Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 9:58:53 AM EDT
Ok so I have a 10mm TRP Operator on order that will hopefully be shipping in the next few days. This will be my first 10mm 1911.

I called SA to try to talk to a tech person to see what it’s geared towards ammo wise from the factory and they won’t let you talk to someone like that, only CS reps who just read scripted stuff. I explained that I wanted to shoot both the lower pressure target stuff as well as the full power loads and asked what they recommend as far as springs and what it’s setup for from the factory. All this lady could do was fucking parrot the same script that they recommend commercial SAAMI spec ammo in their 10mm’s and don’t recommend +p or +p+ in any of their guns and if you do shoot it don’t shoot a lot. I tried to explain that technically full power 10mm is SAAMI still and if a gun will run the lower pressure stuff without a spring change then it’s going to beat the crap out of the gun with the high pressure... read the same fucking script again lol, so...

Does anyone know what they’re setup for and have recommendations for spring rates? Someone else mentioned installing a Dawson buffer but I’m unfamiliar with those.

I know if something happens to the gun they’ll fix it under warranty as long as I’m shooting factory ammo (which I will be), but I’d rather avoid that if possible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a trp operator but I run a 22lb recoil spring in my kimber tle 10mm when shooting 180gr  Sierra Jhp over a max charge of hodgdon longshot that runs 1,305 fps from the 5 inch barrel. For 10mm lite loads I run the factory 18.5lb recoil spring.

Eta- skip the recoil / shock buffer, they tend to cause more problems that outweigh any of their perceived benefits. I have seen feeding issues directly related to their use, and with them installed you can no longer slingshot the slide to chamber a round, you must use the slide stop.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a 26# mainspring and a 22# recoil spring in my Dan Wesson 10mm and it runs the hottest underwood ammo and "crappy'' ammo without any issues.  I think that would be a good place to start with the mainspring being more important than the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I run an 18.5 lb mainspring, 21 lb mainsprings add at least 1/4 lb to my trigger pull weight and im a trigger pull snob with 1911's . I run an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop instead of a heavier mainspring to accomplish the goal of slowing the initial slide opening.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does anyone know what they’re setup for and have recommendations for spring rates? Someone else mentioned installing a Dawson buffer but I’m unfamiliar with those.

I know if something happens to the gun they’ll fix it under warranty as long as I’m shooting factory ammo (which I will be), but I’d rather avoid that if possible.
View Quote

Dude, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-thinking this thing.

All factory guns are set-up to shoot moderately light to heavy loads from commercial mfgrs. Some owners (like me) will skip the light loads & bump up the recoil spring by a couple of lbs to prevent long-term battering. Some prefer lighter loads & will swap in a slightly lower recoil spring to facilitate operation.

Given the level of ammo availability right now, *I* would just buy whatever was out there & shoot the thing. As you progress through your ammo stash of various brands & loads, you can note which ones work well with your particular gun & (most importantly) which ones don't.

There's virtually no chance at all normal factory ammo would harm your gun in any way, shape or form. Obviously you need to do your part with cleaning, lube, proper grip, etc. Load that sucker & shoot the thing!!!!

For the record, I don't believe there's such a thing as 10mm +P or +P+ ammo. Having said that, velocity, weight & loads are all over the place in 10mm. Some are definitely in the .40S&W loading level, some are where they should be for 10mm. You'll feel the difference in recoil as well as see it if you shoot steel plates.

The chick at Springfield did the right thing as ammo options are all over the place. She has about as much chance of telling you what to use as she does in winning the lottery.

For the record, my 10mm ammo of choice is from GA Arms. In normal times, they're the most affordable AND reliable. Good folks too, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1911 is a delta elite same deal switched tk a 22 lbs spring and solid guide rod.
The cheap pastic colt thing was just that, cheap.

Other then a heavier spring no other advice. The colt has shot all factory ammo and my reloads no problem.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m going to call Dawson Monday and order some springs and see what I need to do to convert it to a full length guide rod as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What is racking the slide like with a 22lb recoil spring?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is racking the slide like with a 22lb recoil spring?
View Quote

I have a 22lbs recoil spring in my 10mm Witness. I have to cock the hammer to rack the slide.  But the Witness (CZ clone) also has much less exposed slide to grip, which makes it tougher (see below). It would be somewhat easier with a 1911, but still strenuous.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a 22lbs recoil spring in my 10mm Witness. I have to cock the hammer to rack the slide.  But the Witness (CZ clone) also has much less exposed slide to grip, which makes it tougher (see below). It would be somewhat easier with a 1911, but still strenuous.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31480/IMG_0731-1120196.jpg
View Quote

I'm well familiar with Tanfoglios, I own/have owned numerous Stock IIs, IIIs, Limited Customs.  

I've only gone up to 20lb in them and have no trouble but my hands do get eaten up from the hard pressure and sharp serrations.  Thats what made me wonder about 22 but more real estate in a 1911.

I guess at minimum it would make the gun "wife proof".
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm well familiar with Tanfoglios, I own/have owned numerous Stock IIs, IIIs, Limited Customs.  

I've only gone up to 20lb in them and have no trouble but my hands to get eaten up from the hard pressure and sharp serrations.  Thats what made me wonder about 22 but more real estate in a 1911.

I guess at minimum it would make the gun "wife proof".
View Quote

Eat your wheaties and you will be fine. A 1911 with a 22lb recoil spring makes the slide action feel more solid. More real estate to grab on the slide makes manipulating it easy to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top