Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 2:14:12 AM EDT
There are like one or two options for good functioning kydex rigs when it comes to the 22/45 MkIV Lite.  The one I'm looking at is the tactical solutions holster.  However, I've been told it puts significant wear on the gun/suppressor.  I'd like to avoid that.  Someone chimed in within another thread saying they sprayed silicone inside the holster, let it dry for 24hrs. and it's prevented holster wear.  

Anyone have experience trying this?  Does it work?  Either way, what spray or what tactic might eliminate holster wear from kydex rigs?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
what tactic might eliminate holster wear from kydex rigs?
View Quote

Clean the outside of the pistol and inside of the holster regularly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clean the outside of the pistol and inside of the holster regularly.
View Quote

...to get bits of abrasive grit out. Yup.

But have you heard of spraying the inside of kydex holsters with silicone to prevent holster wear due to significant rubbing within the design?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
In all the holsters I make (for customers and myself) I spray silicone inside to:

1. Clean the inside of all particulates.
2. Helps protect the finish of the weapon.

The silicone does dry out and needs to be reapplied monthly to keep the same protection.  There are silicone cloths out there you can just wipe the inside with.  It is a lot less messy that way and you can seal the cloth in a zip lock type baggie and it will last years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way to avoid holster wear is to not use a holster. Even leather holsters will eventually wear the finish.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only way to avoid holster wear is to not use a holster. Even leather holsters will eventually wear the finish.
View Quote

See the post above yours.  Seems pretty sound albeit requires some effort.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Back when I first started carrying & things like holster wear still bothered me, I lined the inside with moleskin.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinesiology-Shoulders-Fasciitis-Waterproof-Hypoallergenic/dp/B07Q51VB5Q

https://www.amazon.com/Moleskin-Feet-Blisters-Prevention-Adhesive/dp/B082LPPKS8

Later on I switched to something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Padding-Weather-Stripping-Thickness/dp/B071R4DR1R

https://www.amazon.com/Dualplex-Neoprene-Adhesive-Perfect-Cosplay/dp/B07WNS3XM4

After about 10-12 years of that I finally realized that honest holster wear is a badge of honor.  Then I got Glocks with tennifer treatment & those things take forever to even start showing holster wear.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

See the post above yours.  Seems pretty sound albeit requires some effort.

View Quote

I will stand by my statement. Silicone might slow the process down, but it will wear eventually.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will stand by my statement. Silicone might slow the process down, but it will wear eventually.
View Quote

I can see where you're coming from, but with it just being a range toy (for the most part), my money says I die well before it shows holster wear.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard that the bore will show wear eventually. Is there something I can do to prevent that?

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Use wear gives it the cool factor
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel like Allen Iverson.  Holster wear?!?!?!?!?  We talkin' 'bout holster wear?!?!?!?!?

Who gives a shit?  Do you spray silicone on your socket set to prevent wear on those?  Maybe some padding for your hammer so you don't hurt the finish?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

After a few years of carrying I came to the same conclusion & I must be right, cause some places that do coatings charge big bucks to give it that worn in look.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This holster wear is a badge of honor and something earned.  Gives the pistol character and make it look sexy.  Why do you think battle worn finish is a thing?

If you are worried about wear do not holster.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
When I clean my daily carry gun I spray the holster with silicone and let it set overnight to dry. I have been doing it for years but was thinking more about preventing corrosion than wear. It probably helps with holster wear but definitely has not eliminated it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Holster wear is fine, i wouldnt worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Not long after I got my Vedder light tuck I made the mistake of wiping down my G43 with a silicone rag like I always do after cleaning.  Never again, at least if I want to carry it in a kydex holster.

It made it slicker than owl shit and really screws up the retention. Whoever advocates wiping down or spraying the inside of a kydex holster with silicone  to “reduce wear” is really focused on all the wrong things. I like the ability to keep my weapon in the holster and not have it pop out like a goddamn pop tart in a toaster if I look at it wrong.

Cranking down the tension screws all the way to find that sweet spot of retention is not the answer either. The answer is to accept some holster wear on your gun, it’s not a show piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top