Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2018 8:48:27 PM EDT
Just got back from a range session shooting the 2.0 Shield and G43 side by side, trying to decide which to buy.  Both shoot to point of aim, and groups are the same size, so that's no help.  I like the size of the G43 better, slight preference towards G43 trigger also (Shield is perfectly serviceable).  Mag capacity and factory steel sights are a plus for the Shield.

43 is a touch over $100 more than the Shield.  I would pay a $100 difference for the Glock if I didn't have to immediately throw more money at it to bring the 'feature' level to the same as the Shield.  Add replacement sights and mag extensions to the Glock, price difference is easily more than $200.  If the Shield was clearly an inferior gun, it would be a simple choice, but it checks all the boxes.  I just like the 43 a bit more.

Anything I'm missing in my decision making process?  Anyone have anything specific to add about either gun?  Should I flip a coin?  Buy both?  What sayeth the hive???
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shield all day long. Also, consider getting magguts for an extra +2 capacity (or a +1).

But I never shot a g43 for full disclosure. I just really like my shield 1.0. Apex trigger makes it even better.  If both work good for you, it just boils down the personal preference and what moves your noodle when you look at it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Going to get a lot opinions. I hated my 43. No real reason. Just didn’t get along with it. However shot my buddies ext mag, Dawson sights, apex trigger, g43 and loved it.

Love my Walter pps m2!!!!! Not 1 single bad thing to say about it. Recently picked up a sig p365. Holds more ammoand is a touch smaller. But I shoot that pps noticeably better
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I hated my G43. I have the older shield with an Apex trigger and a 2.0.  I love both
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
G43 seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I hate M&P's but I will begrudgingly admit, the Shield 2.0 isn't bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot both, ended up buying 2 Shields.  One in 9mm and one in 45.  Very happy with my decision.

I've shot a friends 43 a lot more since buying and I still think the Shield is better for my purpose.

The 45 is unbelievable on recoil or the lack of.  Extremely soft shooting compared to any of my 3 1911's, G30 or G21.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shield all day long. Also, consider getting magguts for an extra +2 capacity (or a +1).
View Quote
What's the reliability like on those?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Love my Walter pps m2!!!!! Not 1 single bad thing to say about it. Recently picked up a sig p365. Holds more ammoand is a touch smaller. But I shoot that pps noticeably better
View Quote
I haven't had a pps in hand, might try it.  365 is just outside current budget.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot both the 43 and shield. They both sucked compared to the PPS m2. Which has become my main CCW
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
I hated my G43. I have the older shield with an Apex trigger and a 2.0.  I love both
View Quote
Quoted:
I've shot both, ended up buying 2 Shields.  One in 9mm and one in 45.  Very happy with my decision.
View Quote
Any of you guys have any issues with magazines?  The 8 rounder I was using seemed funky, actually seemed to twist as mag catch engaged.

Also, does the slide stop loosen up?  Good grief!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
I've shot both the 43 and shield. They both sucked compared to the PPS m2. Which has become my main CCW.
View Quote
I think I will handle a pps tomorrow.  Just wishing there would be a clear winner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The G43 is a great gun.  I've owned 2 of them at different times trying to make it work(I am a Glock fan).  I just could not get this gun to agree with me.  I didn't shoot it well, it didn't point naturally at self defense drills/drawing and firing.
The S&W Shield is everything for me the G43 couldn't be.  Points naturally.  I can draw and fire the gun empty and group quite well at S/D ranges.  I shoot this gun well for a small single stack.
The G43 is not more gun for the extra cost, not even a little.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Shield - All Day & Every Way!

Carries very well, shoots natural point of aim (for me and my family) much better than "Glock Grip"...

Liked the first so well I bought a 2nd.

Lifetime warranty from S&W is nice benefit too.

You can get it with or without a manual safety (a requirement for some carry situations).

My personal preference is no manual safety, but nice to have the option to have or have not...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 43 and a shield 1.0.

For me, the 43 is not quite small enough for pocket carry.  So if i have to carry both on the belt, the shield is the winner. It's easier to hold on to and holds more rounds. I especially like the shield with the 8 round mags.

