Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2024 10:01:45 PM EDT
Recently picked up a M&P compact 2.0 and it came with a red apex trigger. The new 2.0 flat triggers are great and this one feels a little bit better. Would it be a total pain to swap this trigger to another M&P I have? I started watching the Apex YouTube video and it seems intense. Also is the factory hinge trigger worth anything? It came with that trigger also.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 M&Ps: 45C, 9, Shield (all early gen models).  I have Apex triggers in all of them that I installed. It was relatively straight forward to swap the trigger parts.  The only issues I could see is if other parts, such as the springs, sear, block, etc. have been updated.  Those are supposed to work with the factory setup.  You may just have to do it and test the triggers.

If you have to remove the rear sight to get at the striker block spring and block, the rear sight is a pain on most models to get off.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Worse part on the non optics gun is having to take off the rear sight to change the striker block.
Other than that its easy. Follow the apex videos on youtube.

Honestly if you put an apex ultimate sticker block in your other gun it wi be 90-95% of the full kit.

Basically smith needs to licsense the USB from apex and include it in  their guns. It takes the grit completely out of the trigger and the newer flat stock trigger is a good profile.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worse part on the non optics gun is having to take off the rear sight to change the striker block.
Other than that its easy. Follow the apex videos on youtube.

Honestly if you put an apex ultimate sticker block in your other gun it wi be 90-95% of the full kit.

Basically smith needs to licsense the USB from apex and include it in  their guns. It takes the grit completely out of the trigger and the newer flat stock trigger is a good profile.
View Quote

Amen!!! I think most M&P owners/shooters have been saying this for years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for the replies looks like I’ll just pick up the apex ultimate striker block.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Polymer FFS kit on 1 gun set with the stock Trigger return spring, and I believe one of the APEX sear springs (I don't remember exactly)
I have my metal frame stock with just an APEX USB installed in the slide
I have another 2.0 OR pistol stock other than I polished the USB with 1500 grit sandpaper in my drill.

They all pretty much feel the same.
The Full APEX kit has just a tad less Pretravel, a lighter trigger pull, and a short reset than the others.
Both of the other guns have just a tad less pretravel then the full kit, an not a whole lot heavier pull, but noticeable reset distance compared to the full kit.
The APEX USB is still noticeably better in feel vs the polished stock.
None have a glock like reset, but they are still good.
S&W really did a great job with the newer flattish trigger.

The full APEX polymer kit is great for $105, but to get 90-95% there with just a $40 usb, yea that's kinda hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree the Apex USB is the big bang for your buck when upgrading an M&P.  

I've now done Apex installs in multiple M&Ps, and the USB is the biggest jump in performance.  The process of swapping the trigger is not difficult, you just need to be careful and follow directions.  The first install I did I watched the videos through a couple of times, then watched the portion pertaining to each new step before starting.

The most recent install I simply tore down the M&P and installed all the parts without any need of reference.  I was pretty pleased with myself

Rmoving the rear sight on M&Ps is a pain in the ass.  Do not mess around with a sight pusher.  You will need a vise, punches and a hammer.  I typically need to remove factory installed sights with a steel punch, which damages the sight.  So I always plan to do a sight upgrade during the process of installing the USB.  

Every sight I've installed on a M&P has required significant stock removal to properly fit the dovetails.  I've found diamond files to be invaluable for filing down the sight.  I use non-marring brass or aluminum punches for installing new sights, once I've filed them to fit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I took the Apex trigger out of my 2.0. Put the hinged factory version back in feels the exact same as the Apex with the lightly radiused striker block I used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top