Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2019 11:30:23 AM EDT
I took my stepfather shooting yesterday. He has an XDM that I have never shot before. We were shooting steel at various ranges. He doesn't practice much but he was damn near 100% on the plates. I asked to try it and I was far better with it than either of the guns I brought. Tried it several times and couldn't believe how much better I was with it. He lets another guy try it  with same results. He had just bought a Beretta APX and was far better with the XDM.

Is this particular gun a fluke? You never hear much about these. I find them to be pretty ugly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my XDMs. I'm super accurate with them and I find them visually appealing, which is of course just preference. I have a 3.8 Compact as my winter carry gun (XDS summer carry) and I have a 5.25 that I casually shoot steel with. I also plan on getting a 4.5 in the best mm here in the next year. Some say Im missing out on greener grass by not buying different brands but truth is they have been dead reliable, Im accurate with them, they are comfortable to hold and shoot, I like the way they look, and they have great capacity, so I don't see the need to look elsewhere.

Others will obviously have different opinions on them, or SA as a whole, but Ive been happy with mine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I took my stepfather shooting yesterday. He has an XDM that I have never shot before. We were shooting steel at various ranges. He doesn't practice much but he was damn near 100% on the plates. I asked to try it and I was far better with it than either of the guns I brought. Tried it several times and couldn't believe how much better I was with it. He lets another guy try it  with same results. He had just bought a Beretta APX and was far better with the XDM.

Is this particular gun a fluke? You never hear much about these. I find them to be pretty ugly.
View Quote
No, I find all of mine to be very accurate and reliable. Regarding looks, IMO they look like any other piece of tupperware.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've using my 5.25 9mm for practical shooting for the last 3 yrs and it's been 110% reliable.  Even shot it for 2 yrs without cleaning it to see when it would need TLC but it didn't so I cleaned it anyhow.  Liked my first so well I bought another when I found a deal I couldn't pass up, and use both as carry guns.

Picked up a XDm 5.25 10mm and its' been the same reliability, shoots better than my G20 and more ergonomic than the G20.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I own and carry a standard XD-9, I have shot a few XDM’s my experience is that they are great guns with tons of capacity!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
When shopping for my first gun, XD-M was second only to what I ended up getting, HK VP9, in terms of accuracy and ease of shooting.  I'm sure I will buy one eventually, but for now, it would fill no role that my VP9s don't already.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I need to get over the looks. I am missing the tip of my trigger finger and it sure has taken a long time to find a semi that I shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a "bad" 5.25 9MM.  It was my first XDM.  It was bigger than I wanted to carry all the time so I bought a 3.8" 9MM XDM.  That 3.8 shoots rings around the 5.25" pistol.  Everyone that shoots both likes the 3.8" better.

Both were 100% reliability wise.  No mods done to either one.

Earlier this year (late last year??) I bought an XD .45 acp 5" Tactical with ambidextrous thumb safeties and it's more accurate than either of the 9MM XDMs.  Impressive.  I did put part of a PRP trigger kit in it (not all of the parts fit due to it being a thumb safety model.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the M does stand for Match. I have 4 of them. Two full size and two compacts. My daughters have one each. We love them.
A few of my friends have them in .45 and 9mm. They like them two
I find the accuracy and reliability to be outstanding. I have guns that cost more. But they don't shoot any better than the XDms.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot mine like it is an extension of my hand.  3.8 compact.  Seems to just hit anything it gets pointed at with ease.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot mine like it is an extension of my hand.  3.8 compact.  Seems to just hit anything it gets pointed at with ease.
View Quote
Yea, I experienced success without even really focusing. I guess I know what I need to do. I was about ready to try a Sig 320
which I find way more appealing to look at but I guess that isn't everything.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like the 2 XDMs I have.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry one as my duty weapon of choice. Love it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My Wife is deadly with her XDs, not so much with my Hi Power
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love my XDMs. I'm super accurate with them and I find them visually appealing, which is of course just preference. I have a 3.8 Compact as my winter carry gun (XDS summer carry) and I have a 5.25 that I casually shoot steel with. I also plan on getting a 4.5 in the best mm here in the next year. Some say Im missing out on greener grass by not buying different brands but truth is they have been dead reliable, Im accurate with them, they are comfortable to hold and shoot, I like the way they look, and they have great capacity, so I don't see the need to look elsewhere.

