Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2021 11:41:09 AM EDT
I'd like to get some more 9mm self defense ammo and found some at my LGS.  They have some Sig hollow points priced at $1.24 per round.  I'm debating if I should grab a few boxes while it's in stock or just wait and see what comes available throughout the year.  What do you guys recommend?  NOt up to date on the current ammo prices for self defense rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been seeing defense rounds hover around $.75-$1.00 per round for a while.  I wouldn't think that's such a bad price in this market.  Hopefully you won't have to burn thru too many of them.  

I did get some 50rd boxes a while ago for $15-20, I forget the brand, but IIRC, they were 124gr HP something something.  But, that was way before the craziness started.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd like to get some more 9mm self defense ammo and found some at my LGS.  They have some Sig hollow points priced at $1.24 per round.  I'm debating if I should grab a few boxes while it's in stock or just wait and see what comes available throughout the year.  What do you guys recommend?  NOt up to date on the current ammo prices for self defense rounds.
View Quote

This might give you some valuable information https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm.

I personally use this for my 9mm https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-grain-jhp-hst-federal-premium-le-50-rounds#geltest and this for my .40 cal https://www.luckygunner.com/40-sw-180-grain-jhp-hst-federal-premium-le-50-rounds#geltest
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't put a price on the safety of you and those around you.

Do the research and find what suits your needs.

Golden sabers
Gold dots
HSTs.

Those are the three rounds I would recommend to anyone looking for a defensive capability.

Bullet weight would somewhat depend on barrel length.
Go with the heaviest round that shoots well and still has the velocity needed for proper expansion.

Golden sabers were my go to for years until investors raped Remington and I was forced to change brands. I will have to reevaluate what federal is doing now with this round, but currently this is what I am running.

.45 ACP 230gr
9mm 147gr
Both are shot from full size custom 1911s

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger/PDX1, Hornady Critical Duty/Defense, Remington Golden Saber.

Hell, these days, I'd stock up on Winchester White Box of the price was right...
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're short on/out of defensive carry ammo, I'd buy just about anything from a reputable mfg (IE skip the gimmicky stuff). Sig V Crown is fine. There are marginally better loadings but again, if the alternative is ball, grab a box or three.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have less than 100 rounds of self defense 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Federal premiums sight had stock of their new “punch” line thanks to a gd thread. Ordered 2 boxes of 9, 2 boxes of 380 for my mom. Plus 100 rounds of 380 fmj and 50 9mm fmj to get over the $150 free shipping minimum. Box arrived today. My federal HST’s are still my go to but it seems ammo is becoming more available so my advice is to be patient and not panic buy. Had people trying to sell my mom no name 380 fmj 50 round boxes for $60-70 each. I know, csb.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Locally I am seeing premium defensive loads going for not really that much more than FMJ range fodder. My LGS has 9x19 115gr.FMJ for $45/box of 50 rounds but is selling 124gr.HST for $60. Still 3x what it cost two years ago but available and not really all that much more than the “cheap” stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-personal-defense/
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-personal-defense/
View Quote

Although my go to personal defense ammo in both the nightstand queen (FNS-9C,) and carry gun (Sig P365XL) is Federal HST 147g, I was able to nab some of the new Federal "punch" 124g. 40 rounds from Federal direct, and 200 rounds from Natchez.

I also scored 80 rounds of Sierra Outdoor Master 124g JHP from Lucky Gunner. Have no idea if this is a decent round, but it's made in the USA. I'll run 20 rounds of it in the 365 for eval.

Get what you can OP, just don't go haywire doing so.

Rock on
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd avoid the sig JHP's , to put it politely they Ange from marginal at best to just outright suck. Federal HST in +p or standard pressure is go to, 124+p Gold dot has been killing people for decades. 115 gr and 147gr GD are ok, but not best.  Winchester Ranger t 147gr and 147gr B perform very well as well. Barnes tac xpc 115gr is great as well. Federal punch is ok but not great, Hornady critical defense 115gr works, but can give shallow penetration. 135gr +p Hornady critical duty is inconsistent at best, I would avoid it. Most things outside of this list I'd be leery of, if not outright avoid
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:Federal punch is ok but not great
View Quote

Well shit. And here I just loaded up on the 124g Punch...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well shit. And here I just loaded up on the 124g Punch...
View Quote

sorry if I freaked you out for a sec lol. Its perfectly fine fine normal self defense use use, its just not as good as HST in barrier performance and expansion
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sorry if I freaked you out for a sec lol. Its perfectly fine fine normal self defense use use, its just not as good as HST in barrier performance and expansion
View Quote

All good brother, I know it's not 147g HST.. but it's available. So I do deliberately practice (now and then) with the expensive stuff. A little bit at a time..

Rock on
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

All good brother, I know it's not 147g HST.. but it's available. So I do deliberately practice (now and then) with the expensive stuff. A little bit at a time..

Rock on
View Quote

for sure, especially now its whatever you can get your ands on, and the punch is a fine choice even in the salad days
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
That's about double what they'd go for on sale a couple years ago, but that was a couple years ago.  The Sig Elites always run well in my guns, my research on terminal performance says they're about middle of the road.  I'd buy some if you were low, I don't know that I'd bulk stock up at that price though.  I bought a little more than 200 rounds at $12.99 per 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Watch some gel tests of bullets on Youtube.

Buy various brands.

Test to see where those hit according to your fixed sights (adjustable sights have an advantage here).

See which load is reliable in your weapons.

Buy that whenever you can find it.

In the late 1990's, $1.00 per rounds for good defensive ammo was the norm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Locally I am seeing premium defensive loads going for not really that much more than FMJ range fodder. My LGS has 9x19 115gr.FMJ for $45/box of 50 rounds but is selling 124gr.HST for $60. Still 3x what it cost two years ago but available and not really all that much more than the “cheap” stuff.
View Quote

My LGS is exactly the same
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top