Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2022 5:23:23 PM EDT
I just picked up a Kimber Custom TLE II. I’ve been having issues with the slide lock lever engaging and locking the slide open randomly. I would like to think that it’s just my grip, as I’m used to shooting Glocks. Are there any other causes I should look for next time I take it out?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try using different quality magazine?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Had it happen on both Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I had this happened on mine. I just filed down a bit of metal on the slide release where the follower pushes up. What was happening was occasionally a bullet would hit it and cause it lock up. After this modification no more issues. If you look you can probably see where it's worn from being hit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fonzy1:
I had this happened on mine. I just filed down a bit of metal on the slide release where the follower pushes up. What was happening was occasionally a bullet would hit it and cause it lock up. After this modification no more issues. If you look you can probably see where it's worn from being hit.
View Quote

Thanks for the info! I took it out to the range on Sunday and tried to recreate the malfunction. Didn’t see the issue, but I did see some copper streaking on the slide stop, which tends to suggest what you’re saying.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Do what has already been suggested and relieve the inside where bullets appear to be rubbing.

Other steps include adding a small dimple to the slide stop rear face so that the plunger can hold it down a bit more firmly.

I have also replaced the plunger tube spring with a stiffer one from Wilson’s.

This seems to be a common Kimber issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phobia] [#6]
I would just buy a new Ed Brown or Wilson Combat Slide Stop.  You could also slightly round off the Kimber one with a file, that's what I used to do when I worked there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top