Others will obviously have different opinions on them, or SA as a whole, but Ive been happy with mine.
View Quote
The 10mm XDm OSP is freaking fantastic,  love it more than my g40... taking the fanboy subjective crap away the xd brand is great... doesnt deserve the hate at all
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm so so tempted by the clearance XDm .40's right now and this thread isn't helping.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 10mm XDm OSP is freaking fantastic,  love it more than my g40... taking the fanboy subjective crap away the xd brand is great... doesnt deserve the hate at all
View Quote
Well I will get to experience it sooner rather than later. Wife let me unwrap one gift early. It was a 10mm XDm OSP.

Now I need to figure out where I can send it off to get the slide finished to match the stainless SAs I have. This is actually the first one I have with a melonite slide.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well I will get to experience it sooner rather than later. Wife let me unwrap one gift early. It was a 10mm XDm OSP.

Now I need to figure out where I can send it off to get the slide finished to match the stainless SAs I have. This is actually the first one I have with a melonite slide.
View Quote
Arclight precision Cerakote slides for $35.  Does great work too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I was with a friend at the range right after the XD came out and he was smacking everything. He was making hits that he just previously couldn’t make with regularity. Being a non-fan of Tupperware guns, I was reluctant to even look at it. When he started hitting steel at 50 yards, I finally had to try. Fast draw, first shot rang at 50. Damn thing made me feel like I had to try to miss. I bought the XD-M right after it debuted.i have never regretted it.

BTW, accuracy and reliability are way higher on my pre-requisites for a weapon than looks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I ran thru a qual with one in 9mm. Never shot one before that and I hate that grip safety. It was decent enough and accurate enough, just could not get over that grip safety. Black electricians tape would be a simple fix but it was not my gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Y’all have short memories.

Is the XDM a bad gun? No, it’s sold by a bad company. But if you shoot any mainstream modern pistol any better than another, it’s more of a statement about your capabilities, not the pistol.

When your target at 10 yards looks like you’ve been firing a shotgun, it’s you, not the pistol. If you switch pistols and do better, it’s still you (barring some defect). It just means something about the pistol meshes better with you and masks your deficiencies in fundamentals.

In other words if you shoot one pistol noticeably better than another, you need to work on you.

ETA:
So what you shoot with an XDM:

Should look pretty similar to what you shoot with a VP9:

Or a P320:

I could go on with the RAP, FNS, G17, etc. but you get the point.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is the XDM a bad gun? No, it’s sold by a bad company. But if you shoot any mainstream modern pistol any better than another, it’s more of a statement about your capabilities, not the pistol.

When your target at 10 yards looks like you’ve been firing a shotgun, it’s you, not the pistol. If you switch pistols and do better, it’s still you (barring some defect). It just means something about the pistol meshes better with you and masks your deficiencies in fundamentals.

In other words if you shoot one pistol noticeably better than another, you need to work on you.

ETA:
https://i.postimg.cc/x8r60H5K/IMG_2820.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4dD02jhb/IMG-2749.jpg

Or a P320:
https://i.postimg.cc/W3BTpH0R/IMG-2748.jpg

View Quote
With all due respect, those pics reflect about 30 MOA spreads. That's not nearly the capability of the XDM and if that's your standard to measure a pistols accuracy with, that's your prerogative but that's a low bar in my opinion. I shoot matches with 3" steels at 30 yds. That is much more of a test but even then most pistols are capable of that as well but at that distance you'll start to see some differentiation in quality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not true. Some may shoot as well but, some weapons are built better and more accurate than others. Factor in the ergonomics and you can be even more accurate. The point in this thread is how suprisingly accurate the XD’s are especially the M’s.

