Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2022 4:15:15 PM EDT
I have a Sig P365 in PVD Coyote - experiencing the same issues other people are having dating back to 2016. The slide is super weak to scratching - if magazines are kept in the case with the gun it'll scratch the gun. I can't put it down on a concrete table without it scratching, etc. This gun was made in July, so Sig still hasn't addressed the issue.

Would Cerakote be a better finish?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes but it has it's limitations as well. Any Kydex holster will wear it pretty fast but normal handling will not. It will hold up to weather well also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Cerakote will scratch just as easily. Anything that can scratch the subsurface (steel.. aluminum.. etc..) can scratch the coating on top. Concrete is abrasive.. it will scratch your guns finish. Mags too. Even anodizing is easily scratched.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cerakote will scratch just as easily.
View Quote

You sure? I know anything will wear but I'd hope Cerakote wouldn't be able to be scratched off by accidentally rubbing against a mag in the case.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You sure? I know anything will wear but I'd hope Cerakote wouldn't be able to be scratched off by accidentally rubbing against a mag in the case.
View Quote
It will not. I am a cerakoter and have owned several Legions (older ones granted). The pvd coating would come off if you look at it wrong. I probably have a metric ton of images on sigs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will not. I am a cerakoter and have owned several Legions (older ones granted). The pvd coating would come off if you look at it wrong. I probably have a metric ton of images on sigs.
View Quote

Thanks. AFAIK newer legions get cerakoted, but I don't think that translated over to the NRA Edition coyote P365s.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also when you cerakote do you do the air dry version or the oven cure version
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also when you cerakote do you do the air dry version or the oven cure version
View Quote

I use an oven however the air cure works just fine if you give it time to cure. I used the standard H series once and gave it a few weeks on some hand tools and they are still holding up.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had the slide cerakoted on three CZs after milling for red dots and back up rear sights.

One of them is my EDC concealed pistol that has been in/out of a kydex holster a few thousand times.  It took almost 5 years to start showing a small bit of wear through on the muzzle end of the slide in a couple small spots.  I notice it when cleaning the pistol.

One of them was my wife's EDC pistol for a couple years.  Not carried nearly as much as I do and it still looks new.

One of them hasn't been in/out of a kydex holster more than a few times and still looks new.

On the other hand I had another CZ slide nitrided after a similar slide machining for red dot and back up rear sight.  It was my EDC carry pistol for a few weeks when the RMR for the other P07 was sent off to Trijicon for repairs.  Carried in the same holster the other P07 has been carried in for years the slide started showing wear through spots after 3 or 4 weeks of carry.  

For me the next refinish will be satin nickel.

The idea of a handling/rust resistant finish is to protect the metal underneath.  If it wears off easily what's the point of using that material?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 10mm P220 Emperor Scorpion with the PVD FDE finish and I think it it's holding up really well. At least in my example, I don't think Cerakote is as durable in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I use an oven however the air cure works just fine if you give it time to cure. I used the standard H series once and gave it a few weeks on some hand tools and they are still holding up.

https://i.imgur.com/mYe8b5B.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. I took my slide in for cerakote and hopefully it holds up well. Cerakote guy said it'd be stronger than Sig's finish, I'll update with results.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Good deal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top