Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2020 9:01:26 PM EDT
Friend, brand new Shield 9mm 2.0 With Safety.

Slide lock, mag out, UNABLE to depress slide release.  220# strong guys.  Broke fingernails trying.

Slide taken off.  Looked. Nothing wrong or unusual. Catch moves freely with out or with slide.  

Just refuses to exit notch in slide.

Common?

Advice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it's a release?  Some are not.  I can't remember if it's my Shield or my XD that's just a lock, and not a release.   Anyway,  I got in the habit of just pulling back on the slide and letting it go to release it.  It works on all of them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was the same.  Polishing helped some.  Noticeably better after 500 rounds.  After 1k, feels pretty normal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
It is not designed as a slide release on the shield. It’s designed as a slide lock only. Rack the slide to load.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's technically a slide lock, not release.   Have to manually slingshot it for a while and loosen it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine was the same.  Polishing helped some.  Noticeably better after 500 rounds.  After 1k, feels pretty normal.
View Quote

EXACTLY THIS!

Which was really confusing considering the Gen I M&P would let the slide slam home without touching the Slide stop / Slide release if just you slammed a fresh magazine into it.

One would not release no matter how hard I tried, and the other would release without even touching it.  Extremes!!

Spent a lot of time in front of the TV, just working the slide release back and forth and back and forth and now it has worn in, but Stiff Slide Lock / Slide Release it is a VERY common thing.

Very Stout Recoil Spring & Deep Cut for the Notch make for some "Maximum Effort' needed, especially when new out of the box.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My 2.0 FS M&P was much the same.  Took right thumb and left thumb to force the slide release down.

After a few months of using it I find I can right thumb it down just like my 1.0's.

My dad used to say, "If the guys who designed these things had to use them, we'd all be better off."
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My 5" 2.0 is stiff enough that I can't release it with my thumb, but my 4" can. Either way, I just release it by grabbing the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top