By your logic, If we all could shoot every modern striker fired weapon just as well as the next, we’d all be buying the cheapest one available or, we’d need to be putting more time in on fundamentals.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was with a friend at the range right after the XD came out and he was smacking everything. He was making hits that he just previously couldn’t make with regularity. Being a non-fan of Tupperware guns, I was reluctant to even look at it. When he started hitting steel at 50 yards, I finally had to try. Fast draw, first shot rang at 50. Damn thing made me feel like I had to try to miss. I bought the XD-M right after it debuted.i have never regretted it.

BTW, accuracy and reliability are way higher on my pre-requisites for a weapon than looks.
View Quote
Sounds like we had similar experiences. I was going to try a Sig 320 next but I have to agree on your priorities.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not true. Some may shoot as well but, some weapons are built better and more accurate than others. Factor in the ergonomics and you can be even more accurate. The point in this thread is how suprisingly accurate the XD’s are especially the M’s.

By your logic, If we all could shoot every modern striker fired weapon just as well as the next, we’d all be buying the cheapest one available or, we’d need to be putting more time in on fundamentals.
View Quote
Actually, I’d be more surprised if a modern pistol wasn’t so accurate. And yes, my logic is that people should realize that most of any lackluster performance is attributable to the shooter and not the pistol, and absolutely yes people need to put more time in on fundamentals. Well, except the poster above you, he’s Jerry Miculek. So yes, I do think that people should be just buying the cheapest pistol that has established quality and reliability. But people buy on looks and feels and brand. Which I get. I may not think it’s the best idea (who cares what a pistol looks like?), but I’m not the boss of anyone. Well, not here anyway.

And I’m also talking in terms of defensive use. You can go all custom blaster for bullseye at 50 yards. But you’re gonna need a real good lawyer to convince people it was a good defensive pistol shoot at 50 yards. But even at 25-50 yards, it’s still more about the shooter than the pistol. Except for the top shooters. But then I forget that all arfcommers are the top shooters. All except me anyway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA:

Or a P320:

View Quote
Yet in another thread you are saying all Springfields are junk...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Y'all have short memories.

Is the XDM a bad gun? No, it's sold by a bad company. But if you shoot any mainstream modern pistol any better than another, it's more of a statement about your capabilities, not the pistol.

When your target at 10 yards looks like you've been firing a shotgun, it's you, not the pistol. If you switch pistols and do better, it's still you (barring some defect). It just means something about the pistol meshes better with you and masks your deficiencies in fundamentals.

ETA:

Or a P320:

View Quote
While I agree with your sentiment that most of the time what someone needs is more trigger time not a new gun as it's almost always the person not the gun if a different gun gets something excited for shooting that they will hit the range more often then that's a win.

However with due respect 7 yards with a handgun is not exactly a measure of accuracy.

Almost any modern pistol will do 2-5" groups at 25 yards. The more expensive ones will be closer to 2" than the 5". Glock, Walther, Springfield are all around 4" or so; a CZ Shadow 2 will get closer to 2" A good trigger and a grip that lines up with your hand a bit better might make it easier for you to do that or better able to do it quicker.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a used XDM comp for $375 at LGS! Adjustable sights with fiber optic front. Works brilliantly!
I still think it is ugly but getting over it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I picked up a used XDM comp for $375 at LGS! Adjustable sights with fiber optic front. Works brilliantly!
I still think it is ugly but getting over it.
View Quote
Nice find! That’s a good price in my book.

They look better in stainless. It’s a shame SA did away with them. I have a stainless 5.25, 3.8c, and XDs 3.3 all in 9mm and I think they look pretty good. My 10mm OSP only came in black so I’m still getting over the disappointment.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice find! That’s a good price in my book.

