Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 12:22:59 AM EDT
Hey guys.

Can you help me value this gun? S&W 629 44mag. Has
original wood grips and wearing pachmyer grips (I didn't know but found out by emblem)
I don't know anything about wheel guns.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It's no lock, so that will give it extra appeal to collectors and people who refuse to buy S&Ws with the Hillary Hole
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
We need more info.
Open the cylinder. It's there a dash and number behind the 629 on the frame?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn’t take less than $800
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need more info.
Open the cylinder. It's there a dash and number behind the 629 on the frame?
View Quote

Yes. -2

ETA: below that is stamped 7  6
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t take less than $800
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks barely used, you might get 1k, more if you have ammo with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I think a 4 inch barrel is the perfect length on a Model 29. Nice, that will go for north of $800 on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun has rarely been shot. I inherited it from my dad (ETA: who got it new as b-day present from my mom).
He had a .357 almost identical to it. I took this one out
because it's easier to get to, sitting in front of the safe. Are
.357's same price as .44's??

I'm needing to evaluate all my firearms for insurance. I have his Browning 12ga
shotguns as well and their pristine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Good barrel length, no lock, and looks hardly used.

I would bet you could easily get $900-$950 for that. More depending on location.  Here in CO I would be surprised to see it listed for less than $1,000 right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have the original box for it ? The cardboard box is worth an extra 50-75 bucks .
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the $800 dollar range is pretty close to the mark and with those original grips its a big plus that would add at least a hundred bucks or more.  It was a much more common model compared to the 629-1 or the 629 no dash variations but at least its pre-lock and has forged parts.  The original box with paperwork and tools would add at least a hundred more around here.

Just for reference, a couple of years ago I sold a Model 629-1 locally for $770 which only had Hogue synthetic grips on it and no box.  I sold it when I had found a Model 629 no dash which was close to a grand although it has the original presentation case with papers and tools.  The older Smiths have actually been increasing lately.
Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Good money goes for one's in nice shape, this isn't. $650-$700. I wouldn't offer even that unless I wanted a shooter. Owner must polish it with sandpaper. I'd check lockup and endshake well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good money goes for one's in nice shape, this isn't. $650-$700. I wouldn't offer even that unless I wanted a shooter. Owner must polish it with sandpaper. I'd check lockup and endshake well.
View Quote

@fxntime Thanks for your insight.

Thanks for input guys.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I just paid 950- for a 629-6 5" Classic.  Maybe a little too much money but, the Smith and Wesson book states the 5" brings a 50% premium.  Pre-lock Smith's are going crazy on pricing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just paid 950- for a 629-6 5" Classic.  Maybe a little too much money but, the Smith and Wesson book states the 5" brings a 50% premium.  Pre-lock Smith's are going crazy on pricing.
View Quote

@davidenorth  Thanks. This gun was made before Smith closed their wood shop according to S&W.
I didn't know they hand carved those grips at one time. ETA: No wonder those grips add premium.

There is mention of forged parts in replies. I confirmed it, yes it is forged parts
in this one. That .357 is same.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@davidenorth  Thanks. This gun was made before Smith closed their wood shop according to S&W.
I didn't know they hand carved those grips at one time. ETA: No wonder those grips add premium.

There is mention of forged parts in replies. I confirmed it, yes it is forged parts
in this one. That .357 is same.

Thanks
View Quote

A nice set of smooth combat N frame grips are worth about 300 or so. The targets with that gun are 100/150, and the rubber grips add nothing as those were not original to that gun. Box a paper work is important for the entire worth of the package.

850/900 would be more than fair for the gun and rubber grips alone, and it's worth could be as much as 1200 with box, original grips, and paper work. That's depending on how good the condition of the gun is. A shooter grade gun will bring less than one that is like new in box.

