of mouse guns, something I would bring along on range day to shoot maybe 30 rounds through but
none have x mags, always way too expensive for something that might get used once every 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any timeline on when will you listing more?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Just ordered one from Classic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Any idea if you guys are getting some more of the Beretta model 84's? Since I already reload 380 I'll get one of those!

Beretta Model 84 380 ACP Pistol Review

@Bryan_Aim
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

AG-38Beretta 81/2 blued 4 .32acp Threaded 1/2-28 w/TP$185
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta 81 GD Thread

AG-38Beretta 81/2 blued 4 .32acp Threaded 1/2-28 w/TP$185
awesome, I bookmarked that for when I actually have my can
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody have a source to get G10 grips for these?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haven't ever seen any. The grips are the same as the more common 84, but I've only seen plastic stock grips and wood grips for them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Allegheny has some in the works. But they aren't available or listed on website yet. Saw a post by them about them on the Beretta forum.

G10 grips
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I purchased a threaded barrel from Allegheny Arms.  I was on their waiting list and the order was recently fulfilled.

I'm not sure it fits the plain 81 model but am hoping it does.  If not then I'll use it with one of my 81FS models or may have Allegheny thread the barrel of the 81.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got any Model 82 (single stack) coming?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
awesome, I bookmarked that for when I actually have my can
View Quote
You need to call or email them and get put on their waiting list because the last run was just enough to fulfill the waiting list I believe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I am curious if these 10 round Beretta 84  mags would work for the 32 ACP?

They have indentations for capacity and curious if that will help feed the 32?

CDNN Beretta 84 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ordered one in standard grade because select grade was sold out. Now I see select grade are available again. Any chance I can send you guys the $20 difference and you upgrade me to select? Thanks.

@Bryan_Aim
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#47]
So can anyone confirm if the new factory 81 mags work in these?

Seems like they should based on their description.

Been looking for an 81/82 for a while and this is hands down the best deal I've ever seen.

If AIM says it's a select grade, it's probably gonna be a good one.

BTW I found this deal on another forum with a link to the select grades, but when I went to AIM's site this morning and scrolled thru their NEW listing neither the select or shooter's grade came up.

And a search for 'beretta 81' only pulled up the shooter's grade listing which was OOS. had to go back to the link in the other forum to find it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Been looking for an 81/82 for a while and this is hands down the best deal I've ever seen.

BTW I found this deal on another forum with a link to the select grades, but when I went to AIM's site this morning and scrolled thru their NEW listing neither the select or shooter's grade came up.

And a search for 'beretta 81' only pulled up the shooter's grade listing which was OOS. had to go back to the link in the other forum to find it.
View Quote
They should work.  We'll know when I pick up my 81 next week.  I have new 81 Beretta mags coming in today.  I have never had a problem with BDA mags in an 84 so it should be a similar situation as my BDA mags, IIRC were listed for both the 84 and the BDA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They should work.  We'll know when I pick up my 81 next week.  I have new 81 Beretta mags coming in today.  I have never had a problem with BDA mags in an 84 so it should be a similar situation as my BDA mags, IIRC were listed for both the 84 and the BDA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BDA was just an enclosed-slide 80-series, so that makes sense. I wasn't able to find any evidence of magazine changes between the generations of the 81 so we should all be good with the new mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I am curious if these 10 round Beretta 84  mags would work for the 32 ACP?

They have indentations for capacity and curious if that will help feed the 32?

CDNN Beretta 84 10 round mags. https://www.cdnnsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/berms85198.jpg
View Quote
If it was half that price I'd say buy it and try, but for that price you might as well just get the one that is designed for it rather than risk having a jamomatic magazine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top