Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2022 10:53:53 PM EDT
Was recently talking to a uncle, and found out he had a revolver he called a "Couger". Turns out, it was a Ruger Security Six that had the barrel swapped for a 8" Python barrel. He got it from a guy in a trade back in the late 90's.

He showed me a picture of it, looked pretty good (relatively, gun could use a new coat of blue or something, but otherwise.)

Anyways, did a bit of looking, but only found decade plus old forum topics, nothing really recent.

So I I figured to ask here.

Do people still do this? Does it have any real worthwhile purpose these days, or is it something you do because you decide, "fuck it, why not, its my money to waste..."
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard about it with a ruger before. But as the old saying goes “speed is money, how fast you want to go?”. I have seen a Smython before. As a matter of fact it is in our dps headquarters in a display case.

If you have the money, im sure you could find a smith that would do it for you. If you do it, please post pictures.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing an article in a gun magazine years ago, probably in the '70s. I think it was written by Bill Jordan. Anyways, they called it a "smolt". I believe it was a Python barrel on a Smith 19. That was before S&W made the L frame guns with the heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill Davis custom:

Also Bill Davis:

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Last year at Camp Perry during National Matches I purchased an old but new Colt King Cobra 6" stainless steel barrel ($100) on vendor row. Had intentions of adding it to a S&W or Ruger Security Six. I should of done this YEARS ago since finding today a used vintage Smith or Ruger at reasonable price is about zero. The cost of a firearm and then the gunsmithing you'd be better off buying a new Colt Python for that matter, which I don't presently want. Here's a magazine cover from 1979 showing what your looking for.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It was a thing back in the 70's.  Both Smiths and Rugers were converted.  When Smith came out with L frame with full lug barrel and Ruger did the same with the GP100 it sort of faded away.  Haven't seen one in years.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#6]
A few years at at a gunshow, I saw an 8".357 Colt Trooper MK111 barrel and bought it. One of these days I'll find someone to mount it, it should be fun gun when done.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
They were called a smolt or smython revolver...
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC... bullseye revolver shooters wanted the Python's barrel twist rate
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC... bullseye revolver shooters wanted the Python's barrel twist rate
View Quote

They also preferred the Smith's action.
Always liked the Smolt/Smython ,had a chance to buy in the past, wouldn't mind having in collection
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]

This one is mine
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Does it shoot as good as it looks?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does it shoot as good as it looks?
View Quote

It does.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my" Smolt", done by the old Cake-Davis company in the '70s when I was into PPC shooting. 6" Python barrel on a Model 19. I'm going to take off the scope and put the rear sight back on.

Attachment Attached File

Alex at Ten Ring near San Antonio will still do them, but they're not cheap.

https://tenring.com/revolver-accuracy-pkg/
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
These conversions were done for the PPC police matches. The general consensus was that Python barrels were more accurate than S&W or Ruger. Some people said that the bore on Pythons were actually slightly tapered a few thousands from forcing cone to muzzle, giving a better gas seal on the bullet. No idea if this was true or not, it would be very hard to machine a barrel this way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Bowen Classic Arms has done quite few Colt barrel swaps. Not sure if they’re still doing them or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top