Covid has driven the prices of a lot of classic Smiths up in the last year. I would look to insure it for 1200 at least. There are many factors when it comes to certain guns. This gun is desirable because it is a .44 Magnum that is a pre lock gun, but less desirable than one of the earlier iterations of 629 with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's no joke. Was just in Cabelas and they had a cool 29 that's a twin to my 629 Lew Horton. 3" Full lug unfluted cylinder with target hammer. They have it priced at 1699 because they paid too much for it but I bet they aren't that far over what it will eventually sell for.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Your gun will sell easily for over $1200.I have a classic 629-4 5” ,it’s the last gun that I will sell if I’m forced.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a -4 LNIB that looks exactly like the OP's.  It is round butt and came with Rubber Hogues from the factory.  

Every time I think about selling it I kick myself back to sanity.  I would never be able to replace it.  

Purchased in Castle Rock,Colorado new in 1998 for $497

Patrick

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a -4 LNIB that looks exactly like the OP's.  It is round butt and came with Rubber Hogues from the factory.  

Every time I think about selling it I kick myself back to sanity.  I would never be able to replace it.  

Patrick

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/EB294599-4419-4913-87E9-AAB7638FA6FF_jpe-1805064.JPG
View Quote

You need to put some beautiful wood combat grips on that!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/EB294599-4419-4913-87E9-AAB7638FA6FF_jpe-1805064.JPG

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
The gun that the OP has pictured has seen some use and shows peening on the cylinder stop slots and has scratches on the barrel, which will reduce the value. I have a 629-3 in excellent condition and would consider the value about $1,200 with the original grips. The S&W FGC for the N Frame SB are huge and do not feel very comfortable for me, while I love the FGC for the K frame SB revolvers.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The gun that the OP has pictured has seen some use and shows peening on the cylinder stop slots and has scratches on the barrel, which will reduce the value. I have a 629-3 in excellent condition and would consider the value about $1,200 with the original grips. The S&W FGC for the N Frame SB are huge and do not feel very comfortable for me, while I love the FGC for the K frame SB revolvers.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMc9cH45/S-W-629.jpg
View Quote

I wish I could source a pair of grips like that for my round butt 629.  Smith didn't make any until recent history and they are ugly and too thin.  I like the look and my hands are big.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/qMc9cH45/S-W-629.jpg
View Quote

Someone else mentioned scratches on the barrel. Can that be polished?
My father did shoot the gun back in the 80's and early 90's.

Full disclosure: I've had it over a decade now and have never fired it
or the .357 one. They've sat in my safe. Many scratches have occurred
in the safe but, I do know he had holsters for both of them.

I've never had interest in revolvers. The best thing I observe with
them over semi-auto's is that you can't limp wrist a revolver, but it
ends there as far as I can tell.

I'm definitely warming up to the J-frame though.

Nice looking pistola...
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wish I could source a pair of grips like that for my round butt 629.  Smith didn't make any until recent history and they are ugly and too thin.  I like the look and my hands are big.  

Patrick
View Quote

Smith told me that they closed their wood shop in the late 80's.
Those grips were made/carved by hand up until then I was told.

I suspect if they sell a wood grip nowadays, it's contracted.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Patrick

View Quote

Smith told me that mine was made either 1979 or 1981.
I have that .357 too. I don't remember which one was which year.
But, one was '79 and other was '81.

They have gone up in value for sure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
OP what state are you in ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

...Someone else mentioned scratches on the barrel. Can that be polished?
My father did shoot the gun back in the 80's and early 90's.

View Quote

It can be polished but the previously recommended sandpaper is not the best of choices. Grey 3M scouring pads with some polishing agent is what many folks usually recommend, at least for finishing up. It takes some elbow grease and you have to be careful not to swirl the pads but pull them in a straight line.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Patrick
View Quote

Patrick,
those are the target grips. The FGC, finger grooved combats, look different and have a slick finish. While my hands aren't exactly small, the N frame square butt FGC do not fit me very well, while the RB version does.

This is the same gun with the FGC

On a K frame they are a perfect fit for me but I removed the varnish and applied an oil finish.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]
No lock = $900

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I see just about any SW like that even fired a little 900 1200 range .they don`t make them like that any more .
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP what state are you in ?
View Quote

Texas
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are .357's same price as .44's??
View Quote

Ammo? No. .44 mag and/or special ammo is a bit higher than .357mag ammo.

Guns? They're usually pretty close but it depends a lot on which model(s) are being compared.

