Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2022 12:23:27 PM EDT
Does anyone else find the Shield Plus grip texture to be too sandpaper-like? It shoots well at the range but in an IBW holster, the texture is always catching my shirt tail and preventing it from falling down.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same problem but it is much better than the 2.0 texture,which is even more rough. I love shooting my Shields and M&P pistols and the texture(s) makes it so but carrying it in a iwb holster for me, is a no go. I am going to have to sand it down a little more to make it comfortable to carry. Wearing an undershirt in Florida is a no go as a regular t-shirt is hot enough.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the Shield Plus texture, but my M&P 2.0 Compact is really aggressive.  Haven't had issues with the shirt catching on it but I only carry that gun in cooler weather with a tucked t-shirt and a cover shirt.  I suspect Talon makes a grip for the Shield Plus, maybe check that out?  I use the rubber one on my gen 1 Shield and the grip is plenty secure without the grit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Take some 800 or a 1k grit sand paper and knock it down.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it.  I have really sweaty hands so I put the sandpaper Talon grips on my other handguns anyway
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love it.  I have really sweaty hands so I put the sandpaper Talon grips on my other handguns anyway
View Quote

I had the gritty Talon on my Shield for a while and loved it when shooting the gun.  I prefer it to the rubber, but my shirt caught on it constantly and would sometimes pull the shirt up enough that the gun was exposed.  The rubber doesn't have that problem for me.  I carry at 3:30 with a untucked shirt, a different position or holster might not have the issue.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had the gritty Talon on my Shield for a while and loved it when shooting the gun.  I prefer it to the rubber, but my shirt caught on it constantly and would sometimes pull the shirt up enough that the gun was exposed.  The rubber doesn't have that problem for me.  I carry at 3:30 with a untucked shirt, a different position or holster might not have the issue.
View Quote

My first Shield with the sandpaper talon gets carried in a G-Code Incog Eclipse appendix.  Never had a shirt stick to it surprisingly enough though I totally get how it would.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
had the same problem with both of my Shield Pluses. So, I put Hogue Jr grips on both. Problem solved.

I also like the ONE finger groove. I don't care for the larger Hogue Handall. But the Hogue Jr is just perfect. I have it on several other guns too...

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the more aggressive texture.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I cut a piece of bicycle innertube and put it around the grip. Feels much better carrying IWB.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cut a piece of bicycle innertube and put it around the grip. Feels much better carrying IWB.
View Quote

I do that on some of my guns that are too big to fit the Hogue Jr grip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I love the plus grip texture, if anything the it could be made more aggressively textured. No issues carrying owb and catching on shirts or skin either.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I find the mag release to be the worst of it. I’ll end up taking some sandpaper to it sooner or later.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I have switched back to my M&P Shield (original) as my EDC (IWB appendix carry) because I can't stand the aggressive texture of the Plus.
Even with an undershirt it was bothersome, the grip would catch on the undershirt and cause it to shift weird.

I have debated taking some 1000 grit to it to soften it up some. I am using it as my motorcycle gun for now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The grip texture on the M&P line has gotten progressively rougher over the years.  Friend brought out one of the new metal M&Ps the other night.  Pretty sure that thing will peel the hide off my palm.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the same problem with it hanging up on my shirt. I bought the rubber version of the Talon grips. No more issues. It includes a strip for the mag as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with it hanging up on my shirt. I bought the rubber version of the Talon grips. No more issues. It includes a strip for the mag as well.
View Quote

Does it add any real bulk to the grip area?

And on another note about the Shield Plus (optics ready), are both the rear and front sights supposed to glow?
Only the rear on mine glow, the orange front sight is invisible in low light, so kinda pointless to have rear sights that glow with nothing in the front (or am I just using it wrong?).
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Does it add any real bulk to the grip area?

And on another note about the Shield Plus (optics ready), are both the rear and front sights supposed to glow?
Only the rear on mine glow, the orange front sight is invisible in low light, so kinda pointless to have rear sights that glow with nothing in the front (or am I just using it wrong?).
View Quote

No the Talon tape stuff is thin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top