Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2019 7:49:25 PM EDT
I have an early 1970's (74 I think) Single Six Convertible that I inherited.  It does not have the transfer bar and should be carried on an empty cylinder.  Should I send it to Ruger for the upgrade?  I will never carry it and it is strictly a range toy so I am leaning towards leaving it as is.  My step father carried it in a leather holster with 22 mag snake shot when hunting and a good bit of the bluing has worn off so it is not a collectors piece.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd bet it's worth a fair amount more as is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're never going to carry it I'd probably keep it original just for originality sake.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't send it in if I had one, I would keep it just like it is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave it as is.

I ended up with one of the original Single Six's when I married my wife, it was her father's before he died.

Thinking I should get one for 'me' I purchased one of the new versions, and sold it fairly quickly.

The trigger, sights, and overall feel of the revolver just weren't there.  Accuracy was meh with identical ammo.

Sometimes the older stuff is still better.

There are some screaming deal on .22 mag right now, it's a barky little round that's a LOT of fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Consensus is I should leave it as is.  Thanks all.

And a pic....  It's obviously the top one....  Has been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned since this pic was taken.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Wise choice in my opinion.  It's like putting a transfer bar safety on an original Colt.  The added safety doesn't trump the coolness of the original.

I have a newer model Single Six (stainless 4.2" convertible .22LR/WMR) with the transfer bar safety and it's a great gun.  I really appreciate the transfer bar safeties ability to carry a full cylinder with no danger.  I really, really love this gun.  It's been very accurate and reliable. I couldn't ask for more.  I have no doubt they would have designed six guns with a transfer bar in the 1700's had they thought of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I always have the other answer.  Get the transfer bar system installed.  Ruger returns the original parts and it can be made unsafe again if you wish.

Dropped on the hammer, the old system fires.  Never happens?  Sad personal knowledge.

My wife worked.  Had a friend at work.  Friend and husband went weekend cabin camping with another couple circa 1971.  Other couple’s husband had a Ruger .44Mag single action.

Cheap holster with gun in it slid off a cheap belt changing clothes.  Landed on hammer in holster.  Full house .44 hit other couple’s wife in pubic bone from the front and exited belt level at rear.  Shook a couple of times and DRT.

There is no valid reason not to let Ruger switch the parts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always have the other answer.  Get the transfer bar system installed.  Ruger returns the original parts and it can be made unsafe again if you wish.

Dropped on the hammer, the old system fires.  Never happens?  Sad personal knowledge.

My wife worked.  Had a friend at work.  Friend and husband went weekend cabin camping with another couple circa 1971.  Other couple’s husband had a Ruger .44Mag single action.

Cheap holster with gun in it slid off a cheap belt changing clothes.  Landed on hammer in holster.  Full house .44 hit other couple’s wife in pubic bone from the front and exited belt level at rear.  Shook a couple of times and DRT.

View Quote
Or you could load it proper with 5 rounds and the hammer down on a empty chamber.

Ignorance of your gear is no excuse.  This isn't new knowledge either.

Sucks the lady died, but that accident is on no one but the person who dropped the gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not personally disagree, but as an observer of the world for 70 plus years, ignorance of common things abounds and is breeding fast.  The obvious is a mystery to many and small part machinery a puzzle that mechanical engineers choke over.

In the practical user world, I see things.

My children and grandchildren can run an AR or the Glock-Ruger-Walther type semi autos perfectly safely.  They know my Ruger LCP .380 is a nasty POS recoil wise, but know the thunderous .45s are just a big push in a silly heavy gun.  They know how to use a Smith revolver, but a Colt with the wrong way rotation is a minor puzzle loading two or three rounds.

On the other hand, a single action cowboy gun evokes, WTF, as being a needlessly silly system.  Going off if dropped would not help that impression.

I realize drop safe is a hard concept for a company like SIG, but most companies have got it right today.  For dam good historical reasons.

Considering the parts are returned and can be reinstalled for a collectable and considering it makes the .22 safe(r) at no change in usability, I see no reason to not make the change.

Who knows where that Ruger will reside when the current owner croaks out?  That’s the safety standard I use.  Leave no traps.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ruger no longer returns the original parts.  Haven't done so for many years.

Dual cylinder Single Six as pictured is worth significantly more, unconverted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Unknown. Their site still says they do:

https://ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

I am thinking the easy solution is take out the old unneeded parts before sending it in for the new parts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unknown. Their site still says they do:

https://ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

I am thinking the easy solution is take out the old unneeded parts before sending it in for the new parts.
View Quote
Been there, done that for a customer.
Ruger requested parts, or said the revolver would be returned without the 'upgrade'.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Collectively, sorry for mis information.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Collectively, sorry for mis information.
View Quote
No worries.
I don't get it, but folks actually collect Rugers.  

My customer is one of them.  Have had to learn more than I wanted to know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not going to send it in since it was inherited and will be a safe queen.  Want to keep it original.  I picked up a Wrangler recently to serve as a range toy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 2 sets back in the last year. They even state they will return them for collectors purposes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got 2 sets back in the last year. They even state they will return them for collectors purposes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.  The complaints must have finally made an impact.  
It has been a couple of years since I sent one in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Classic.  Wrong about being wrong.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I sent two Rugers back last year, a Blackhawk and a Single six and yes they returned the old parts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Consensus is I should leave it as is.  Thanks all.

And a pic....  It's obviously the top one....  Has been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned since this pic was taken.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118485/fullsizeoutput_f0d_jpeg-942164.JPG
View Quote
Nice.  I also inherited my dad's Single Six.  Looks just like yours(the one on top) except in a little worse shape.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Many years ago, I Had a client that inherited one.  Sent it in for the conversion.  Ruger claimed it had been in a fire and was unsafe; this was patently false, it had just been used a ton on hunting and fishing expeditions.  They sent the gun back in parts because they refused to return the three screw to a customer without the safety upgrade.  Everyone was flabbergasted, and it took me several phone calls before Ruger sent him a free gun in replacement.  Fortunately he wanted a functional firearm and not an heirloom, or it would've been extremely bad.

So I would be hesitant about anyone who wants to send it in, to verify IN WRITING from Ruger what the options and costs will be if the gun cannot be retrofitted according to Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I went into a gun shop a year or so ago and found a mint 4.5/8 old model 22/22 mag , and I will never send it in .
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd bet it's worth a fair amount more as is.
View Quote
I was awarded custody of a 1966 357 Blackhawk a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not getting the transfer fix. All the SA revolvers I ever owned were loaded with the hammer on a dead hole.  Not changing that policy.
The fix looks a bit weird to me.  YMMV

Pics of new (to me) old school Blackhawk

Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
When dad died my mom gave me his Single six (1960's model).  I sent it in to have the upgrade.  Ruger sends the original parts back to you in case, later on, you or someone else want to reinstate it as original.
The upgrade works perfectly and I don't have to worry about someone getting hurt accidentally.  Peace of mind was worth the FREE upgrade by Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Had / have a friend whose Single Six fell out of his holster, went off, and the bullet went through his forearm missing his head by an inch. His hat was the witness to the inch measurement, there was a hole in the brim and the crown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top