Value on a 629-2 will vary a little bit depending on region of the US as well. A safe assumption on retail value on this one would be in the $750-900 range, IMO. Right now everyone is buying semi's, which drops revolver pricing just a bit.

If it's for insurance value only I would certainly opt for the $900 value. If the box is included, I'd go as far as a grand.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd bet the issue is with the cell phone pics & not the gun.

As for "checking lockup & end shake", did you not read his dad owned it since it was new?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the 5" Classic as well. I'd say the 50% premium is WAY too high, IMO. 10-20%, maybe but no way 50%.

I really haven't noticed much movement on pricing in pre-lock Smiths. I've seen several sell for less than asking price as well. The overwhelming majority of buyers are opting for semi's these days. On revolvers, it's a buyer's market, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's no joke. Was just in Cabelas and they had a cool 29 that's a twin to my 629 Lew Horton. 3" Full lug unfluted cylinder with target hammer. They have it priced at 1699 because they paid too much for it but I bet they aren't that far over what it will eventually sell for.
View Quote

3" barrels bring a premium on the market. I agree they're into it too much but that gun should sell for $1200-1300 in the SE region, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your gun will sell easily for over $1200.I have a classic 629-4 5” ,it’s the last gun that I will sell if I’m forced.
View Quote

Gun shops love seeing customers like you.

There's no way OP's 629 would bring over $1200 unless Clint Eastwood was selling it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Someone else mentioned scratches on the barrel. Can that be polished?

Full disclosure: I've had it over a decade now and have never fired it or the .357 one. They've sat in my safe. Many scratches have occurred in the safe but, I do know he had holsters for both of them.

I've never had interest in revolvers. The best thing I observe with them over semi-auto's is that you can't limp wrist a revolver, but it ends there as far as I can tell.
View Quote

As I wrote earlier, I'm betting the cell phone pics are the culprit rather than the gun's finish itself, IMO. Back off the gun to about 2 feet or so before you take pics next time. It cuts down on the glare that stainless steel gets from the flash.

Another benefit of revolvers is their reliability over a semi. It's really hard to make a revolver malfunction but it can happen if things get sideways. One can also go waaaaaaaay down on the power factor with a revolver because there's no slide to make run with recoil.

Yes, stainless steel revolvers can be polished/buffed up when it's needed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Whether this gun is worth $750-1200 really makes no difference to
me other than more value cost me more for insurance.

This is a solid gun and as one post hit right on, it's not near
the appearance as it looks in the close up pic. It does look
better than the pic.

I also attempted to measure "end-shake". What the freck is that???
Neither one of these revolvers have it. Very solid indeed.

ETA: I did ask for opinions to value it for insurance.

But, for sure, there is NO end shake and their not for sale.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As I wrote earlier, I'm betting the cell phone pics are the culprit rather than the gun's finish itself, IMO. Back off the gun to about 2 feet or so before you take pics next time. It cuts down on the glare that stainless steel gets from the flash.

Another benefit of revolvers is their reliability over a semi. It's really hard to make a revolver malfunction but it can happen if things get sideways. One can also go waaaaaaaay down on the power factor with a revolver because there's no slide to make run with recoil.

Yes, stainless steel revolvers can be polished/buffed up when it's needed.
View Quote

you are very correct sir.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I also attempted to measure "end-shake". What the freck is that??? Neither one of these revolvers have it. Very solid indeed.
View Quote

End shake is when a revolver has been shot to death or close to it. This results in the gun getting out of spec with the cylinder fit. I don't recall if it's because of the frame stretching or the cylinder getting skrunched a bit? Or a combo of both? It takes lots of high powered rds to affect a quality gun like a 629 this way. Clearly neither you nor your dad have fired enough rds to even think about this issue, much less having to worry about it.

Visit Altamont Grips' web site & look at their rosewood grips. I've put them on almost all of my S&W revolvers. Makes a huge, huge upgrade over rubber or OEM grips.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There's no way OP's 629 would bring over $1200 unless Clint Eastwood was selling it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?Keywords=629&PageSize=24&Sort=13&View=1&PageIndex=2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top