Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2022 3:31:32 PM EDT
What's your favorite?  I don't care if the holster itself is made from leather (prefered), kydex, or another material but it needs to have flexible loop(s).
Share your experiences, good OR bad, please!
So far, my favorite is the Milt Sparks SS2.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the original Summer Special. I had a Galco Royal Guard years ago. It had quite a bit more cant and tended to flop around with a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had two Milt Sparks SSII’s and really like them. My only complaint is with the pull-the-dot snaps and size of their 1.5” wide snap loops. I know how the pull-the-dot snaps work, in fact they work great on my TTGunleather “Mike’s Special” holster, but they’re finicky on my Milt Sparks SSII’s, at least on mine. Also, I had to replace the Milt Sparks 1.5” wide snap loops with their 1.75” loops because they wouldn’t fit over a few of my thicker gun belts. But the holsters themselves are very high quality and looks like they’ll last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one SSll and love it. Very comfortable.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve had two Milt Sparks SSII’s and really like them. My only complaint is with the pull-the-dot snaps and size of their 1.5” wide snap loops. I know how the pull-the-dot snaps work, in fact they work great on my TTGunleather “Mike’s Special” holster, but they’re finicky on my Milt Sparks SSII’s, at least on mine. Also, I had to replace the Milt Sparks 1.5” wide snap loops with their 1.75” loops because they wouldn’t fit over a few of my thicker gun belts. But the holsters themselves are very high quality and looks like they’ll last a lifetime.
View Quote

Mine were rather finicky and hard to use at first but have become easier the more l used them.  Kinda like they needed to be broke in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've had two Milt Sparks SSII's and really like them. My only complaint is with the pull-the-dot snaps and size of their 1.5" wide snap loops. I know how the pull-the-dot snaps work, in fact they work great on my TTGunleather "Mike's Special" holster, but they're finicky on my Milt Sparks SSII's, at least on mine. Also, I had to replace the Milt Sparks 1.5" wide snap loops with their 1.75" loops because they wouldn't fit over a few of my thicker gun belts. But the holsters themselves are very high quality and looks like they'll last a lifetime.
View Quote
Same thing here.  I couldn't even get the 1.5" to snap on my DalTech and Kore 1.5" belts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're set on a leather holster with soft loops, I'd consider the VMII instead. The spread loops make the holster more stable because the weight is spread over a wider area and more concealable since the loops aren't stacked on top of the gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're set on a leather holster with soft loops, I'd consider the VMII instead. The spread loops make the holster more stable because the weight is spread over a wider area and more concealable since the loops aren't stacked on top of the gun.
View Quote
I do have a VMII for my Kimber Compact CDP as well as an old Kydex Blade-Tech SS type.  
I have an SS2 for a full-size Gov't model and another for a G19.5.  I honestly think they are equal in comfort and concealability (with my build and my clothing, YMMV).
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I hear tell Bruce Nelson's original design was worn AIWB, doing UC work.

So for me, JMCK AIWB, fixed soft loops.  G19.  'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
JM Custom Kydex IWB 3 with pull the dot loops is pretty much a kydex Summer Special 2. I've switched over to them for all my guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
JM Custom Kydex IWB 3 with pull the dot loops is pretty much a kydex Summer Special 2. I've switched over to them for all my guns.
View Quote
I thought so too, so I ordered one of these last weekend for my Hellcat OSP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the single loop/snap that Bruce Nelson used for J & K frame revolvers. The one single loop was enough to position it and keep the holster in place and because it was toward the rear - over the trigger it did not add bulk like one does over a cylinder or over a slide on a semi auto.

Link to  J clips from Vetter Holsters   These can be a useful addition to some holsters particularly those used for appendix carry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently got this Summer Special style IWB “Charlie” holster from Ingle Gun Leather that uses a DCC monoblock clip.

https://inglegunleather.com/holsters

I know most argue that clips, especially some of the thinner or narrower plastic ones can result in belt retention issues. But these so far appear to be really strong and effective as far as belt retention goes. I guess time will tell how the DCC clips hold up, but I thought it might be a good alternative to the snap loops.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a Summer Special II for a Commander and a Summer Special for a Government. I think I prefer the 2 but I’ve also got more time carrying it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have a Summer Special II for a Commander and a Summer Special for a Government. I think I prefer the 2 but I’ve also got more time carrying it.
View Quote

I don’t have a regular Summer Special, just the SSII. I don’t know all the differences between them, but I believe one of the differences is that the SSII has a sweat shield while the original doesn’t. I could be wrong about that, though. Even so, I much prefer a sweat shield, especially where I live here in Texas where it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer time. I tend to sweat a lot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
I've been using one for over a year now for my glock 19.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don’t have a regular Summer Special, just the SSII. I don’t know all the differences between them, but I believe one of the differences is that the SSII has a sweat shield while the original doesn’t. I could be wrong about that, though. Even so, I much prefer a sweat shield, especially where I live here in Texas where it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer time. I tend to sweat a lot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Less Cant lack of sweat shield single loop on some models which mine is that I like. Also not replaceable loops, less wing to help with twisting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top