Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 12:32:34 AM EDT
I’m looking to pickup a SIG SAN 553P.   Before I order one through JDI I’d like to hear some thoughts from owners on the 55x platform.  I have never handled one and was just introduced to this specific model.  I would unfortunately have to leave it in Pistol form due to my Anti-2A state.

Is it worth the coin?

Pic for reference

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The Apex on the Krinkov evolution!  Buy it and never look back!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
The Apex on the Krinkov evolution!  Buy it and never look back!
View Quote

That’s what I’ve heard so far.  
Any reliability issues with these?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Boxer4u:

That’s what I’ve heard so far.  
Any reliability issues with these?
View Quote

The US versions had all sort of issues.  The SAN ones should be fine, kinda tempted myself.

Also you might want to get a port buffer or some tape to put behind the ejection port.  The finish will quickly be obliterated in that area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
That's sweet. I had no idea they were importing actual swiss made models. That is tempting
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
That's sweet. I had no idea they were importing actual swiss made models. That is tempting
View Quote

Yes tempting to say the least.  However, they start at $3250.  Mags are $65+
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Boxer4u:

Yes tempting to say the least.  However, they start at $3250.  Mags are $65+
View Quote

lol - yeah and I would want at least 6 mags plus shipping, transfer fee, $200 tax stamp ('cause I would have to SBR it), engraving costs and $300+ for a factory folding stock. I'd be way over $4k said and done. That's why I said "temping" and not, "I just ordered one"

It is cool but I'm not sure its THAT cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a SIG SAN 552 that I got years ago from the guns released by the North Carolina ALE that I SBRed.

Its a neat gun and mine has never given me any issues.  Granted its not a high volume shooter either.

Was it worth the $2500-ish I paid for it....sure as it was a rare gun I always wanted but was not really ever available on the open market.  Does it really do much of anything better than a Colt AR SBR, not really, but that not the reason I bought it.

They are nice guns built to a manufacturing quality that the US Sig 55x guns never really measured up to.  If you have the funds I would recommend adding one to your collection as one day they may not be available.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent fun gun. If you're going to suppress it make sure to get the 4 position gas valve. makes it much more pleasant to shoot and less recoil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I just placed an order for one, now the wait begins!  

For those that are keeping this a pistol, which folding adapter are you using?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
How long was the delivery estimate for? I’ve been thinking about a 553 long barrel to go with my 553 Sb, but I think I’ll get a conversion upper and finish it with the parts I already have if I go that route
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I went for the railed upper build which takes roughly 90 days.  The diopter build takes 180 days
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 1913 adapter (yeah, 556 to mcx conversion plate) that I'm interested in running a telescoping brace with. I'm strongly thinking about SBRing mine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Its a nice Ak.

Is it worth it?  All depends, people spend tens of thousands on double barrel shotguns.  Its Swiss, its somewhat rare, so it will retain its value but in terms of how it compares to modern guns, its pretty much outclassed by things in its price point.

I think 10.5 is as low as I would personally go with a 556 so when thinking about something with a 9 inch barrel, I start to feel as if there are better tools for that job.

Great Iconic weapon if its something that you are interested in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its a nice Ak.

Is it worth it?  All depends, people spend tens of thousands on double barrel shotguns.  Its Swiss, its somewhat rare, so it will retain its value but in terms of how it compares to modern guns, its pretty much outclassed by things in its price point.

I think 10.5 is as low as I would personally go with a 556 so when thinking about something with a 9 inch barrel, I start to feel as if there are better tools for that job.

Great Iconic weapon if its something that you are interested in.
View Quote

That’s kind of how I felt.  I think I would want one 16” or longer. For something much more practical and short and Swiss is go APC-9 (or TP-9 if you want ridiculously short) which costs half what these do and suppress nicely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
It's one of my grail guns.

I can understand people who look at this from a practicality standpoint and use good reason to not get one. Sure it is over-priced and probably under-powered compared to more practical options in today's standards. I stipulate that most guys considering the Sig 553P already have the practical side covered. So this leaves only the desire for something more exclusive, beautiful, with a side of some practicality (like I can shoot the damn thing and get OK results).

Get enough of a collection, the practicality goes out the door and desire takes over.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I put together a USA based 556 SBR. Proper Swiss stock. Handguards to make it a 552.
Two issues -
Overgased. Corrected with a new 4 position gas block.

Broken charging handle retaining clip. I was using an aftermarket charging handle. Sig repaired It at no charge with a week.

Great with a suppressor.
Great trigger for a factory rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's one of my grail guns.

I can understand people who look at this from a practicality standpoint and use good reason to not get one. Sure it is over-priced and probably under-powered compared to more practical options in today's standards. I stipulate that most guys considering the Sig 553P already have the practical side covered. So this leaves only the desire for something more exclusive, beautiful, with a side of some practicality (like I can shoot the damn thing and get OK results).

Get enough of a collection, the practicality goes out the door and desire takes over.
View Quote

The ability for humans to be incredibly myopic is extraordinary.

I bet you could walk through the house of people who deride the idea of buying one of these because it's not the "best gun ever" and find dozens of examples where they compromised on the quality/practicality of something and got a different version simply because they liked it better but as soon as it's an issue they don't care about, value suddenly becomes an objective idea.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link to purchase?  Can’t find it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Link to purchase?  Can’t find it.
View Quote

You’ll have to email Dave from JDI.  He can send you the order form
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Sexy as hell but I’ll pass at that price point in the current economy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 16" 751 that I actually shoot, so not exactly the same but close-ish. What are your specific questions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top