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the 43 it is a bit small but the Shield is a good pistol.  I like the PPS but aftermarket support sucks and mags are expensive.  I have a M1 and I love the pistol but getting a light and holster is next to impossible.  Finding sights other than stock is very limited.  I carry my 43 because I can get a light and accessories are endless same with the Shield.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I had picked up a used 43 for M-F discrete work carry,
I liked the gun and it was a good shooter but that one didn't
feed HP ammo reliably, I traded it for a Shield 2.0 and find that
to be accurate and hasn't missed a beat in 500+ rd's.
I don't shoot small guns well but do ok with both for their intended purpose,
the Shield is large for pocket carry but works in Docker's or Carhart relaxed fit jeans,
both are pretty much undetectable iwb with a good holster, both triggers are around
5.5 - 6 lb but the 43 had a more distinct wall / break which I prefer, the 43 had Ameriglow
sights on it and I just got a Dawson FO front that I'll put on the Shield this weekend and
if I decide to keep the Shield, not that it needs it, but I'll probably put in an Apex kit.
To me the 43 pocket carries better and sits lower in your hand, the Shield is a little larger
and easier to shoot but sits higher in you hand, if that matters.
Maybe in a year or 2 I'll look at a 365...
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I went with the PPS M2 and love it. Feels much better in my hand than any other gun and shoots accurately. Aftermarket options are limited, but all it needs is different sights and a holster and those arent hard to come by at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't like glocks and carry a shield or 1911. with that said, you should get the Glock. You said you like it more. that's great, and that's what matters. You don't need to upgrade the sights right away so shut up. Have you ever broken plastic sights? exactly.

you should pick the gun you like and you enjoy. that's way it will always go to the range with you and you'll be happy to practice with it. I've carried an LCP and while it was an easy carry, I hate to shoot it. so I didn't practice with it much. so I sucked with it, so I hated it more. The shield is bigger and more annoying, but I like shooting it, carrying it, practicing with it, etc. and as such, I take it to the range every visit instead of every year to function check.

One of the reasons I carry a 1911. I enjoy it. I shoot it well, and I practice with it. sure there are lighter/cheaper/higher capacity things out there but if I enjoy shooting this and know how practiced I am with it, there's no reason not to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I went with the G43.  I am quite happy with it.  Have handled a shield but haven't shot one.

When I got the 43, I wanted to pick the smaller of the 2 because for me the 43 is there as a bug/small gun for max concealment.

I'm more familiar with Glocks and that also played a part.  At the end of the day, pick the one you like better.  $100-200 is a drop in the bucket in a gun's cost.  Ammo is where you will get screwed.  If you like the shield, it's a popular option for a reason.  I'd have bought one if it wasn't the larger of the 2.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the PPS but aftermarket support sucks and mags are expensive.  
View Quote
buy the M2 LE and it comes with 3
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both; G43 and a Gen 1 Shield 9mm. They are both excellent firearms. Wife prefers the G43, so it became her CCW. I prefer the Shield; had it since before the G43 existed and saw no real benefit to dumping it for my own G43. In my humble opinion, the Shield is the better deal; less expensive, 7+1/8+1 standard capacity over the 6+1 of the G43 and just feels like a better gun in MY hand. I stippled my Gen 1 Shield, but the texture of the Shield 2.0 is better than that of the G43 in my opinion. Both guns have a good aftermarket behind them. You really can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think I will handle a pps tomorrow.  Just wishing there would be a clear winner.
View Quote
The LE version comes with phosphorus sights and three different mag capacities.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  It's looking like there really isn't many negative things to say about any of the 3 guns discussed.  I'll post a pic of what ends up coming home with me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have the Samson mag well in their Shield? Looks interesting
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have not heard of any issues. I can only speak of my personal experience.  I have 3 mags with the +2, 1 flush mount mag with the +1. Never had any issues with many rounds. It baffles me why it S&W doesn't make their mags like this. It barely adds any length to the mag. Basically I have a shield with 10+1 that carries almost the same as the stock 8+1.

The +1 maguts adds zero length to the flush mount mag.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have at least 500 trouble free rounds with MagGuts.

I am what you might call a Glock Guy, but I like the Shield better because it gives me just a little bit more to hold on to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have at least 500 trouble free rounds with MagGuts.

