Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2023 9:19:31 AM EDT
I have always loved the looks of it since the first time I saw it and have been wanting one for years.
I love the styling myself. It is like a futuristic looking 92 series. I still love the original 92 styling and it is still one of the most iconic guns out there.
Seems these have fallen into the realm of a collectors item/curiosity.
I know they only made them for just a few years before discontinuing them.
Just always been curious why they never really caught on?  
Was it the styling? Was it too far away from the original lines and it turned people off? Was it the grips? Or what?
Curious to hear peoples opinions.

I saw one at a gun show a few months ago (first time I had ever seen one in the wild). I was talking to the guy about it and he said everyone that came by and saw it, wanted the buy "just the upper".
I thought that was really strange and he did too. But he swears that is all anyone wanted to buy. Just the slide and barrel.
I wanted the whole gun but did not have the cash at the time and gave him my number and told him to call me after the show if it did not sell. I never got the call, so obviously someone ended up buying it. Hopefully they did not part it out.
Is there a demand for just the slide/barrel? If so, why?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
They were about 20yrs too late with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and like it, especially with the slim grips. That said, I find the looks less appealing than the classic 92FS or 92A1 and have considered selling it to buy a M9A3. The grips are a bit more slick than would be ideal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:20:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
1) The thing is fucking huge, and heavy.
2) DA/SA semiautomatics fell out of favor with the advent of striker-fired pistols
3) Late 80s - early 90s was peak 92, thanks to Mel Gibson and Lethal Weapon. If anything, it only delayed the inevitable.
View Quote

I would ditch the thing for a new M9A3 or M9A4 in a heart beat.

Stupid Ca has coniptions over threaded barrel pistols but it us my first purchase if Saint Benetiz can kick the AW ban for us.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
FPNI

People bought the 92FS because they wanted what the police, military, and action movie stars were using.  They didn't buy a Beretta because they wanted a good gun.

Getting a good gun was just a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#8]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
FPNI

People bought the 92FS because they wanted what the police, military, and action movie stars were using.  They didn't buy a Beretta because they wanted a good gun.

Getting a good gun was just a bonus.
View Quote

I bought mine because it is an elegant looking gun with a slide that is slicker than greased dog snot.   I am quite accurate with it in single action.

Was my CCW for some years with Optimum mags.   The OD Green finish was taking some of a beating beyond what I wanted to see.  Swapped to a G23 because it has no sentimental value and is cheap replacable junk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mustb123] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mustb123:
I have to recuse myself. I like them.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/CCE5CC99-F0BF-4A8C-974B-1578303D808E-2870881.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking pistol. I remember these when they first came out, but I was not all that into Berettas at the time. Well, that changed several years ago. The 90-TWO is one Beretta that needs to be in my Beretta collection.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've owned 29 Beretta 92 variants over the past 30 years. I have owned two 90-Two models over the years...

The topic of the 90-Two has been discussed tons of times on the Beretta Forum...

One, the grip was too slick. That was my biggest problem with the gun. I even bought some grip tape cut into the shapes on the 90-Two grip, from someone on the Beretta Forum. But, they just didn't stick good enough....

Two - When the 90-Two came out, no one ever had the alternate grip module in stock. It was ALWAYS sold out - everywhere. Most people gave up on getting one. I know I did...

What is super ironic is that AFTER the gun was discontinued, and THEN you could easily find the grip module online.

And third - it was never an issue for me, but I have heard many people complain about the name. At the Beretta Forum it was called "the Dash" back in the day. Or, the 90-Dash-Two.... To differentiate it from the "92"
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Because they made the 94
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I so want one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am strictly a FS fan.

Can't stand the straight backstrap, light rail, none of that garbage that got added on. They're ugly as hell & don't fit my hand well.

Wouldn't take one if someone paid me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#15]
No holsters, and only produced for a short time

I had one and had several types of holsters custom made so I could carry it. Ended up selling it to family to purchase a M9A1.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I am an unabashed advocate and fanboi of the 92 series, particularly any G variant, along with several other Beretta products.

However, the 90-2 is freakin’ ugly lol. They didn’t offer enough functional upgrades to make me want one bad enough to deal with the goody sci-fi looks. I LOVE how the classic 92 looks and feels. The Dash? Not so much…
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I am actually just a tiny bit surprised at the disdain for them here.
I am also a big fan of the 92FS (love my old beat up police trade in). But have always love the looks of the 90-two since I first saw one.

I guess it is one of those guns you either love or hate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
2) DA/SA semiautomatics fell out of favor with the advent of striker-fired pistols
3) Late 80s - early 90s was peak 92, thanks to Mel Gibson and Lethal Weapon. If anything, it only delayed the inevitable.
View Quote

Points like a 2x4.  Or a Citori, same thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I’m in the camp of thinking the dash was cool.

Always wanted one since they came out. Never found one.

