Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2024 11:57:14 AM EDT
Was in my buddy's shop yesterday as he was pouring over several  bins of pistols he won at a police auction. One was full of Glocks so I poked around and found a G45 that appeared to have never been shot. It was pristine with the copper anti-sieze/lube still undisturbed on the slide. Zero trace of powder residue anywhere.
After some chatting he threw out a number and I jumped on it without hesitation.
Now I'm looking at one of the few pistols I own without a red dot and I aim to change that.

Where can I send it where I don't end up starting a whiny thread about shoddy machining? I'd prefer to not have to use a plate and have the irons co-witness.

Also, what are your opinions on how it should be finished? Is nitride the way to go? Cerakote?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good thread to thumb through to start, great info inside.
Red Dot Thread

Two of my favorites are JagerWerks and Maple Leaf and both have given me solid advice when I needed it or had a question. I'm sure there are others that are as good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Here’s one I got back yesterday from Battlewerx. Black nitride refinish. Took exactly 4 weeks from the day they received it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
This is a good thread to thumb through to start, great info inside.
Red Dot Thread

Two of my favorites are JagerWerks and Maple Leaf and both have given me solid advice when I needed it or had a question. I'm sure there are others that are as good.
View Quote

I'll start reading, thank you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Here’s one I got back yesterday from Battlewerx. Black nitride refinish. Took exactly 4 weeks from the day they received it.

View Quote

That looks great!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#5]
I sent my first pistol off to be milled and nitride coated back in December and I chose Jagerwerks. I know they have a reputation for being slow, but quality work. I've seen a lot of really bad gunsmithing work from so called "professionals", so I was really worried. Especially on something like a slide cut that's not repairable.

As nervous as I was, they did an excellent job. Everything is straight, the finish looks great for what I sent them, etc I'm very impressed with the work. It took approximately 9 weeks, but I was more than okay waiting that long for the quality of the work that I got.

Jagerwerks historically also seems to have large 4th of July and Black Friday sales if you don't mind waiting. I saved a significant amount by doing that.

I know there is a much faster company that's often talked about positively on Reddit. While most people had great experiences, I also saw a few posts complaining about the quality of the cuts. I decided I'd rather wait and not take that risk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I'm finding plenty of good reviews about Jager. I'm not in any hurry to have this done so I'm fine with some lead time. I'd much rather have it right, than right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had a reason to have a slide milled yet, but both of these companies below have reputations for good and fast work.

https://wagermachineworks.com/ is highly recommend in various Reddit subs, plus he's a member u/wagr (I think)

https://www.namelessarms.com/shop list all the glock cuts he can do at this time. Feel free to email him for any questions, his wife handles that side of the business and is very quick to reply.  

He requires the exact optic to be sent in so it is matched to the cut.  In theory, if you replace the optic with another optic with the same cut, it might not fit if it is oversized compared to the original optic.  He also has the videos on his Facebook page of picking up the slide by the optic and shaking it around without it being screwed down.  If you get an optic to fly off, you did something incredible!

If you don't have an optic, he has great prices on optic cut combos, unfortunately he looks like he is out of stock of everything right now https://www.namelessarms.com/optic-cut-package

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Battlewerx
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJSCARH] [#9]
Just made a thread about getting my G19.5 done, responses were overwhelmingly Battlewerx……..so Battlewerx. Got my Glock back about a week ago, turnaround time was 8 buisness days and as you can see from a poster above, they do amazing work. I refinished mine with Blueing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

https://i.imgur.com/7UB0g6X.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KWOzsWD.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/34lwl11.jpeg
View Quote

Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Battlewerx
View Quote

Hell yes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got back two from nameless. These are my only datapoints, but the machine work looked good to me, and I like the tight fit, no plate, no pins, and the screws don't see any shear forces. The iron sighted gun has been my competition gun for years and I'm transitioning to optics. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Good info guys, thank you all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Battlewerx
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
ATEi
Maple Leaf Firearms

ATEi is an OG, good work and decent turn around.  I've used Maple Leaf a few times and they've been great as well and offer some neat cuts and finishes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Nameless Armament has done five for me.  No complaints whatsoever.  Reasonable price, good work and fast turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

BW did mine a couple years ago. Five business day turnaround with out refinish. Couple thousand rounds with out any problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/IMG_3244_jpeg-3174022.JPG

BW did mine a couple years ago. Five business day turnaround with out refinish. Couple thousand rounds with out any problems.
View Quote

This.  I had them do mine on the (I think) memorial day special and even with all those sales it took them (counting shipping to and from Alaska) a week round trip.  The cutting (milled to Glock MOS with a rear sight move) was fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Another +1 for Battlewerx. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Battlewerx.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like Battlewerx dropped their DLC coating option.  Anyone talk to them recently as to why?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By spadedracer:
Looks like Battlewerx dropped their DLC coating option.  Anyone talk to them recently as to why?
View Quote

"Black nitride " option now.

Curious.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe Tom is tired of people asking him why DLC black turns to dark grey because they never maintain it (put a light coat of oil on it)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top