I am what you might call a Glock Guy, but I like the Shield better because it gives me just a little bit more to hold on to.
View Quote
Do you have the full kit for +2 or just the +1 mag extension?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you have the full kit for +2 or just the +1 mag extension?
View Quote
@starcityshooter

I have both.

IMHO, the Shield, with Magguts, bridges the gap between small micro guns vs a mid size. It is a reasonable way to carry a thinner more comfortable/concealable gun without the greater sacrifices.

I fall into the mission drives equipment school of thought. I like to have options, and we are blessed to have so many to chose from, maybe almost too much sometimes as we have to weed through all of the hype.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I ended up on the shield myself. It just felt better in my hand. It shoots excellent for a gun its size. I know someone with both a shield and a 43 and they agree the shield feels and shoots better for them also.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

buy the M2 LE and it comes with 3
View Quote
That makes for half my range trip spent topping off mags.  I know this because I have 5 mags for my M1 and SS9 pistols go dry fast.  Do not get me wrong the PPS pistols are awesome but the mag cost is ridiculous compared to the Sheild and sorta the G43 which I kind of think the mags are to high.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
G43 seven days a week and twice on Sunday.
View Quote
THIS.  You admitted you like the 43 better OP.  Get it and be happy.

For a true carry gun you love and will practice with and truly like there is no dollar amount that can match that.

I bought a Shield for my Dad and he likes it, I just like my 43 better.  That squishy ass M&P trigger just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Came back from the gun stores empty handed today.  None of the places I went today had a PPS, which I would like to at least lay hands on.  But, the gun I was going to trade in on either the 43 or Shield, the dealer quoted me $75 less than what they appraised it at last weekend.  Black Friday deals aren't too far out, I might hold off until then.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Any of you guys have any issues with magazines?  The 8 rounder I was using seemed funky, actually seemed to twist as mag catch engaged.

Also, does the slide stop loosen up?  Good grief!
View Quote
I haven't on the 9mm, but I still have to use my Maglula to get that last round in my 45 mags.  They are loosening a little.  Not had a twisting problem, and yes the slide stop does get better with use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Came back from the gun stores empty handed today.  None of the places I went today had a PPS, which I would like to at least lay hands on.  But, the gun I was going to trade in on either the 43 or Shield, the dealer quoted me $75 less than what they appraised it at last weekend.  Black Friday deals aren't too far out, I might hold off until then.
View Quote
Never trade guns to gun stores unless you like losing your ass.  PSA will probably put Shields on sale for Black Friday.  Keep saving and if you are going to sell your current item find a friend to sell it too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy to say because it's not my money, but don't let cost be your deciding factor. Get whatever you like better. Both are similar in price. You'll be a lot more likely to shoot and carry what you like.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Is the 6 round magazine the only factory option for a g43?

I know there’s mag extensions but the Shield & PPS factory 7 & 8 round mag options are a big plus.

I have a Shield 1.0 and previously had a PPS M1, both are great guns. Really just came down to my groups with the Shield were a little better.

I’d be more interested in a g43 with factory 7 & 8 round mags. For a true pocket pistol I like the g42 better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't had a pps in hand, might try it.  365 is just outside current budget.
View Quote
Def at least hold the pps!!!! I got mine for just over $300 plus background and tax.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone have the Samson mag well in their Shield? Looks interesting
View Quote
I have them on both my EDC 9mm Shields and if you don't plan on ever using 7rd mags then they're a 'must-have' IMHO.
Quality construction, very easy install.

Tomac

ETA: To answer a previous question, my Shields have over 1K rds through them, mixed FMJ/JHP's (HST 124's are my carry load, 124gr FMJ for practice) and have been 100%.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Did some shooting at PSA today, and stopped at the counter on my way out.  Was able to handle a PPS m2, and it sure is comfy, but seems thicker than the other options.  Dunno if that would be an issue with concealing on my body or not.  I would say the trigger is longer in both directions than the Shield or G43, but not a deal breaker for me.

Then I made the mistake of handling a Sig P365.  The gun is the same size as the G43 and holds 10 rounds.  The trigger is mush, but the reset is more tactile than the Shield, not as firm as the G43.

I've read about the striker issues with the P365, but was talking to the range officers today, and they are unanimous with their personal p365s being 100%.

I'm a little awestruck with the p365 right now, but am likely going to hold off purchasing anything until the holiday hits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the Shield 1.0 and the G43.
Liked the Shield better at first.

