Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 10:25:23 PM EDT
Is it okay to shoot Tula steel case 9 MM in my VP 9?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
OK.  I give.  Why would you want to shoot cheap ass Tula steel case ammo in an H&K pistol?

You could have bought yourself a cheap SIG, Springfield, or Ruger to screw up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot a bit of steel cased ammo through a VP9.  I consistently get failure-to-extract malfunctions with it (maybe 5 out of 100), and I'm pretty sure it is because of the stepped chamber in the VP9.  It's obviously not going to hurt the gun or anything, but you can probably expect it to not run 100%.  It's a shame, though, as the Tula 115 is surprisingly accurate out of my VP9s.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard pass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK.  I give.  Why would you want to shoot cheap ass Tula steel case ammo in an H&K pistol?

View Quote

Have you looked inside a vp9?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If this was a certain HK forum, right now you would be drowned in "stop being poor" replies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't realize VP9s were so fancy. Anyone shooting a lot will spend more than the cost of the firearm pretty quickly, especially these days. Steel vs. brass can be a huge savings and allow for a lot more shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't use steel-cased ammo to break in an HK pistol. Once it's broken in, steel-cased is fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot a good bit of steel cased ammo through a VP9, worked fine, except there have been a handful of times I've had to push the slide forward because it didn't fully go into battery.

Tried steel cased ammo in  P30 once.  Won't do that again.  Had a case get stuck and wouldn't eject from the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
In any gun, you can shoot some steel case ammo but I wouldn't make a habit of it, as it is usually not well made and rough on extractors. Unfortunately, in this day and age where all you can get is steel cased ammo,(when you can get ammo), use what you can but be sure to clean your gun after shooting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a gen3 Glock 17 with so much steel-case Wolf & Tula through it, I have lost count. For a while I swore I would not clean it until it failed but after 4K, I just cleaned it and replaced the recoil spring out of boredom. I even have a new Extractor waiting for failure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because ammo is hard to come by and sometimes steal case might be the only thing available.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It should be able to run steel case no issue. It’s an H&K, not some tuned $$$ 1911.

I have no qualms running steel case in my USP Tac, and that gun better damn sure run it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
My vp9t hates steel. Consistently gets Cades stuck in the chamber. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
First thing I did with my new VP9 was to dispose of all the odds & sods ammo I had hanging around. About 300 rounds later (including various JHPs and steel case) I had zero malfunctions and a dirty pistol.

The cost savings of one case of steel* vs brass will most likely pay for a new extractor, if you even can find any ammo right now. By the time accelerated wear from cheap ammo trashes the extractor, firing pin, and barrel you've most likely saved enough to swap all three out with new.

AJ

*Pre-plague prices. At this point be happy to find any ammo that's actually in stock.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot the Winchester "Forged" steel case ammo in every 9mm I own. with no problems. I scored some awesome prices on a bunch of it when Walmart was clearing out the naughty ammo. It's so nice to just use a magnet for clean up after a day of running and gunning at the range.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I am sure the Russians and a lot of other eastern bloc countries have shot tons with minimum problems. I have shot my fair share of wolf, golden bear, Tula, etc with few to mention issues. It is all for range use not EDC self defense ammo. Just my opinion, not a paid ad for afore mentioned brands. ??
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top