Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2022 8:44:22 PM EDT
What is the hives opinion on the value of an sp5 that has been made a sbr?
Would it decrease or increase?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't think it would increase more than the value of the stock and stamp if that, imo. I wouldn't pay any more for it based on the ease of the form 1. Buyer still has to go through the aft bs regardless.
Ymmv
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
All it means is a longer wait. A much longer wait. I would buy the pistol and SBR it on a form 1.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m curious as to what happens should I sbr it.  I know it’s easier to sell as a pistol.  But once you sbr it there’s no going back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious as to what happens should I sbr it.  I know it's easier to sell as a pistol.  But once you sbr it there's no going back.
View Quote
I thought you could return it to pistol configuration, contact the BATFE, have them remove it from the registry, and then sell it as a pistol again?
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought you could return it to pistol configuration, contact the BATFE, have them remove it from the registry, and then sell it as a pistol again?
View Quote

I was told no, not by atf but Gun store owner that makes class 3 stuff.  Rifles can be converted back though
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was told no, not by atf but Gun store owner that makes class 3 stuff.  Rifles can be converted back though
View Quote

They're wrong.

And no one is going to want to buy a gun with your information engraved on the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say it lowers the value, just because the market of interested buyers is going to be pretty small.

Generally if you Form 1 something, consider it a lifetime commitment. Yeah, you can return it to non-SBR configuration and sell it, but you lose the $200 you spent on the tax stamp.

And personally, I don't see the point in buying a used F1 gun. Why wait for an F4 when I can just buy the pistol and get the F1 approved so much faster? Ok, I might possibly be interested in it if it's not being sold as an SBR and the price was right, but I really wouldn't want somebody else's engraving on there since I'd have to get it engraved with my info. So for me it'd have to be a price too good to pass up.

Used F1 stuff is usually hard to sell because of this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The gun store is wrong, it can be removed from the registry.

Others are correct, it will lower the value.

fmj_shooter is correct, nobody wants "Joe Bob's Gunz" engraved on their $3000 collectible.

I wouldn't SBR one that I wasn't 100% sure I planned to estate to my next-of-kin.  As a gun community, we know how those "I'm 100% doing this forever" resolution pan out ...
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you.  For the replies.  My biggest hurdle in sbring the sp5  is the ability to sell it later
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you.  For the replies.  My biggest hurdle in sbring the sp5  is the ability to sell it later
View Quote

why would you want to sell it  

my SBR'ed SP5 is my most fun gun to shoot I have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I get older, I can see myself thinning my collection
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You can remove a F1 pistol from the registry as long as you return it to a pistol configuration. I’ve de-registered items before. As far as engraving markings, you can get the smallest font and lightest depth in an inconspicuous place such as the rail wells or below the rear sight tower and it’s not a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn’t SBR it if your concern down the road is losing value from having it engraved. In my experience, it’s definitely a hit in value, not to mention braces nowadays are good enough, if they don’t look the part.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As I get older, I can see myself thinning my collection
View Quote
Do you not have kids? My son is on my trust so when I die, he automatically gets all my class 3 stuff but anyway...

If you buy a new SP5 today, SBR it, engrave it and then in 6 months to a year you change your mind then yes, you are probably going to loose some money on it (especially if you overpaid on the initial purchase).

But...

If you buy a new SP5 today (for the right price), SBR it, engrave it and then in 5-10 years you change your mind, you probably aren't going to loose a dime and may even make a few bucks?

The SP5 came out in 2019 with an MSRP of $2799 and could be found initially ~$2400-$2500. Now, less then 3 years later MSRP is $3279 and $3k is about as good as you're likely going to find a NIB SP5 for now. So lets pretend you bought one in 2019 for $2500 and SBR'ed/engraved it and now wanted to sell it. Engraved or not, I'm sure someone would still buy it today for ~$2700-$2800 (assuming its still in excellent condition) so even after the wasted $200 tax stamp, you would still walk away even at worst.

ETA. If Biden bans all imports or HK discontinues them the prices will really skyrocket and it wouldn't matter if you painted pink elephants on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you not have kids? My son is on my trust so when I die, he automatically gets all my class 3 stuff but anyway...

If you buy a new SP5 today, SBR it, engrave it and then in 6 months to a year you change your mind then yes, you are probably going to loose some money on it (especially if you overpaid on the initial purchase).

But...

If you buy a new SP5 today (for the right price), SBR it, engrave it and then in 5-10 years you change your mind, you probably aren't going to loose a dime and may even make a few bucks?

The SP5 came out in 2019 with an MSRP of $2799 and could be found initially ~$2400-$2500. Now, less then 3 years later MSRP is $3279 and $3k is about as good as you're likely going to find a NIB SP5 for now. So lets pretend you bought one in 2019 for $2500 and SBR'ed/engraved it and now wanted to sell it. Engraved or not, I'm sure someone would still buy it today for ~$2700-$2800 (assuming its still in excellent condition) so even after the wasted $200 tax stamp, you would still walk away even at worst.

ETA. If Biden bans all imports or HK discontinues them the prices will really skyrocket and it wouldn't matter if you painted pink elephants on it.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Lower the value. Now it’s a really really log. Wait to transfer it and it’s going to have someone else’s name or trust info engraved on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Engrave the barrel instead of the receiver would be a wise choice if you chose to sell down the road.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Could you engrave on the rails under the stock?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Could you engrave on the rails under the stock?
View Quote

Mine is engraved on the rail slot and is barely noticeable.  When the a3 stock is collapsed it’s not visible.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The gun store is wrong, it can be removed from the registry.

Others are correct, it will lower the value.

fmj_shooter is correct, nobody wants "Joe Bob's Gunz" engraved on their $3000 collectible.

I wouldn't SBR one that I wasn't 100% sure I planned to estate to my next-of-kin.  As a gun community, we know how those "I'm 100% doing this forever" resolution pan out ...
View Quote

I did, but I don't buy guns to collect them.  I shoot the piss out of my SP5K and don't care about the previous owners info.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#21]
What's the law regarding engraving for SBR's? I believe engraving is only for Trusts, not for individual SBR's. So if the user doesn't have a Trust, no engraving, correct?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the law regarding engraving for SBR's? I believe engraving is only for Trusts, not for individual SBR's. So if the user doesn't have a Trust, no engraving, correct?
View Quote
No. ALL SBR's have to be engraved. At least Form 1 SBR's. Not sure about factory SBR's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No. ALL SBR's have to be engraved. At least Form 1 SBR's. Not sure about factory SBR's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory SBRs do not require additional engraving.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Factory SBRs do not require additional engraving.
View Quote

All SBR's have to be engraved with the manufacture's name and location. "Factory SBR's" already have that info engraved so no additional engraving is required but if you are going to build your own SBR via the Form1 process, you are now the manufacturer of the SBR. If you do it as a trust, the trust name must be engraved. If you do it as an individual then your name must be engraved.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top