Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2019 4:26:21 PM EDT
I was at the range today, having a good day.  Between magazines, I noticed this pin had drifted out.  When I first saw it, it was more than twice this far out. "Well that's not good," I thought to myself.

I drifted it back in with a screwdriver, tapping on the handle with the palm of my hand.  Three magazines more and this is how far it had come back out again.

Attachment Attached File

I'm just wondering if this is enough to warrant a warranty claim.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would at least contact them as they may send you a new part. I would not buy a Taurus with their reputation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a roll pin.  Expand it with a small nail and pound it back in
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If you try to send it you might be charged for the shipping label, and don't be surprised if they hold it for 16 weeks just to do 5 minutes of work.

"You have to send it in, that's a gunsmith only part"
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a roll pin.  Expand it with a small nail and pound it back in
View Quote
I was thinking about driving it out far enough to get some loctite in the center and then pushing it back in again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was thinking about driving it out far enough to get some loctite in the center and then pushing it back in again.
View Quote
That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive out the pin and slightly flare both ends by driving a pointed punch into the holes. Chamfer the flared ends a little. Reinstall and see if that fixes it. If that fails, go to your nearest Hardware store, (not Home Desperate) and buy a couple of the next larger diameter roll pins. Smallest increments you can get. Caliper helps here. Try each of them by installing and shooting them. Get back to me if that doesn't work.

And if you decide this is too big an issue for you, let me know and I'll buy it from you.

p.s. I have fixed Glocks and some S&W polymer framed guns with the same problem. It happens in this day and age, and isn't worth a CS trip to Taurus.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drive out the pin and slightly flare both ends by driving a pointed punch into the holes. Chamfer the flared ends a little. Reinstall and see if that fixes it. If that fails, go to your nearest Hardware store, (not Home Desperate) and buy a couple of the next larger diameter roll pins. Smallest increments you can get. Caliper helps here. Try each of them by installing and shooting them. Get back to me if that doesn't work.

And if you decide this is too big an issue for you, let me know and I'll buy it from you.

p.s. I have fixed Glocks and some S&W polymer framed guns with the same problem. It happens in this day and age, and isn't worth a CS trip to Taurus.
View Quote
No go on the Loctite idea then?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a fan of Loctite anywhere near the operating mechanism of my guns. Loctite is designed to work with threaded metal items. The pins in firearms are designed to work via FRICTION between the pin and the surrounding material. It the pin is migrating out, then you don"t have an optimal friction fit. Loctite, imo is a bandaid where a stitch is needed. Its fine when used as it was intended, elsewise no.

@ceetee
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of Loctite anywhere near the operating mechanism of my guns. Loctite is designed to work with threaded metal items. The pins in firearms are designed to work via FRICTION between the pin and the surrounding material. It the pin is migrating out, then you don"t have an optimal friction fit. Loctite, imo is a bandaid where a stitch is needed. Its fine when used as it was intended, elsewise no.

@ceetee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ceetee
Makes perfect sense.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that pin holds the locking block, there's really no reason to ever need to take it out.

I would push it back into place and try to peen both ends a little. It shouldn't take much of a flare to keep it in place.

...or Super Glue.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the others. You could use an awl and expand the pin on both sides by tapping it gently. Larger pins might make it difficult to install on the internal parts unless you take them out and re-drill the holes but then you are asking for more problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top