Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 12:16:06 PM EDT
I know this isn't a great handgun but plenty of people have had decent enough results from it.  

But...every single time I shoot it the magazine drops out.  Am I just hitting the grip or am I looking at a gun malfunction?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Try and re-create it without shooting. Pay attention to see if you are hitting it. Sling the slide back and forth, also lock it back and release. If that does not do it, bang the heck out of it on your hand or something that will not damage it and try and make it fall. If no, then it is you. If I remember correctly, those are similar to a glock and have a straight wire spring.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bigern314:
I know this isn't a great handgun but plenty of people have had decent enough results from it.  

But...every single time I shoot it the magazine drops out.  Am I just hitting the grip or am I looking at a gun malfunction?
View Quote

@bigern214

Call Taurus and have them send you a new mag latch and spring. I have a 4 year old PT111 G2 that has been flawless through 3500+ rounds. I have NEVER had a mag drop out unless I pushed the release. I have heard that some of the guns have a wear issue with the mag latches but have never seen it in the real world.
As I have said before, 15-20 year old Taurus pistols had some QC issues. Over the last 10 years under the new head man, they have DRASTICALLY improved the quality of their product line. I have my choice of carry guns from several of the biggest/best (?) companies in the world. I've been carrying the G2 mentioned for a couple of years now for several reasons.

Loaded chamber indicator, bigger than a mini compact, not as big as a full sized gun, restrike capability, damn fine trigger, very good accuracy, 100% functional reliability across all but one kind of ammo, and decent aftermarket support. I have a total of $310 in my gun and feature for feature I will put it up against a lot of other guns on the market.

Don't give up on the gun OP.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:

@bigern214

Call Taurus and have them send you a new mag latch and spring. I have a 4 year old PT111 G2 that has been flawless through 3500+ rounds. I have NEVER had a mag drop out unless I pushed the release. I have heard that some of the guns have a wear issue with the mag latches but have never seen it in the real world.
As I have said before, 15-20 year old Taurus pistols had some QC issues. Over the last 10 years under the new head man, they have DRASTICALLY improved the quality of their product line. I have my choice of carry guns from several of the biggest/best (?) companies in the world. I've been carrying the G2 mentioned for a couple of years now for several reasons.

Loaded chamber indicator, bigger than a mini compact, not as big as a full sized gun, restrike capability, damn fine trigger, very good accuracy, 100% functional reliability across all but one kind of ammo, and decent aftermarket support. I have a total of $310 in my gun and feature for feature I will put it up against a lot of other guns on the market.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:

@bigern214

I appreciate the reply.  Its not mine, its my Godson's and he is 18 and it was his first gun gift.  He has the same issues but it seems like to a lesser extent.  We were shooting it to zero in a laser on it and just every single shot the mag would drop out when I shot it, it would also happen with him but it didn't seem to happen quite as often.  I have bigger hands and was wondering if the additional pressure my bottom finger is putting on the mag extension was amplifying the issue.  I'll work with him to get in touch with Taurus.  

I haven't ever been able to get a decent opinion on it as I hate the trigger, but wanted to get used to it and see how well it could really shoot once I got used to the mush.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If it ever, even once, drops the mag without being user activated, it is a MUST resolve problem.  Nothing to think about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LampShadeActual:
If it ever, even once, drops the mag without being user activated, it is a MUST resolve problem.  Nothing to think about.
View Quote

I agree, and if it was mine it would have been taken care of a long time ago.  But its not and I'm just trying to get him fixed up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Trying again to get though to Taurus support.  Never had luck in that regard.  Eventually my hour lunch is up and I have to go back to work...
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#7]
To hell with CS - just fix it. First, try putting some light gun oil/product directly into the mag catch, from inside the mag well, then work it back and forth, making sure the spring takes the RH end of the catch all the way back flush or under flush when you release it. Looking in there you will see the spring is a 'hairpin' spring, not a coil spring. You'll see the catch itself protrudes into the magwell maybe 3/32" or so and the spring should give the catch a positive return impetus when you release the catch button. Inserting the magazine, it should slow when it hits the catch, then snap in as the catch engages. Watching the mag release button when installing the mag, you'll notice it retracts as the mag pushes the catch back, then it pops up with a loud click when the catch is engaged.
It could be something as simple as a piece of debris caught in the catch. Look and see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We took the gun apart after Taurus sent me a replacement spring and release.  As far as I could see the old one was working fine, spring was in the right part and it moved freely.  So we took it out, which was a bitch, and then went to put the replacement in.  They sent the wrong part. This is too short, for a thinner gripped gun.   Been trying to get though since last Monday, no replies to any emails.  Every time I've called the system tells me they are too busy and to try again later.

Once this is resolved I will make sure to avoid this shitball company.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quit messing with it, trade it on literally any other gun. You'll be glad you did. PT111 is a shitty platform to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Quit messing with it, trade it on literally any other gun. You'll be glad you did. PT111 is a shitty platform to begin with.
View Quote

its not my gun, its my godson's.  Or I would have shitcanned it long ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]

its not my gun, its my godson's.  Or I would have shitcanned it long ago.
View Quote

You could do the godfatherly thing help him out with a new one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

You could do the godfatherly thing help him out with a new one.
View Quote

I'd be getting myself in trouble with his two brothers, who are my godchildren pretty much as well, and I can't afford 3 new pistols!
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
So I send the part back to Taurus, they get it but then tell me they can't do an exchange on the mag release and pin and I'll have to just get a refund.  