They look better in stainless. It’s a shame SA did away with them. I have a stainless 5.25, 3.8c, and XDs 3.3 all in 9mm and I think they look pretty good. My 10mm OSP only came in black so I’m still getting over the disappointment.
View Quote
A little shine helps sometimes! I have never seen one in stainless.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A little shine helps sometimes! I have never seen one in stainless.
View Quote
Crappy crop from a much larger “family portrait” but you get the idea:

And the 5.25 taken more recently next to my new XDm 10mm OSP which I got for Christmas from the wife:

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, the stainless makes quite a difference!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a couple XD-M's and love them.

When shopping for my first handgun I tried out a bunch of brands and the Springfields just felt like a natural extension of my arm. That being the case, I shot them surprisingly accurately right out of the gate.

My first was an XD-M 4.5' in .40, I enjoyed that so much I picked up an XD-M 3.8' in 9mm for my wife, as I suspected she's not taken to shooting as much as she thought so the 3.8" has become my CC weapon. I'm not going to lie, I assumed this was how it would play out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a couple XD-M's and love them.

When shopping for my first handgun I tried out a bunch of brands and the Springfields just felt like a natural extension of my arm. That being the case, I shot them surprisingly accurately right out of the gate.

My first was an XD-M 4.5' in .40, I enjoyed that so much I picked up an XD-M 3.8' in 9mm for my wife, as I suspected she's not taken to shooting as much as she thought so the 3.8" has become my CC weapon. I'm not going to lie, I assumed this was how it would play out.
View Quote
Ahh, we never plan for such things! ??
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Most people do better when they try a new gun because the shots break as a surprise.

Lighter triggers help too generally.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the XDm is the sweet spot these days.  Metal sights unlike a certain plasticky sight competitor, big magazines, fully supported chambers for reloaders.  Did I mention that the factory steel sights are pretty damn good?  I've got a .40 and a 10MM (with a 9MM OSP) on the way and think these things are awesome, the big (5.25) inch 10 especially handles the hot loads I like and both are extremely reliable so far and fit my hand and shooting style perfectly.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the XDm is the sweet spot these days.  Metal sights unlike a certain plasticky sight competitor, big magazines, fully supported chambers for reloaders.  Did I mention that the factory steel sights are pretty damn good?  I've got a .40 and a 10MM (with a 9MM OSP) on the way and think these things are awesome, the big (5.25) inch 10 especially handles the hot loads I like and both are extremely reliable so far and fit my hand and shooting style perfectly.

View Quote

I got the 5.25 with adjustable rear sight. It's a shooter!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My XDm .45 is easy to shoot and I think it looks great compared to my glocks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Everything looks great next to Glocks.

I am tempted to try a G29 though. Only because a Hellcat or XDM Compact doesn’t exist in 10mm. I’d gobble up a 10mm Hellcat so fast...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I got the 5.25 with adjustable rear sight. It's a shooter!
View Quote

Yes, same here, Love the thing and it gets great velocities with low SD out of reloads and factory ammo
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#40]
You guys have me looking at the 10mm OSP  as a woods gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Everything looks great next to Glocks.

I am tempted to try a G29 though. Only because a Hellcat or XDM Compact doesn’t exist in 10mm. I’d gobble up a 10mm Hellcat so fast...
View Quote

Damn, now that is a person who can handle recoil! I really like my Hellcat and it replaced my G43 and G26 for EDC.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#42]
What is a good optic for the OSP? I'm going to get one in 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trijicon RMR. Lower 1/3rd co-witness with the irons also.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an RMR on my 10mm OSP but will likely swap it for an SRO as it’s just a range toy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#45]
two XDM 45s here.  Love them.  The extra capacity is a bonus
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I love my XDm.

Fantastic pistol.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like I need another XDM 9 for a backup. Good thread and reflects my experience with mine.  Favorite of all time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Sportsman's warehouse had the pre 2.0's at a decent price. I picked up an OSP model and put a Burris Fast Fire III on it. Very happy with it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top