Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2021 9:33:58 PM EDT
Anyone with a PX4 mind measuring the sight dovetail widths?

I picked up a Stoeger Cougar and wanted to see if PX4 sights would fit on it. I know Trijicon makes basic night sights for the Beretta 8000 series but I really want to use their HD sights.

The Cougar rear width is .310" and is the same as a Beretta 92FS. The front is .210".

The Cougar, just picked it up and it was unfired. Fired a few rounds through it today and it shoots good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not possible to measure the slide dovetail or the male dovetail of the sight without removing the sight from the pistol.
I replaced the PX4 sights with Trijicon HDs.  Fitting was required for proper press fit with a sight pusher.
Remove - left to right; install - right to left.  If I hadn't thrown away the original sights, I would measure them for you.

In your case, buy Trijicon HDs and measure them.  If they are too small, return them.  If the dimension is larger, then you can fit them.
Every aftermarket sight that I installed on my handguns had to be fitted.

Very short, basic instruction on how to measure firearm dovetails:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Measuring_Dovetail_Slot_Dimensions.html
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So the Trijicon PX4 Compact sights fit the Stoeger Cougar perfect. Had to take a file on the front sight but the rear fit perfect. The front sight needs about 1/8" removed off each side, otherwise it overhangs the slide too much and looks like wings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Even though the PX4 sights are higher, the difference between the original front/rear and the PX4 front/rear is damn near the same. Haven't shot it yet but I think it will be good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You mention that the front sight needed removal of dovetail width (1/8") on each side.  
The specs of Trijicon HD front sights for PX4 full size are identical to PX4 Compact , as far as the height, length, and width of the post is concerned.
The only difference is the height of the rear sight.
Possibly, the dovetail width is greater in PX4 Compact. I haven't seen the PX4 Compact in person, so I don't know if the top of the slide is wider.

Below: PX4 full size with Trijicon HD front sight.  No overlap, and the width of dovetail seems to be same as on your
handgun, after the filing you did.  
I measured the width of the dovetail of the sight with calipers - .490".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mention that the front sight needed removal of dovetail width (1/8") on each side.  
The specs of Trijicon HD front sights for PX4 full size are identical to PX4 Compact , as far as the height, length, and width of the post is concerned.
The only difference is the height of the rear sight.
Possibly, the dovetail width is greater in PX4 Compact. I haven't seen the PX4 Compact in person, so I don't know if the top of the slide is wider.

Below: PX4 full size with Trijicon HD front sight.  No overlap, and the width of dovetail seems to be same as on your
handgun, after the filing you did.  
I measured the width of the dovetail of the sight with calipers - .490".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100207/IMG_2447X_jpg-1875931.JPG
View Quote

Ha! Mine is 1/2" wide now, so the front would work perfect. The rear sights are different between the compact and full size. I chose the compact because they have similar barrel lengths as the cougar.

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Also installed a Beretta 92 checkered Magazine release as well as the Beretta 92 elite hammer and px4/8000 D-spring.

Attachment Attached File

Got to get out and shoot it again

So the Stoeger Cougar 9mm can use Beretta 92 hammer and magazine release. It can use px4 compact sights with modification and a px4 D-spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top