Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 11:10:11 PM EDT
I have wanted a Model 27 for as long as I have wanted a revolver. Every example I have found I person up to this point was either extremely rough or pristine and belonged in the hands of a collector. I shoot a lot and wanted one I could lovingly shoot and carry.

I went into a gun store I have never been in and they randomly had taken in a large collection of S&W Revolvers they had just taken in. I checked each one and many were very freckled or just rough. It pained me to see the state some were in. I passed on the ones that had seen better days. The last one I checked was a Model 27-2 that was just amazingly minty compared to the others. All of the others were over priced but this one was at market price. My only concern was if it had been refinished so I checked it over and based on what I could see - it seemed original enough and deep blue enough for me.

This thing really seems to be a shot little(or never) and safe queen 27-2. There was no box to be had but I bought it on the spot. No way in hell am I letting another one slip through my fingers.

The serial makes it built in 1980 based on what I've found on S&W forums.  Seems like based on the build date - the case hardened trigger and hammer are factory. Only thing I wished it has was the red ramp front sight.

Before I go and add a front sight insert and throw this in a holster to give it some honest wear  - just want to triple check I am not ruining a super rare or collectible variant - please correct me if my assessment of " great high end shooter" is incorrect.

27-2 Photo
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. How can you tell it was refinished?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell tale signs of refinish will be most evident on the side of the gun you didn’t show- the side plate side. Dishing out of the screw holes, hazy trade mark logo and a seam gap on the side plate are what you want to look for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
A 4" p&r 27 is fairly rare.
I personally would try to live with some orange fingernail polish front sight first before swapping the front sight
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice revolver OP. I had a similar experience with finding a 3.5" pre-27. Mine had already been refinished once, been red ramped, and left for dead.

I had her refinished and worked over by somebody competent. Good shooter and presents nicely but, never going to be a collector piece.

Enjoy your new Smith
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
She sure is purdy. Congrats on the find. Very classy revolver.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice!  Beautiful pistol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 4" p&r 27 is fairly rare.
I personally would try to live with some orange fingernail polish front sight first before swapping the front sight
View Quote

I second this. Degrease the front sight, put a cot or two of white, then a few coats of orange, then a few coats of clear. I did this to my model 65 and it works great.

If you don't like it, it comes off using some acetone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ll grab some pics of the other side tomorrow. The only reason I had to believe it was refinished - there is a slight nick on the front blade - it is perfectly black inside - it also didn’t look like permablue. The roll marks look crisp to me and I didn’t see any other indications.

I’ll kick around the idea of the nail paint before sending it off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Great find and congratulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top