Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 5:08:43 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these?  What do you think about it?   Worth the price?

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/savage-arms-1911-government-45-auto-acp-5in-stainless-steel-pistol-81-rounds/p/1794034

Better options in that price range?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t owned a Savage that didn’t work, but these are relatively new to the market and I always try to wait a couple years for the bugs to work themselves out. Savage hasn’t done much in the way of handguns in a LONG time. For my money, I would go with a Springfield Operator or something else in that price range.  If they were getting their feet wet in the $700-800 price range I might be interested.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I know zero about Savage pistols. I do know you can buy a new Colt or SA, or a used DW with that budget.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know zero about Savage pistols. I do know you can buy a new Colt or SA, or a used DW with that budget.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That might be true, but Savage makes the hammer, disconnector and sear out of tool steel whereas those other places use MIM. If you want to stone your trigger and fine tune it or are MIM averse it might be worth it on that alone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Savage makes a lot of the small parts for or gun  companies , and have fo ryears I don`t people know that , they should be good to go but the price is hi I think , they have a lil different look but I like them .
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree, my first thought was buy a Ruger 1911, known commodity with good customer service for a cheaper price.  A Friend has a Ruger 9 MM Commander size 1911 and it is really a nice gun out of the box.   Good sights and trigger, 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That might be true, but Savage makes the hammer, disconnector and sear out of tool steel whereas those other places use MIM. If you want to stone your trigger and fine tune it or are MIM averse it might be worth it on that alone.
View Quote

Pretty sure DW uses tool steel for small parts.

But yeah savage screams budget to me, not that there’s anything wrong with it. I liked the styling but at that price there are a lot of other options to consider.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]

I've owned a Ruger for a while now.  Maybe a decade with 1000s of rounds a year through it.  Also have a Remington R1.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
That Savage is a nice looking gun.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe people will find it a very nice 1911 however too late in the game to make an impact.  Little too much billboard on slide as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top