Now I'm carrying the G43.
Today at the range I could not get 5 shots in a 5" circle in 5 seconds from 6 yards.
(I haven't shot it in a couple of weeks.)

Going to take the Shield out and see if I shoot it better.

Maybe you should get both for now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I had both and stuck with the Glock. The Shield is a nice pistol and shoots great but parts are a pain to find compared to the Glock line. The 43 sits lower in my hand and doesn't feel as top heavy. The one thing I really like about it, and Glock finally did it right on the 43, was to make the tang slightly longer so people with large hands don't get slide bite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had both and stuck with the Glock. The Shield is a nice pistol and shoots great but parts are a pain to find compared to the Glock line. The 43 sits lower in my hand and doesn't feel as top heavy. The one thing I really like about it, and Glock finally did it right on the 43, was to make the tang slightly longer so people with large hands don't get slide bite.
View Quote
This was my overall impression as well, as far as size and hand placement.  At this point I'd say it's primarily a cost issue for me, but the longer I wait, the less that seems to matter.  I am going to hold until the holiday sales and see what pops up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#42]
This is Arfcom: get both! Just picked up a Shield 2.0 9mm today to try out.

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I own two G43's and have been recommending the Shield to guys at the PD who are looking for a back up/single stack off duty gun.
Shield has a better trigger, is slightly less expensive, has just as much aftermarket support as the G43...it is just slightly larger in size.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a heads up on the Shield 2.0. Got mine last week, and got in my Crossbreed Mini Tuck for it. The grip texture is a little rough on the skin with this holster since it has a combat cut. Id rather not sand or smooth the grip because it feels good in the hand, so I may just have to get the regular cut Super Tuck that covers most of the grip
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I own two G43's and have been recommending the Shield to guys at the PD who are looking for a back up/single stack off duty gun.
Shield has a better trigger, is slightly less expensive, has just as much aftermarket support as the G43...it is just slightly larger in size.
View Quote
The price difference is the primary reason I'm still considering the Shield, although I do like the Shield grip better as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just a heads up on the Shield 2.0. Got mine last week, and got in my Crossbreed Mini Tuck for it. The grip texture is a little rough on the skin with this holster since it has a combat cut. Id rather not sand or smooth the grip because it feels good in the hand, so I may just have to get the regular cut Super Tuck that covers most of the grip
View Quote
I was wondering about that grip against skin.  It's awesome in the hand, but......  Wonder how long it would take to develop a callus........
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is Arfcom: get both! Just picked up a Shield 2.0 9mm today to try out.

https://imgur.com/VJK39iN.jpg
View Quote
Look at this guy with his two carry pistols and his fermica counter tops
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone who ccws should have either a Shield or a 43.

Wife and I both have Shields, we stocked up on mags at $15 a piece, and hers has an Apex kit as well.

Money seems to be a big factor.  The 43 will require a sight swap pretty much immediatley, plastic Glock sights are not worth having on a self defense pistol.  So add at least $75 to the best 43 price you can find.

I think in an apples to apples comparison, the Shield is a better gun.  But I also think that with a couple of upgrades the 43 is an excellent alternative.

The PPS is just a tiny bit bigger than the Shield and has one less round in each comparitve magazine size.  And extra mags are very expensive.  Otherwise, also a good option.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Look at this guy with his two carry pistols and his fermica counter tops
View Quote
Guessing you forgot this isn’t GD?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have them on both my EDC 9mm Shields and if you don't plan on ever using 7rd mags then they're a 'must-have' IMHO.
Quality construction, very easy install.

Tomac

ETA: To answer a previous question, my Shields have over 1K rds through them, mixed FMJ/JHP's (HST 124's are my carry load, 124gr FMJ for practice) and have been 100%.
View Quote
Was going to post my "+1" on trying the PPS.  I LOVE mine.  Surprisingly accurate, extremely reliable, very thin/easy to carry.  Love it, LOVE it, LOVE IT!
I also like that you can put thumb on back of slide (over striker) when holstering and it can't fire (try pulling trigger hard with thumb over striker).

Saw the post above about the Sig 365.  Same 1" width which I love about the PPS (and similar to shield/g43) but 10+1 !!  I may look into p365 in future....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top