Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2020 8:21:06 PM EDT
I'm, again, considering a compact .380; had a Glock 42 and sold it.  Had a terrible time with bullet set back.

Looking for something with a metal frame, and hammer fired.

Who makes good ones? Which to stay far from?

Need something very concealable.

If you have one, would like to hear about your experiences.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously not a 1911 but if you're shopping around, the PPK/S is an absolutely outstanding .380. Compact, ergonomic, SA/DA with a decocker, very accurate. Also all metal like those mini-1911s so if you had to you could still pistol-whip someone w/it… which is nice.

FYI- Only real difference between the PPK and the PPK/S is that the /S frame accommodates an additional round. Its effects on concealability are negligible.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed my Springfield 911, accurate, comfortable, just big enough.

A bit thicker than an LCP, sold it to help standardize manual of arms.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both the Colt Mustang and the Sig 238
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Mustang Pocket Lite... very accurate,, but I shot at least 5 other similar, and they were not as accurate as mine...I did not like the fact that the safety blocked the hammer and not the sear... when you released the safety, the hammer noticeably moved... I went TO a G42
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my 911 it's a 9mm but similar in size to the 380.  I find that in very small guns I shoot the single actions much better.  I can shoot my 911 just about as well as a full size striker pistol at 10 yards.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt Mustang
Mine is 100% reliable and has been for a couple of decades.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed my Springfield 911, accurate, comfortable, just big enough.
A bit thicker than an LCP, sold it to help standardize manual of arms.
View Quote

This. I used to deep-conceal a Ruger LCP-II until a friend showed me his SA 911 .380, I was impressed w/the heft/feel/tritium sights/ergonomics/trigger/minimal recoil (few guns this size are a pleasure to shoot) yet it still conceals comfortably holstered in my back pocket where I carried the LCP-II.

I now own 3 911 .380's that rotate between car, carry & training. With about 200rds through them so far, the first two have been 100% out of the box, the third initially had a couple of FTF's when chambering a rd from the slide release (slide wouldn't quite go into battery, a slight nudge was all it needed) but has been 100% since. The 7rd mag w/pinky extension is my favorite, I keep the 6rd flat-based mags for reloads (speaking of mags, SA has their mags for 20% off when you register the warranty online).
I don't know how long it will last, but Sportsmans Warehouse has two models of the SA 911 .380 on sale for $429 right now: SA 911 .380

Tomac

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh just find yourself a nice Colt 1908 hammerless and enjoy.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm, again, considering a compact .380; had a Glock 42 and sold it.  Had a terrible time with bullet set back.

Looking for something with a metal frame, and hammer fired.

Who makes good ones? Which to stay far from?

Need something very concealable.

If you have one, would like to hear about your experiences.

View Quote

If your spec envelope can be enlarged to include metal frame rails in polymer grip frame, Browning 1911 .380 Black Label compact. Being a locked breech short recoil operated design makes them the smoothest shooting .380. Locked breech and good SA trigger make them easy to be both fast and accurate with.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a Mustang Pocket Lite... very accurate,, but I shot at least 5 other similar, and they were not as accurate as mine...I did not like the fact that the safety blocked the hammer and not the sear... when you released the safety, the hammer noticeably moved... I went TO a G42
View Quote

P238 is Sig's version of the Mustang.
P938 is a grown up 9x19 P238.
I don't mind that the safety lifts the hammer off the sear, but I do mind that it means I can't flip the safety up with the top of my thumb because it takes too much force to lift the hammer off the sear. Always intended to modify the safety to minimize the hammer movement. It's annoying when the safety disengages easily but engages so hard.
But I only really notice it when I'm at the range, IRL it gets loaded, safed and left safe.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Kimber micro, geco ammo, recluse holster.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Like my Colt Mustang Pocketlite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've played around with a Sig P238 and a Springfield 911. I had a buddy who had the Colt, but I never shot it.

What I ended up buying (and it's my most common carry gun) is a Sig P938. Ever so slightly larger than the P238, but in 9mm. And it's a joy to shoot, which is rare in guns of it's size.

I'm ambivalent on 380, really, especially in a gun of this size. 9mm does just as well, and is more likely to perform terminally than 380. If you can handle the 9mm, I would.

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had several .380s.  The Sig P238 is the product enhanced version of the Colt Mustang.  You are getting the latest and greatest.  They've worked out all the early bugs, like recoil springs, mag feeding, & barrel hood peening.  It works.  Don't know much about the SA 911, but it looks to be a clone of the P238.  These type of pistols work with hollow point ammo.  

Can't say the same for the PPK/S.  Those were finicky.  Don't know if they changed that with the re-model.  

