Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2022 1:05:45 PM EDT
Trying to decide on these two lights.  Do I really need 1k lumens or will 500 cut it?

ETA- Lights will be on a home defense pistol and other pistol will be OWB only.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a X300 on my home defense gun, TLR7 on my carry gun.

When Cloud Defensive releases their lights, it will replace my X300.

I carry the TLR7A because with the X300 the extra length of the light would make it uncomfortable to carry. I carry a Glock 45 AIWB
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just replaced my TLR-1s with a TLR-1 HL.  No regrets.   It's a noticeable difference from 300 to 1000 lumens.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
TRL 1 HL if I'm using it for HD or not worried about hiding it (battle belt)
TRL 7 on my carry stuff. Yeah 1000>500 lumens but the 1 is too fat for my 365 or to stuff inside my pants.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've run TLR-1's for a long time, so I have an investment in Holsters for that light.

you might try a light of the two strengths inside your house - sometimes "more" isn't "much more" in the Real World.

insides of most homes are very light (reflective) colors, so bear in mind the difference in candlepower may not directly translate to "more" = better...

For a Smaller Carry Pistol, the TLR-7 is certainly a better match in the form - size factor.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
TLR-1HL for general/range use pistols.

TLR-7 for daily AIWB carry. It’s flush on a G19. I wouldn’t be  able to comfortably carry a TLR-1 or X300 because it protrudes to much.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking the TLR-7 is the way to go, easier to carry and doesn't wash out a red dot like the 1k lumen TLR-1 does.  500 lumens is plenty, especially inside.  

Remember when lights were 60 lumens and 120 lumens was high?  Lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two TLR-1 lights, first was a black friday sale, second was free.  I bought a TLR-7A to fit flush on the G19, and to fit in a particular holster.  I will probably get one more TLR-7A.

I bought the TLR-7A the instant I found that you could lock out the light.  I love that feature.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Carry guns get the TLR-7, the form factor just works better.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've run TLR-1's for a long time, so I have an investment in Holsters for that light.

you might try a light of the two strengths inside your house - sometimes "more" isn't "much more" in the Real World.

insides of most homes are very light (reflective) colors, so bear in mind the difference in candlepower may not directly translate to "more" = better...

For a Smaller Carry Pistol, the TLR-7 is certainly a better match in the form - size factor.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I too have an investment in Holsters for tlr-1 / x300

But I like tlr 8,6, and 3’s too and switched most to those.

Tlr-1’s Get pressure pads and carry over to long guns
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My old TLR-1 sits on my GGP17 by the computer and the TLR-7 sits on my FNS-9 in the nightstand.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I AIWB carry either a TLR-7A equipped 17 or 19 in a T1C axis elite holster.  I had originally tried AIWB with a X300 equipped 19, and just couldn't get it to work comfortably for me and my daily activities. After switching to the TLR-7A, I was able to comfortably AIWB carry both guns without issue. The TLR-7A has decent output, but the candela (throw) does leave something to be desired when going from an indoor setting to longer outdoor distances. This really shouldn't be of practical concern for an EDC pistol under most typical scenarios, but when I'm home and going to be walking our high acreage property in the evening I do switch to my other 17 that has a PL350 equipped.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
TLR7
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a TLR-7 on my EDC G19, carried in a Black Rhino OWB holster. I really like that combo for EDC since the light is very compact and bright enough for my use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered the TLR-7.  Thanks to all
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ordered the TLR-7.  Thanks to all
View Quote

-
I really like the -7a that lives on my G19 and also own the -1 which lives on my G17.  I want to get my hands on a TLR-9 but holsters are not as widely available as I would like yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Buying new, I'd get the 7.  I've already got a handful of TLR-1s and holsters for the them and haven't felt the need to upgrade.  I'm used to them on my rifle as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
As bright of a light as you can carry comfortably.

I am in the all the lumens camp.

Mixed lighting like street lights, porch lights, and car lights throw a lot of hard shadows that a weak light won’t get into.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on what gun it’s being used on.

On my Glock 45 I use the Tlr-7a because it sits flush with the muzzle and doesn’t make my holster longer than necessary.

On my P320 full-size I use the TLR-1 for the same reason. It’s close to flush with the muzzle.

Both are my duty weapons so it makes a huge difference when sitting in a patrol car.

For your application I would go with the TLR-1 since it doesn’t seem like that will be a concern for you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Depends on what gun it’s being used on.

On my Glock 45 I use the Tlr-7a because it sits flush with the muzzle and doesn’t make my holster longer than necessary.

On my P320 full-size I use the TLR-1 for the same reason. It’s close to flush with the muzzle.

Both are my duty weapons so it makes a huge difference when sitting in a patrol car.

For your application I would go with the TLR-1 since it doesn’t seem like that will be a concern for you.
View Quote

You need to get Safariland vubl.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
TLR1s. Got em cheap at GT Dist.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

VUBL?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

VUBL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VUBL?

It's an easily adjustable drop plate- push the button and you can position the holster at, IIRC, three different heights.  I can't imagine an officer adjusting their holster every time they get in and out of their vehicle.

Here; there's a short video showing it:
https://safariland.com/products/vubl-vertical-belt-loop-vubl
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Big fan of the TLR-1HL. Carry one on my duty G17. Was so pleased with it, I bought one for my duty AR.

Works great, controls are easy to use.  Have actually used the strobe when I unexpectedly ran across someone in a house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top