I mail them back and say what am I supposed to do with this POS pistol that fires once and then ejects the magazine?  

Worst customer service ever.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It sounds like they sent you a release for a G2S.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the G3C release fits the PT111 G2(maybe someone can correct me if that's wrong). If you want to risk $6 to find out, here's a link to the part plus you'll have a spare spring:
https://www.shoptaurus.com/g3c-parts/factory-magazine-release-spring-g3-g3c-10024828

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spurg:
It sounds like they sent you a release for a G2S.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the G3C release fits the PT111 G2(maybe someone can correct me if that's wrong). If you want to risk $6 to find out, here's a link to the part plus you'll have a spare spring:
https://www.shoptaurus.com/g3c-parts/factory-magazine-release-spring-g3-g3c-10024828

View Quote

I'll probably try that.  They emailed me back and said they can back order the part, which I guess would be the same one they already sent me.  I've given them the serial on this gun and they should know the correct part.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Make sure it's empty.

Insert an empty magazine.  Look at (measure if possible) any gap between the bottom of the frame/grip and the floor plate of the magazine.

Remove the magazine.  Remove the slide.

Insert a magazine.  Loot at (measure if possible) any gap between the bottom of the frame/grip and the floor plate of the magazines.

The reason for this suggestion/request is to see if the slide is interfering with the magazine insertion - just to rule it out.  I don't think that's the problem.

After that, the next step is to look at the magazine release.  How far out does it protrude when the magazine is inserted?

Remove the magazine and look at the magazine release.  How far out does it protrude with no magazine inserted?

The reason for this is a check on the magazines - or the frame.  It's possible (seen it before) that the floor plate of the magazine is contacting the bottom of the frame which keeps the magazine from fully inserting and locking into place.  When that happens, the magazine will drop right out on recoil, or even on a hard slap to the slide of the pistol with your hand.

If the issue is a frame to magazine base plate geometry problem there are two ways to deal with it.  It's a plastic frame, sand a little off the bottom of the frame till the magazines fully insert and lock in correctly.  That would be my preference.   The other way would be to open up the magazine release hole in the magazine with a small file.  I would not want to do that on a plastic framed pistol as (even though it might work - if that is the issue) then you'd have to do that for any/all magazines.

I ran across a .45 steel framed pistol one time (non colt 1911 style) with that same issue.  As it was a steel framed pistol we just filed the slots out in the two magazines the guy got with the pistol.

Oh, metal removal was done at the top of the hole in the magazine.  Just a small amount.  Magazines disassembled and thoroughly cleaned out/off before every trial insertion to keep metal filings out of the pistol frame.

Going with the plastic removal from the bottom of the frame would be quicker/easier.  Just go slow, take off a little at a time, keep checking to see when the magazine release button fully locks into the magazine.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
Make sure it's empty.

Insert an empty magazine.  Look at (measure if possible) any gap between the bottom of the frame/grip and the floor plate of the magazine.

Remove the magazine.  Remove the slide.

Insert a magazine.  Loot at (measure if possible) any gap between the bottom of the frame/grip and the floor plate of the magazines.

The reason for this suggestion/request is to see if the slide is interfering with the magazine insertion - just to rule it out.  I don't think that's the problem.

After that, the next step is to look at the magazine release.  How far out does it protrude when the magazine is inserted?

Remove the magazine and look at the magazine release.  How far out does it protrude with no magazine inserted?

The reason for this is a check on the magazines - or the frame.  It's possible (seen it before) that the floor plate of the magazine is contacting the bottom of the frame which keeps the magazine from fully inserting and locking into place.  When that happens, the magazine will drop right out on recoil, or even on a hard slap to the slide of the pistol with your hand.

If the issue is a frame to magazine base plate geometry problem there are two ways to deal with it.  It's a plastic frame, sand a little off the bottom of the frame till the magazines fully insert and lock in correctly.  That would be my preference.   The other way would be to open up the magazine release hole in the magazine with a small file.  I would not want to do that on a plastic framed pistol as (even though it might work - if that is the issue) then you'd have to do that for any/all magazines.

I ran across a .45 steel framed pistol one time (non colt 1911 style) with that same issue.  As it was a steel framed pistol we just filed the slots out in the two magazines the guy got with the pistol.

Oh, metal removal was done at the top of the hole in the magazine.  Just a small amount.  Magazines disassembled and thoroughly cleaned out/off before every trial insertion to keep metal filings out of the pistol frame.

Going with the plastic removal from the bottom of the frame would be quicker/easier.  Just go slow, take off a little at a time, keep checking to see when the magazine release button fully locks into the magazine.

Good luck.
View Quote

I'll be at my godsons this weekend and I'll give some of your tips a try. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Now they are saying they will ship me the correct part when it comes in.

We will see...
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally sent the correct part and the gun is working now. Only took forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top