But if I had the means I would get all the 92s.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I wondered the same, or the 92 Combat too. Beretta has had several runs and opportunities to make some cool special editions or models but oh well.
Finally more modern offerings with the 92X line.
But anyone, I’ve always wanted a 90-Two as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
No holsters, and only produced for a short time

I had one and had several types of holsters custom made so I could carry it. Ended up selling it to family to purchase a M9A1.
View Quote

Safariland makes some.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Cons:
Expensive

Terrible ergonomics

Terrible trigger

87lbs 9mm pistol, when 9mm was weak sauce ammo

Lots of bad mags out there

Few accessories

Slide mounted safety

Made in Italy

Pros:
It makes a good club
It is very reliable, if you have good mags
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#23]
This is hitting like a GD thread.

If you think only striker guns are relevant, you’re probably just too poor to appreciate all kinds of pistols.

If you think weight in a full-size pistol is a bad thing, you’ve probably never practiced shooting with a timer.

If you think any 92 pistol is massive, you’ve probably never seen one in real life as they’re less than a quarter inch longer than a G17, with the G17 actually being taller.

The 90-Two failed because of its looks and lack of modularity with the existing 92 platform. I’d summarize the 92X as being their combined learnings from success and failure over the years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#24]
People wanted a 92/M9 with a rail.

They were not looking for a whole new stylistic gun,
With a fairly slick grip,
That is held on by a little nub of plastic vs more traditional grips,
And that also had a whole new design that lost previous frame/slide compatibility.

There were also issues with parts and accessories availability, etc.

At a time when Beretta had already ceased production on another line of pistols, the Cougar,
And also had dropped a horrible pistol on the market, the 9000.

It was not a gun people wanted, and they had been burned twice already by Beretta.

Oh, and the PX4 had been on the market a year or two - and had had some rollout issues.

So basically-  all people wanted was a typical 92/M9 with a rail.
The rotating barrel, non 92 magazine compatible Cougar had recently failed and been taken off the market,
The 9000 was a stylistic piece of crap with grip issues, ergonomic issues, and a recall, failed, and taken off the market,
The PX4 had a slick grip, a rotating barrel, a stylistic design, non 92 magazine compatibility, (all features of the two failed lines)  and some issues when first on the market-

So a new slick grip stylistic design - well, plus a totally stupid name-
Let alone some legacy parts compatibility issues-

Not a lot of people were open to it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
People wanted a 92/M9 with a rail.

They were not looking for a whole new stylistic gun,
With a fairly slick grip,
That is held on by a little nub of plastic vs more traditional grips,
And that also had a whole new design that lost previous frame/slide compatibility.

There were also issues with parts and accessories availability, etc.

At a time when Beretta had already ceased production on another line of pistols, the Cougar,
And also had dropped a horrible pistol on the market, the 9000.

It was not a gun people wanted, and they had been burned twice already by Beretta.

Oh, and the PX4 had been on the market a year or two - and had had some rollout issues.

So basically-  all people wanted was a typical 92/M9 with a rail.
The rotating barrel, non 92 magazine compatible Cougar had recently failed and been taken off the market,
The 9000 was a stylistic piece of crap with grip issues, ergonomic issues, and a recall, failed, and taken off the market,
The PX4 had a slick grip, a rotating barrel, a stylistic design, non 92 magazine compatibility, (all features of the two failed lines)  and some issues when first on the market-

So a new slick grip stylistic design - well, plus a totally stupid name-
Let alone some legacy parts compatibility issues-

Not a lot of people were open to it.
View Quote

Beretta has historical struggles with being tone deaf to the market. I’d be pretty comfortable saying the 92 series has survived as long as it has thanks to the merits of Wilson Combat and Ernest Langdon (with the recent resurgence being purely Langdon with their RDO system). If those two hadn’t supported it as well as they have over the last 10-15 years, I’m not sure where it would be today.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
For all the lovers and haters, here is my new to my 90-two. Just picked it up from my dealer today.

Been looking for the right one for a long time.
I would either find one in too rough of condition, missing the rail cover, or I did not have the money at the time.
I found this one and it is in almost new condition. Came with the original box, two mags, all the manuals, etc..
I gave it a good cleaning and lube, as it was bone dry. It looks like someone bought it, put one mag through it, then put it in storage for 17 years.
Hope tp shoot it soon, but the weather forecast is not looking good for this weekend (rain).
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
For all the lovers and haters, here is my new to my 90-two. Just picked it up from my dealer today.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53027467432_eaf70258cb_b.jpg

Been looking for the right one for a long time.
I would either find one in too rough of condition, missing the rail cover, or I did not have the money at the time.
I found this one and it is in almost new condition. Came with the original box, two mags, all the manuals, etc..
I gave it a good cleaning and lube, as it was bone dry. It looks like someone bought it, put one mag through it, then put it in storage for 17 years.
Hope tp shoot it soon, but the weather forecast is not looking good for this weekend (rain).
View Quote

Nice. Mine is missing the rail cover but I don’t particularly care for that feature.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:30:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#28]
View Quote

I don't understand why people continue to act like "striker fired" is an action type instead of the ignition type that it is. Striker guns can be DA/SA (like the P99 and its Canik clones), SAO, DAO, or something in between like Glock and its LEM/DAK hammer fired cousins. Regardless, the 92, CZ-75, and a few others remain fairly popular so I don't think the action type has to do with why it didn't seem to catch on.