I dumped all of mine because of ammo costs and shortage.  Why not step up to 9mm?  
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had several .380s.  The Sig P238 is the product enhanced version of the Colt Mustang.  You are getting the latest and greatest.  They've worked out all the early bugs, like recoil springs, mag feeding, & barrel hood peening.  It works.  Don't know much about the SA 911, but it looks to be a clone of the P238.  These type of pistols work with hollow point ammo.  
Can't say the same for the PPK/S.  Those were finicky.  Don't know if they changed that with the re-model.  
I dumped all of mine because of ammo costs and shortage.  Why not step up to 9mm?  
View Quote

The only reason I'm not carrying a P938 or SA 911 9mm is I like holstered back-pocket carry for my 24/7 'always on me' gun. The SA 911 380 is exactly at the limit of what I can conceal in my back pocket, any longer at all won't work (and the 9mm versions are at least .4" longer ).

Tomac
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only reason I'm not carrying a P938 or SA 911 9mm is I like holstered back-pocket carry for my 24/7 'always on me' gun. The SA 911 380 is exactly at the limit of what I can conceal in my back pocket, any longer at all won't work (and the 9mm versions are at least .4" longer ).

Tomac
View Quote

Man, I get it, and the specs say you're right... but I gotta tell you, you can't even tell a 938 from a 238 unless you look at the number on the slide...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I want a pocket carry 9mm. I have an lcp2 now as a backup but I would rather have the backup in the same caliber as primary.  The 911 is about the same size as lcp. With real sights and a thumb safety and better caliber. P365 would be my other choice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#19]
On my P238 I’ve found I have to adjust my grip otherwise I occasionally trip the mag release under recoil.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Man, I get it, and the specs say you're right... but I gotta tell you, you can't even tell a 938 from a 238 unless you look at the number on the slide...
View Quote

How about recoil? Is the 938 a lot snappier than the 238?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't shot both. But the 938 is easy to control, even with the short mag and my big mitts meaning one finger is completely off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IME the felt recoil from the 938 is a step up from the 238, and it’s noticeable.  I don’t know if I’d go as far as “a lot”.  To an extent, felt recoil is subjective.

If you want to shoot any pocket sized pistol effectively, you need to be prepared to devote time to training with it.  With training, I think any adult male of average strength could learn to shoot a 938 effectively.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

938 owner here.

I wouldn't say it was a huge leap in recoil but there's certainly a difference. With the pinky rest mags, it's easily dealt with. I opt for the 938 due to the expanded ammo offerings as well as the extra horsepower in 9mm.

My 938 is amazingly accurate for what it is, IMO. I'm a decent shot with small guns (J-frames, etc) but the 938 makes me look REAL good, IMO.

I haven't shot the Springfield 911 in either caliber so I can't honestly comment on them. They feel like a quality gun though.

My .o2

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The first pistol I bought when I was old enough was a Llama .380 that looked like a mini 1911. As I recall, it was reliable and at least as accurate as I was back in the late 1980s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Beretta 84F.

Not a tiny pocket pistol, but you get a great quality double stack .380.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
What is the reason or cons for carrying a cocked and locked pocket pistol over a DAO pocket pistol ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the reason or cons for carrying a cocked and locked pocket pistol over a DAO pocket pistol ?
View Quote

Trigger pull.

With something like a Sig 238/938, you're looking at a very good trigger. Not quite match grade, but still waaaay better than a stock Glock, for instance.

Something like a Ruger LCP... you're looking at what can only be described as a very heavy trigger.

With my 938, I get something that is capable of reliable headshots at 25 yards, but fits in my pocket.

The con, of course, is forgetting the safety. But I started out carrying a 1911 (and most of my early training was on one), and swiping that off is just automatic for me, so I don't view that as a problem. (It's bad enough for me that I had to 'G' mod my Beretta, because I was safeing it in competition unconsciously. Now I just decock the thing and don't get a dead trigger.)
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I own several 1911 inspired 380’s.  The Rock Island Baby Rock is just a scaled down 1911 and is a blast to take to the range.  It is similar to the Browning, but is all steel and costs significantly less.  The only drawbacks are that the sights are very basic and it is too large for pocket carry.

I have versions of both the Sig P238 and the Springfield 911. The 911 is essentially a copy of the P238 and the specs are almost identical. Pocket carry is an option with both models, and it really just comes down to personal preference.  Despite owning all of these guns, my pocket carry of choice is still the Ruger LCP II.  The blackout out non-adjustable sights on the LCP II aren’t as nice as any of the Sig or Springfield options, but the gun is accurate enough for its purpose and is the most comfortable for me to pocket carry.  Your mileage may vary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top