I think the 90-two is pretty funky looking in a 2006 retro sort of way. It looks cool, but doesn't have the graceful and timeless styling of the regular 92 series.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]
When they came out, it seemed they were everywhere.  Maybe its because they never sold very well so always in stock.  Haven't seen a used one anywhere in like forever.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I love my 90-Two. I bought an xtra grip and stippled it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#31]
It never caught on because of the way it looks. It was to “out there“ design-wise when it hit the market. People wanted another 92FS externally, but with a rail, replaceable sights, and other modern amenities. But what they ended up getting was something that didn’t look anything like what they were used to. The lack of available grip modules didn’t help the matter and the plastic rail cover was bulky and pretty much useless and made holsters impossible. They didn’t give up on the design though and ended up re-introducing the gun as the 92A1 which has been a very successful pistol for them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By uglygun:

I bought mine because it is an elegant looking gun with a slide that is slicker than greased dog snot.   I am quite accurate with it in single action.

Was my CCW for some years with Optimum mags.   The OD Green finish was taking some of a beating beyond what I wanted to see.  Swapped to a G23 because it has no sentimental value and is cheap replacable junk.
View Quote

Bought it because I could
Shoot expert with it. 42/40 on the pistol range. 2 targets would pop up and if you leaned left you could
Headshot one and gut shoot the other with same bullet .(and with 9mm fmj issue ammo that is plausible too). Since scoring counted double double taps (2 head shots and 2 gut shots) it was a potential 42/40 score.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#33]
he said everyone that came by and saw it, wanted the buy "just the upper".
I thought that was really strange and he did too. But he swears that is all anyone wanted to buy. Just the slide and barrel.

View Quote

Maybe they had a 92 that needed a new slide?

'Few years ago I was in the offices of a major police equip. distributor and noticed them prepping a huge order of Glocks for a police dept. Invoice was for like $230k
On top of said invoice acting as a paperweight... The cracked slide of a '92.
'Guy told me the police dept. was trading back their 92s and replacing with Glock due to frequent slide breakage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SchlaffTablett:
It never caught on because of the way it looks. It was to “out there“ design-wise when it hit the market. People wanted another 92FS externally, but with a rail, replaceable sights, and other modern amenities. But what they ended up getting was something that didn’t look anything like what they were used to. The lack of available grip modules didn’t help the matter and the plastic rail cover was bulky and pretty much useless and made holsters impossible. They didn’t give up on the design though and ended up re-introducing the gun as the 92A1 which has been a very successful pistol for them.
View Quote

The looks is actually one of the things I like the most about it.
I actually like the semi sci-fi look it has, and like the rail cover. I saw a couple for sale missing the rail cover and passed on them, as it added a lot to the aesthetic of it (to me anyways)  
However I can perfectly understand other people not liking it. There are plenty of other guns on here other people love the looks, but I do not like the looks.
It is just "to each their own".
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:

'Few years ago I was in the offices of a major police equip. distributor and noticed them prepping a huge order of Glocks for a police dept. Invoice was for like $230k
'Guy told me the police dept. was trading back their 92s and replacing with Glock due to frequent slide breakage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
he said everyone that came by and saw it, wanted the buy "just the upper".

The only other gun that slide can even fit on is a 92A1. That and the 90-two use a different frame than all other 92 series pistols.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quite honestly, I never bought one because I already had 92's, 96's, and a PX4.  This did nothing those other pistols didn't.

This as a guy that actually bought a 9000S.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#38]
For a company with their history, Beretta doesn't put out alot of big winners
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By vpravada:
For a company with their history, Beretta doesn't put out alot of big winners
View Quote
Being in business for as long as they've been. They've done very well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZYoungGun] [#40]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
LOL, i still have a set of 9000s, both in  9mm. I'm not certain, but they may even be consecutive serial numbers. No shit.
View Quote

I, oddly, kind of want a 9000S, just to say I have one. I need a Cougar still, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:[/b]

I, oddly, kind of want a 9000S, just to say I have one. I need a Cougar still, too.
View Quote
9000S, no. Cougar, yes!

I should have purchased a Stoeger Cougar when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:

View Quote

I have a LNIB 9mm one. The rubber overmold has turned white and a bit chalky. I suppose that's not horrible though since most of the ones I've seen have started to turn to goo instead.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: McGruff1533] [#43]
I absolutely love my 92x Performance and 96 Compact Inox and 8040F Cougar.    They are unique pistols that have common lineage, but are different enough to be unique.

When the 90 Two was released, I thought it was the dumbest name ever.    Imagine going to a gun shop and asking to see a Beretta 92, and then having to explain you mean the 90 Two that spelled different.   Otherwise, the 90 Two was essentially a restyled 92 that did nothing different.

Someone at Beretta really needed to have their head examined for that marketing decision.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Especially considering Beretta did a poll on Berettaforum.net asking for suggestions before the thing was even introduced. I can't recall the winning name but I can tell you 100% 90-Two wasn't even on the list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top